Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
external trip computer

A while back there was a post on an external trip computer that plugs into the diagnostic port of your vehicle. (I searched for the post with no luck) A RVing friend and gadget guy just picked up one. He showed it to me last night.
When the topic originally showed I was doubtful about its accuracy. After looking at Rick's "toy" I have a different feeling.
First I was doubtful of the "sensors" on the newer vehicles. I felt you would have to add them. Now I feel the newer vehicles already have the sensors for the computer to properly manage the engine performance. Some sensors are considered "enhanced monitoring".
Rick was impressed with the system. It serves three functions: as a gages system reporting on individual sensors, as a trip computer, and as a error code reader (it only displays the code - you have to determine what the numbers mean based on your vehicle).
His Ford van has a temperature sensor in the transmission even though it does not have a transmission temp gage so the device displayed that info in the gage mode.
If your Tow Vehicle already has the "enhanced" sensors it can really provide a lot of extra info that is available to the computer.
My Banks electronic uses the diagnostics port so I would need to pigtail into it if I had this display.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
John, I think you are correct. Everything is in place, they (auto manufacturers)just make the DIC an option. There may be a couple sensors lacking; things such as fuel filter percent, gas consumption, etc., but the vital engine and tranny sensors should be there.

I looked into adding steering wheel controls for cruise and radio, and all you have to do is add the steering wheel components and have the computer updated with a Tech II (on my GMC). Amazing what is in our vehicles today.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I had a Cummins software package that ran on a Palm Pilot on my 2001. When I got my 2004.5 I found out that Dodge had Cummins turn off the feature in the ECM. Thanks a lot Dodge. It would show the flow rate of fuel (not mileage)along with other items including a hourmeter.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
John,
Do you know the manufacturer and model of the one your friend purchased? I have been looking at the "Scan Gauge II". Seems like it provides a lot of data for not to much $$$.
r,
Jack
Old 07-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

John,
Do you know the manufacturer and model of the one your friend purchased? I have been looking at the "Scan Gauge II". Seems like it provides a lot of data for not to much $$$.
r,
Jack
Jack,
That is the one and he said around $150.
Cheers,
Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Thanks John.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
The Scan Gauge II is the one I posted about earlier. I had just bought a OBD scanner and wish I had known about the Scan Gauge II. Yes, I agree! It seems like a great investment for any of us towing and being serious about mileage and performance....

http://www.scangauge.com/

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You know John, it seems that Richfaa has some monitor that allows for transmission temp gage. I maybe wrong but he may come along and clarify. The scan gage sounds interesting...man and machines!! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

You know John, it seems that Richfaa has some monitor that allows for transmission temp gage. I maybe wrong but he may come along and clarify. The scan gage sounds interesting...man and machines!! Dennis
If your vehicle has the extra package (how we know I am not sure) you can display those things. Rick's Ford Van did allow him to see his Automatic Transmission temp on the scan gage because he has the "extras".