Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
alicefaye

M.O.C. #6493
Send a message via AIM to alicefaye

Just recently joined your group here. We are seriously looking to buy a Montana coach but found out today when looking that it did not have the high gloss gelcoat. Does come with a gelcoat but we could see some fine line fibers [to me looks like cracks]through the coating and wonder if those that have owned the Montanas for years have had any problems with this.We now own a 5th wheel fiberglass that is 15 years old and is very difficult to clean between all the fibers.It did not have gelcoat on it. Also any advice about the 3255RL as far as towing would be helpful. Thank you and hope to be posting picture soon. Alice and Ben in Jacksonville,Fl

alicefaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Welcome Alice and Ben, can't help much, but I do not have gel coat, is seems really smooth to me on ours, they may vary. Some elect to forgo the gel coat, as it adds a few hundred pounds, I think they are pretty with it.
Hope to see you guys on the road.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Alice and Ben!

I haven't had a problem cleaning my fylon (standard fiberglass) but it does yellow after a few years outside. I wonder if your fiberglass isn't starting to break down and deteriorate a little from the sun causing it to be hard to clean.

In our search, I've found the Dealers in this area typically do not order Hi Gloss because they like to remain competitive and the Hi Gloss adds about $2,000. It is hard to find one with Hi Gloss setting on the lot with all the options you want. The Hi Gloss is pretty and I insisted on having it for our next unit so we had to order from the factory.

Happy hunting!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome ...our has the gell coat, but never had any problems.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The gel coat is the only way to fly, it's slick, easy to clean and does not yellow like the filon. I have had both and ordered the gelcoat on my montana. on the delivery lot when we picked ours up you could pick it out because of the high gloss, it looks so darned nice.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome Alice and Ben.
I do not have the GelCoat, am a firm believer in a good wax job and keeping it clean through. However in your part of the county in Florida you have that good ole sun working against you vs what I have up in Indiana.
I think a lot of it has to do how much attention is given to the exterior. But I do have to admit - that Gelcoat is pretty. Seen one up at the Factory in Goshen.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We like the gel coat...looks great and very easy to clean. Our dealer now orders almost all units with it. When we were looking for a new rig, most of the competition has the gel coat...some as standard.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have a 2000 3255RL and it tows just fine. It doesn't have gelcoat and we have no problems keeping it clean with regular cleaning and a good coat of wax. And, it is not under cover.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Same answer here as Virgil, 3255RL no gelcoat, no problems keeping clean. We are under the constant North Eash "Dark" cloud.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We have the gelcoat finish on ours. Althought it only 6 months old, it has been easy to wash and have it look really good. Would definitely get it again. Haven't waxed it yet, looks like a all day job.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Welcome Alice and Ben. I do not have gelcoat. I have an 04 Mountaineer 5vr. I live up in Mich. we pray for sun. Each spring I do a good cleaning on the outside and apply starbrite marine boat wax.I apply another coat of wax in September. I know it does not shine like a new gelcoat,but the shine looks great to me. I wound up with scratches on both sides of my 5vr from some branches that a campground forgot to trim out of a tree. I took it over to a local corvette shop ,and they rubbed the scratches out with no problem. I am wondering what the process is for gelcoat?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a personal choice. We do not have the High Gloss gel coat,It does look pretty but it is a expensive pretty. We are skeptical on the yellowing..Think it depends on the exposer it has to weather and what part of the country you live in. We personally have never seen a yellowing camper of any brand. We are with the keep it clean and have someone wax it once or twice a year group. Ours is 7 months old..looks good and cleans easy..But the High Gloss is pretty..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote