Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Save $$ on Arizona Diesel?

I have no idea whether this applies across the board in all of Arizona or only at the two stations I have recently frequented.

I filled our tank at two different stations in Cottonwood, AZ recently. In both cases, while the tank was filling I read the fine print on the various labels on the pump body. One of them indicated that the pump price includes tax for those vehicles that meet one of two or three criteria, including GVWR over 26,000 lbs, or something like that. It said if you are filling a light vehicle meeting none of those criteria, see the attendant for an 8 cent per gallon rebate. In both cases I went inside with my receipts, the attendant asked my truck license plate number, put it and the number of gallons on a line on a sheet on a clipboard, had me sign the line, and gave me the cash.

Those may be the only two stations in Arizona that do this but it might be worth your while to read those stickers on the pump. Just in case.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Please list those stations if you would as we will be in Cottonwood in 3 weeks. We're in Yuma and I've never heard of this.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
It's most all stations in AZ. You must have been at the truck pumps. The car and RV pumps are priced at the lower (?) tax rate.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It sounds like some stations with both truck pumps and car pumps just post the correct price at each. The two I mentioned do not have separate truck pumps. So I guess they have the rebate for the car/rv customers. But they must be making some extra cash since apparently a lot of customers are not aware and don't go in and get the rebate. The store keeps the extra in that case.

49Merc, the two stations --

Giant, at the NW corner of Hwy 260 and Hwy 89A. There are two of those intersections. This is the northernmost of the two.

Spirit, on Hwy 260, just north of the Walmart SuperCenter and on the opposite (east) side of the road. By the traffic light.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Thanks Steve.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
These pricing situations happen frequently through out AZ as the big boys get hit with an extra tax to compensate for the wear and tear on the roads. If the station has both kinds of pump pricing then make sure you use the lower priced one as these stations do not offer the refund. Also note that as you travel along the highway Love's and Flying J's post the higher price on the bill board as they are tuned into the trucks. Just make sure you use the car/rv pumps to get an 8 cent lower price.. Also, be aware that this same situation exists in New Mexico.

ON EDIT: Steve, the store doesn't get to keep the difference, it goes to the state unless it is specifically refunded -- hence the list you signed.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ran into the opposite situation in Illinois last fall - had to have a commercial number on the truck to get a lower price for diesel. I didn't know it and when I went in to settle they raised the price on me. Only time that I've ever had that happen, albeit, also the only time I've been in Illinois and bought diesel..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Good bit of info. Went to Q-site and wondered why the truck were charged more than the cars. Also when I was leaving someone told me that the fuel at the Flying J was more expensive than a nearby Texaco, what I found out after buying at the Texaco, was that the person that told me that, had been looking at the truck price.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Steve, When we were in Camp Verde, I would take my card into the station, the attendant would put our info on the list, and charge us the lower price - it's been a couple years, but I think it was posted on the pump to pay inside.

Karen
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Karen, that's a good idea, especially since I have to go inside to get the refund anyhow. Thanks. It also would make it easier when the pumps have the $50 credit card limit and I have to shut it down and start the pump again (one of my pet peeves).