Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
4X4's

I'm still trying to gather information about Montanas and trucks. I've noticed many of you tow with 4 X 4's. I'm wondering what considerations went into your choice? Just looking for help. Thanks.

Dave

dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, the best reason for us to have a 4x4 is right here at my house. In order to "jump" the curb while backing along side my house, I use the 4x4, otherwise, I just spin my tires.
One of the first times I used the 4x4 was to help out a friend at a cg where he couldn't get out from under his 5er on wet grass. From that point on, I use it cause "I can".
I'll not argue with anyone about mpg's, I know I don't get as good as 2wd, but that was my choice.
This is only my honest opinion and should not be taken as a "rule"!
p.s. My next truck will be a dually with 4x4.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

I think it might just be geographic. Here in Colorado you just don't find 2-wheel drive trucks unless they are stripped down work trucks. If you do have a 2WD, they are hard to sell here.

As far as needing 4X4? It's kind of like cell phones, garage door openers, and sprinkler systems, we get by fine without them but once we have them we swear we could never live without them. There are plenty of folks that RV with 2WD and do fine. Now, as far as what we do with the truck after it's disconnected, that is a whole new story. Mine gets me to work in the snow, takes me to the back country fishing, launches the boat on a sandy shore, and looks cool .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Dave,
My main reason for choosing a 4X4 was due to where I live (Colorado) and when I travel sometimes. Example this past Jan. on our way to Yuma, AZ for a month I got caught in a bad snow storm neat Santa Fe, NM. I was pulling with my older 4X4 truck. I had to use the 4 wheel drive. If I had had only 2X it would have been a problem. Of course I don't make plans to travel in snow storms or in bad road conditions, but it does happen sometimes. Sometimes you just happen upon a storm and get caught in it.
I do know people who get by with a 2X and rarely ever needing a 4X4. Sometimes the 4 wheel drive helps backing also. Where I park at home I have to back over grass into gravel. With my older truck I had to use 4X4 to keep from spinning when the trailer got into the gravel. If you have those occasions where you might need a 4X4 pulling the Monty or just driving the truck without the trailer I would consider a 4X4.
I have owned nothing but 4X4s since the early 8os.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dave,
I live in Northern California, no snow or ice. You give up a little tow weight and a little mpg but like Brad said, once you have one... I pull boats and personal watercraft frequently and love the convenience of a 4x4.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
dcpark,

My answer would be identical to bsmeaton's, with the only difference being the state in which I live, New Mexico. I bought my first 4x4 in 1981, and with the exception of one 1979 pickup, everything I own is four wheel drive.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Re-sale value in my part of the country (Indiana) and there have been a couple of times when trying to back into a camp slot I had to switch to 4 wheel to keep from spinning tires. Then there was a time in Florida that I got my back wheels off the paved road in sand that had it not been for the fronts being on the pavement I would have been calling the tow truck.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Even native Texans own 4x4s. All my tow vehicles have been 4x4 because of some the campsites I visit are grass and I've needed four wheels pulling after a rain. I still get 20 MPG on the highway with my 4WD Duramax when my hitch is not installed.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I bought my truck in Alaska, home of the 4 wheelers. It has come in handy on many different ocassions. I especially like it while backing into a spot. Not only do I get better traction but in 4WD you have better control over the accelerator. I have also used it "off-roading" and had it not been for the 4WD I wouldn't have. Many do without it. My brother in law has a 10 year old F350 Dually that he pulls his 34' fiver with and has never needed a 4WD, Of course my sister says differently. I think a lot of it is personal choice but I would not be without one...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Can only echo what others have said. We are in central Oregon at 4200'+ and use 4x4 when we need it in the snow, on Forest Service roads, or for extra "dig in" (mud, slippery grass, etc.) Like Emmel, won't argue about mpg with a 4x4, but like Brenda, our mileage has been over 20 when not towing and above average when towing (so far). Matter of personal preference and what all you use your truck for.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had 4 trucks..This 08 is the first 4X4. Although we live in Northern Ohio, Snow country we did not drive the trucks in Snow.We camped in G.G's all over Ohio, Ind, Mich and Pa and never had the need for a 4X4. We spent last winter in Az and did a lot of careening around the desert rock hunting in our 05 4X2..not a good thing.. Wanted a new truck..this one had 4X4..it will not hurt to have it..so we got it.. Execpt to check that it works have never used it. But..By George..if we need it.... we got it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Dave,

I believe that 95% of the time you will not have use for 4WD. Having said that, the 5% in my opinion, is critical. It is surprising how wet grass, small amounts of mud, loose sand or mud and sand on a grade will nearly make it impossible to move a large unit will only 2WD. As was mentioned before trying to push your trailer over a small curb with sand on the street can be a challenge. As a plus to the 4WD we have gone some places (without the 5th wheel) that we would not have attempted with a 2WD truck. This has provided us with some very rewarding sites and opportunities that we would have missed. We have pulled 5th wheels with both types of trucks and just feel much more comfortable with the 4WD.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have a 4x4 for much the same reasons as everyone has mentioned so far. One additional small advantage that comes along with 4x4 is the ability to switch into a a low gear range. That has been useful at times, and seems to help with positioning and hitching up in some conditions.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
I've owned a truck almost my entire adult life and this is my first 4x4. To be honest, I did not think I would ever need it. I was wrong. The very first time I moved the 5th wheel out of a campground, as I pulled forward the rear of the truck sank and I lost traction. Scared me to death, I thought I had dropped the 5er on the truck. Got out and saw that both rear tires had gone thru the cement lid of an underground old septic tank. Not up to the axle, but close. I threw it in 4 wheel drive, pulled out easily, and was able to maneuver the trailer tires around the sink (stink) hole.

Since then I've used it several times to get myself or someone else out of a bind. Hopefully this truck will last a lot longer, but when it's time to replace it, it'll be with another 4x4, maybe even a dually.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My last 2 trucks have been 4x4 because there were very few choices on the lot in the 4x2 variety in the Lariat and/or King Ranch package. For every 10 4x4 on the lots, there may be 3 4x2.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Looks like I'm the lone dissenter. I'm on truck number eight, never had a 4wd, never had any use for a 4wd, never intend to have a 4wd. Snows very little where I live, don't tow if the weather is bad and have never been in a CG I can't get out of with 2500# of pin weight in the bed. If I have any question of whether or not I can get in/out of a place, I don't go there.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
First time I bought 4x4 it was before winter. Then came snow and I saw difference between 4x2 and 4x4. I would never buy another 4x2 and on the
top of it I live on Long Island where we have great access to ocean beaches where 4x4 is the must.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
A few years ago an old farmer-rancher friend, was over at my place, we were having a Coke and some potato chips which he really liked, he was around 90 years old at the time. He noticed that I had a new pickup truck, and was interested, so we spent some time together looking at it and talking about it. He finally mentioned about it being a 4 wheel drive, I replied, yessir it is. He said a 4 wheel drive truck means you will be farther from the house when you get stuck. I would not disagree with him, however , I am still driving 4 wheel drive pickups, and think its the way to go. As a footnote,I have been over to his place a time or two with my tractor or my "4 wheel drive pick up truck" to pull him out from being stuck. We haven't talked much lately about 4 wheel drive. God love him.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've always tried to have a back up plan in reserve, and if I've exhausted the reserve, I better have the nose pointed home.

If the road ahead only needs 2WD, then 4WD is my reserve
If the road ahead needs 4WD, then CHAINS are my reserve
If the road ahead needs chained 4WD, then a WINCH is my reserve
If I'm WINCHING myself out, an unstuck buddy is my reserve
If my buddy is stuck too, then I'm walking............

May not apply much to RVing, but comes in handy when your off the pavement.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In Texas, we get to drive on some nice beaches. (Yes there is water in Texas) My 4X4 F350 King Ranch is just right for that type touring. For towing, it's great also, but I have not had to use it when towing - yet!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote