Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Diesel Gelling?

Ok all you diesel long timers out there. I have dealt with diesel tractors over the years but never a diesel pickup in winter.
What do I need to do to prevent gelling of the diesel? Is the new low sulphur diesel designed to be less apt to gel? When its below 40 degrees out I plug the block heater in at night but other than that I am still curious about how to keep the diesel from freezing up.
I know its something I should have known before I madee the purchase but here we are with witner closing in and overnights in the 30s or below.
Thanks in Advance.
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I see you are driving a Dodge. Your owner's manual should give you a run down for your truck and which non-gel additive they approve.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Check with the diesel suppliers in your area and see if the y are suppling winter fuel or if the new fuel has a low enough parifane wax content.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
allegedly the winter blend diesel fuel should have a anti gel agent in it. Somehow I do not trust that statement..neither does the diesel mechanics that care for our busses as they provide us with a additive that contains anti gel agent.. I now use a centin booster ani gel agent in the 6.4L as it is now at the near freezing mark weather here in Northern Ohio..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I have had my truck in temperatures down to 15 to 20 below freezing and the fuel never had any gelling problems, Maybe lucky or the right fuel, I would have to say that just about all winter blends of diesel would be good to 0 degrees Good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Never needed an additive and it gets pretty damn cold in Canada. Just plug it in when the temp. drops to 20 or so. Your manual should tell you at what temp to do that.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
The only time I have ever had a problem was when the temps were below -20 degrees F with a wind blowing with a chill factor of -60 to -70. Fuel lines start to get sensitive then.
If you put the skirt on it shouldn't be a problem, I think. That said I use an additive when the temps stay in the single digits.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
How to keep diesel from gelling? Simple solution; South TX. (jk I had an old '82 6.2L Chevy. Had a stretch of weather in the teens there in East TX, had it plugged in. Made it about 1 mile from the house and she shut down. I went to IL a few years (in February), and I used additive from Wally World. Actually saw one station up there where you could dial your own blend of winter fuel. Decided it was better to stay down here in the winter.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The book on the 08 6.4 says you need not use the block heater till the temps are at -10F. Don't think that will happen in Flordia. I am no expert ..matter of fact I know little about engines of any kind. Our Diesel guys say use the additive in the busses..I figure they know something I do not so I use it in the 6.4L
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
We have run diesels for some time. Buy your fuel at a reputable, nationally recognized station. The most trouble comes when you purchase your fuel in the south during the winter, and then run up north on that same tank. The fuel purchased in the south is not prepped for running in the south. There is no real concern about gelling until the temperature runs well below freezing. Of course, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I would use an anti-gel additive. Power Serve is a good one. When we lived full time in Iowa, I used it every winter and avoided any gel-ups. Others who didn't use any additive had gelling problems. Merely plugging your truck in at night only allows the block to be warmer and allow the engine to start easily. However, if you don't have an ant-gel additive in your fuel (or a winter blend of #1 & #2 diesel) then the 15-20 below zero winter temps will cause gelling problems as you drive down the highway.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Anti gelling additive will not hurt the diesel engine. If you think you need it use it. Rich I think the reason they use the anti gelling additive in the buses is they CAN NOT have a school bus quit running out on the road with a load of kids become stranded. I would image there would be h%*l to pay. Anti gelling is fine and good insurance IMHO.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the Duramax and use GM's diesel fuel conditioner year round. It contains the anti-gel additive plus the additional additives for increasing the new ULSD lubricity.

When the temps drop below 25 degrees, I will plug the truck in. I have it set on a timer to come on 4 hours before I plan on heading out the next day. Sure nice to have that baby already warmed up when starting in the morning. I will not put the grill bra on until temps are into single digits or below zero.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We do the timer thing too, set for 2 hours before we go to work. Have yet to use anti-gel additive.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Timer...What a good idea..makes perfect sense..I never thought of that....thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I run the Duramax and use GM's diesel fuel conditioner year round. It contains the anti-gel additive plus the additional additives for increasing the new ULSD lubricity.

When the temps drop below 25 degrees, I will plug the truck in. I have it set on a timer to come on 4 hours before I plan on heading out the next day. Sure nice to have that baby already warmed up when starting in the morning. I will not put the grill bra on until temps are into single digits or below zero.
This is almost what I plan to do my first winter with my diesel...it seems to be recommended to use the grill cover below 25 degrees, and plugging it in down around zero.
The timer makes perfect sense, and from what I have read, those heaters are real energy hogs. I sure do like the idea of a warm truck though, mine is already making more noise starting up in below freezing temps - at least until it starts to warm up.
Oh...and the additive is Stanadyne, as that is what GM recommends.
I've been using it since day 1, and so far the cost seems to be covering itself in fuel savings...besides the uncertainty of this new fuel, I do feel a bit more secure.
I also just changed the fuel filter to get it through the winter along with spares in case I need to change something on the road.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've run a diesel pickup for 6 years now here in Kansas and have never had a gelling problem with fuel straight from the pump. Temps usually in the 20's in mid winter down to an occasional single digit. The block heater is a plus ... usually plug mine in around mid 20 degree mark. You just have to get used to a slower warmup time and a faster cool off time. The snap on radiator bra's work well also. I do carry a bottle of Power Service Diesel 911 (deicer), but I've never had the need to use it to see how effective it is.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I have had my diesel truck for 7 years and until last year spent the time in North Idaho. I have never had to use any antigel or use anything in front of the radiator. The stations start with the winter blend in Oct. I rarely plug in my truck. We now spend the winter months in Az and cold is no longer an issue.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I have had a diesel truck here in Wisconsin for the last 10+ years with no problems from fuel gelling. With the advent of the new ultra low sulfur fuels our fire department mechanics have been using an additive in every rig, every tank all year long. They state the new fuel starts gelling under 32 degrees. These are rigs that start out in a heated garage all year long. The additives the oil companies add should keep the fuel from gelling however,they use them for all the advantages. More cetane, more lubrication, less smoking, helps keep the injectors clean, helps eliminate algae and water problems, as well as it's anti-gelling capabilities. I sound like a commercial. On their advise I have been adding it every tank for the past year in my two diesel vehicles. I don't know if it helps but it is cheap insurance for all the unknowns with todays fuels.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use the timer for the sole purpose of allowing the truck to "cool" down after parking it for the night. I used to plug it in immediately after pulling into the drive, but last year I had the check engine light come on. Reason was, the computer recognized the truck was keeping a constant temp for more than 8 hours while the engine was not running. This caused the overheat engine code to trigger the light.

Bruce,
I have plugged my diesels in almost every night since 2002 during the months of Nov to early April. Typically they were plugged in for 10+ hours each night before going to my 4 hour timer program. My winter electric bill increased a very small $$ each month which I contribute to just operating the house at those lower temps as well as keeping the truck plugged in. I doubt you will even notice the increase in your bill from plugging your truck in.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote