Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Truck repairs

The failure of the power steering and power brakes was due to failure of the hydro boost. That part was ordered and will be replaced along with replacing the power steering pump. This should happen tomorrow and we should be good to go.

It seems that Ford uses a hydro boost to help increase braking power over what could be accomplished with a vacuum boost as is used in a car or light truck. Maybe other brands of heavy duty trucks do the same, but I am unaware of what other brands do.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The reason of hydro boost is that diesels have no vacuum as cars or gas engines do. The manufactures then have to go a different way when diesel. 18 wheelers use air brakes but we do not have a air compressor so they assist the brakes with hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. I think all small trucks from all manufactures use hydro boost. This is the first time I have heard of one going bad. Mine leaks but a little but I have put a seal softener in the oil. I need to change the oil in the power steering-hydro boost this fall.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, I got it now, I asked on your other post about the hydro-boost.
Thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hope that's not a common failure Stiles. I use my brakes and steering quite a bit on Wolf Creek Pass! gulp

Interesting, I didn't know deisels didn't have vacuum. Guess that explains it. I just figured it was a Ford thing. I had a 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V with power steering assisted rear anti-lock 4 wheel disk brakes. It wasn't an option, rather the first prototype run of that approach years before it became common production.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote