Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #21
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
I also would have thought a dually with a fifth wheel on the bed would qualify as a truck tractor......albeit a light duty one.

6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #22
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
In some states I have notice fifth wheels with semi trailer plates on them. would this be classified as a semi truck trailer?
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I am not sure, but if someone with a truck-tractor, could tell us what it says on the registration, it may help. If there is a different code, then one could possibly register there vehicle as a truck-tractor. Be prepared to pay a higher registration fee!

All my life I have referred to a truck with a 40' box trailer, or look-a-likes, as a "tractor-trailer," (Semi Tractor-Trailer) and when they are separated they are the "tractor," and the "trailer," as individual items. I have never referred to a 1 ton dually as a "tractor."

I don't think Texas DPS does either, but it could possibly be fought in court since the definition of a tractor in Wikipedia is:

"A tractor is a vehicle specifically designed to provide a high tractive effort at slow speeds, for the purposes of hauling a trailer or machinery used in agriculture or construction. Most commonly, the term is used to describe the distinctive farm vehicle: agricultural implements may be towed behind or mounted on the tractor, and the tractor may also provide a source of power if the implement is mechanised. Another common use of the term is for the power unit of a semi-trailer truck"

As 6.7 said - just might be so.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote