Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Montana_1722

M.O.C. #1722
Leaf Spring Shackle Bolts

My first post!

Just returned from a trip to Association Island in Henderson, NY - Nice!

When I arrived home and was chocking my 2004 318BHS, It didn't fit between the wheels. I looked underneath and was SHOCKED to see that the leaf spring linkage had detached from the rear because of a bolt missing. I further discovered that the only thing holding the front axle on was the bolt in the front shackle and there was NO nut on it!!!

The rear spring had one nut missing and the rear nut was loose and I could turn it with my fingers. I am still amazed that my family and I returned home safe...Thank God.

I contacted Keystone customer relations to let them know of the problem and they sent me to the dealer. My dealer has no mobile service and they are going to get back to me on how to resolve this issue. I will keep you updated.

I only have about 1500 miles on the Mountaineer. I also lost two shelves in the rear pantry due to staples pulling out. The shelves were not overloaded and we didn't hit any big bumps. I'm guessing that the shelves broke because the suspension was not working.

Has anyone else experienced any issue like this? My unit was manufactured in June 2003. Please take a moment to check your shackles and spring linkage.

I'm still in shock,

Kevin

Montana_1722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You are having difficulty with the dealer and need to repair the shackle yourself, NAPA has the bolts and nuts.

Keystone should at least be able to overnite the parts to You.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:29 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Yes... the wheels fell off my 2003 Montana at the end of May. Check my post Al-ko axles under problems & technical help. Page 2 of this category.

Your axels should be checked daily and serviced every 6 months or 6000 miles. This was a big surprise as no one at the dealership mentioned it.

I will post photos when repairs are made but I would like to stress that everyone check the bolts at the spring ends and look for wear to the shackles. Mine passed a casual visual inspection prior to leaveing home and were failing 3,000 miles later.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Kevin and Gruffy,

Thanks for sharing the information. It might prevent a serious accident. I have been checking the wheel well area ever since the intial frame cracking problems on the 99 2000 models.

I think checking this area would apply to any 5er. Only takes a couple of minutes to do.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #5
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
i did have this type of problem on a 2001 278EFS Cougar (also a keystone product)
i had a problem with the leaf springs breaking. the camper wasnt overloaded, but it broke the rear, pasenger side leaf spring two times. i finally replaced the spring with one from a different company and never had any more troubles. also one of the shackles had the hole the bolt goes through wear so bad that the hole almost broke through the end of the shackle.
for replacement springs, shackles, and bolts, i went through Redneck Trailer Supplies.
after replacing the worn and broken parts with Redneck parts i had no more problems.
Keystone wasnt much help on this issue. the first spring they paid for the repair at another dealer. the second spring was out of warranty by 4 months and they never even replied to my calls and letters.
since that experiance i always keep an eye on the suspension.
here is a link to Redneck if you need it.
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/
hope this will help
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Before any trip and return trip it is best to check and inspect your unit/s. It's always best to check tires and spring every 100 to 125 miles. Your tiers can cause tires fires if they get to hot also the spring and suspention with the weight can cause bolts and nuts to loosen. Your post is very informative and helpful.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I am so glad you did arrive home safe. Thanks for this information. I'm planning on pulling out next week so I will check this out. for sure.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
One more thing to put on the to do list. I do a good walk around each trip, figured undercarraige would be a bi annual thing, better start checking this more often, thanks!
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote