Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Composite steps in newer fivers

I am always out looking at the new fifth wheels just to see whatnew products are being used. I have observed in many of the 16, 17 models a composite type product being installed on the steps inside. Some have a slight radius to the front edge, with different tread patterns etched into the surface.I have searched on line without any luck. Has anyone else looked into this product or possibly have these in your newer rigs. These stair treads look like they may be the answer to worn looking carpet that always takes a beating on stairs. Any info or direction where to search would be of much help.

As always, Thanks to all for any input, Keith

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Following with interest.
I just spoke to the wife about doing the remod
and take out the step carpet.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I priced them for my 2015 3790rd through the dealer and they were really pricey. It was going to cost me about $600 to do all 4 stairs and I know I can make wooden ones cheaper. Haven't got around to doing it yet but it is on the to do list.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Hogfan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16088
we were told at the Rally last year that you could order through your dealer.
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
I am always out looking at the new fifth wheels just to see whatnew products are being used. I have observed in many of the 16, 17 models a composite type product being installed on the steps inside. Some have a slight radius to the front edge, with different tread patterns etched into the surface.I have searched on line without any luck. Has anyone else looked into this product or possibly have these in your newer rigs. These stair treads look like they may be the answer to worn looking carpet that always takes a beating on stairs. Any info or direction where to search would be of much help.

As always, Thanks to all for any input, Keith
The new treads are MDF stained 'Wenge' and nobody seems to be able to tell me what the dimensions are except the length..What they CAN tell me is they're 50 bucks apiece!
I am in the process of making new stairs in our 3610. The collection of scraps stapled together with carpet stapled to them hardly qualified as stairs.

Mark
Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Not a big fan of carpet on the stairs. So we bought a carpet runner from wallmart and stapled the runner to the steps and passed the bathroom to the bedroom and no more wear on the carpet. and when it gets dirty we remove the staples and wash the rug. And it keeps the carpets in great condition for resale.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We priced them from the dealer, price was outrageous so I got the solid stair treads from Home depot and made them to fit, stained and urethaned them with several coats of the water based and they look marvelous, also made some improvements to the stair frames while I was doing the upgrade. Hardest part is getting the carpet off and the staples out...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The steps are Not very pretty when you take them apart. We have had the same steps in two Montana's since 2006 and they have not collapsed or fell apart.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
I replaced the carpet stairs in our previous Monty with the new composite. I used all new wood and had obtained the new composite stairs at the National Rally. I found using 3/4" plywood for the stairs added more stability. I then fixed the composite top to the plywood. Just shorten the legs to keep the original height dimension.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote