Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Travel to The Canadian Maritimes

We are planning a trip to The Canadian Maritimes this coming summer. We will be coming from the west on Interstate 40 through Montreal. For those that have traveled with their fifth wheels from Montreal east through Quebec into New Brunswick, then Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, I’m looking for advice on roads/highways that are RV friendly. Generally speaking, seems like I’ve heard the northeast U.S. has narrow roads and low clearances. So, roads in Canada to avoid would also be welcome information. Our primary focus is visiting the three Maritime Provinces. Our departure will be down through Maine. Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Larry and Sandy,
See our 2011 travels in the Northeast and Canadian Maritimes at http://www.mytripjournal.com/millingtontravel
Any questions, send them to me. As you will see we did not travel the Montreal to New Brunswick route--so no info on that. We did experience low bridges in the Northeast and used some software on bridge heights to avoid these. In fact entering Canada from Maine at Calais, NB, the clearance at the Canadian side of the border was too low and they worked us around it. We took a trucking route to return with no clearance issues. Great place to visit--enjoy your trip.
Suggestion--I converted my RV height clearance in feet and inches to meters and posted it on my dash board for quick reference.
Tim Millington
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Ronthecanadian
Established Member

M.O.C. #17882
Larry/Sandy,
You will have no issues travelling from Montreal to New Brunswick via Hwy 20. It is a wide open Hwy, two lanes each way separated by a large boulevard. Was well maintained with lots of rest stops.
Travelling through Montreal Hwy 40 has tight lanes always has construction in. The summer, and best traveled on off hours including weekends. Check the height of the tunnel under the St. Lawrence River. You may be restricted to the bridge on the west side of the city, unless you are travelling on the north shore to Trois Rivers and cross at the bridge there. If travelling into Quebec City (a must see) plan on camping on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, and drive into the city.
In New Brunswick again no issues if you take the New super expressway (but you will miss a lot of the character of the province. You will not get through any covered bridges. But there are a few to go to and see/photograph.

The bridge to PEI and the roads are good, most roads in PEI off the Hwy are basic country rds, fun to drive (but I was only in a car no fifth wheel at the time).

All major hays in Canada will not pose any issues.

Enjoy yourself, we are planning on travelling to the East Coast late summer with the trailer.

One thing to consider, on our last trip, the PEI provincial parks close around Labour day.(1st week in September). Check their site for final day.

Hope this is helpful
Ronthecanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
drop us a line and my wife can talk to you about what we did. we plan on going on another trip in a few years.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
If you are driving east through Ontario and Quebec, before you get to Montreal, take Highway 30. It bypasses Montreal and is RV friendly. This is a new road they put in to avoid Montreal. We took it in 2015 with our previous fifth wheel.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote