Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Walk around inspection for the win!

I recently bought a Ford F-450 and the dealer found and installed an adaptor plate for my Trailersaver BD3 fifthwheel hitch. The adaptor plate allows the hitch to work with the Ford rail-less system.

In my old truck, I installed locks on the retaining pins that held the hitch to the rails installed in the bed of the truck. When I went to the new adaptor I thought maybe I was being a little too paranoid and went with non-locking pins. The locking pins made it difficult to steal the hitch (slowed them down maybe) and kept pranksters from pulling the pins and allowing the hitch to come loose while towing.

By now you probably guessed it, during my walk around inspection before leaving the campground this morning I found one of four pins and safety clip had been removed where it held the hitch to the adaptor plate. If unnoticed I likely would have bent the hitch or lost the trailer completely on a sudden stop.

I am not sure what goes through people's minds when they do something like what I experienced. We had gone camping for the weekend to attend a cat show and sometime at the show yesterday someone must have pulled the pin. I was lucky that I always walk around and check that everything is stowed, closed, lowered, connected, and pinned.

I kept the old pins & locks and will be reinstalling them this afternoon. I guess a little paranoia is not such a bad thing.

kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Yes, I guess there are weird people living in the world today, so we must protect ourselves however we can. I use cable ties that prevent the retaining pins from being removed. I simply use the cable ties to lock the pin ends together and I cut the cable tie as short as I can. I've done this for the past 3 years and todate my retaining pins remain in place.

I'm glad you noticed the missing pins before you pulled away.

All the best.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
That really sucks. So far I haven't had that experience. I did loose a pin out of the tow bar on my Jeep with my last rig. Kinda scary when your toad tries to pass
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Kyle, your story reminds us to look "very carfully" before pulling our rigs out of any location we park. Sorry it happened, but I am not sure I would have caught it. I will now look, each and every time! Thank you. Oh, enjoy that great truck. My F450 is amazing!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Drove big rigs for 20 years. I did a walk around EVERY TIME I stopped for anything regardless of how minor the stop.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Thank you everyone, I re-installed the locking pins this afternoon and feel much better. Best wishes to everyone for a safe Christmas!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Dang.....some peoples kids....that is why I do a walk around and keep the tonneau cover locked when the 5er is parked.

Glad you saw it in time.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Better safe than sorry, and in this world, trusting the intensions of others is unfortunately not a safe thing to do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Due to topics on this forum I placed locks on the levers that hold my hitch in. The DH thought that was way overkill, but I convinced him it could happen.

So sorry to hear you had that experience. I am not sure what kind of person would get a thrill of seeing property and lives at risk, but I suppose that is the world we live in -we just don't have to like it! Can't imagine what I would do if I walked up and saw someone leaning over the side of the bed tampering with my hitch, or anything else for that matter. Such a sad indication of what this country is coming to!

I just can't say enough how much you all have taught me on this forum. I would have had many more tough lessons without all of your wisdom!

Enjoy your trip and have safe travel!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I can't believe what I just read here. The world has gone nuts. That person that pulled the pin was probably going to video it and post it on Youtube as a funny thing.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Due to topics on this forum I placed locks on the levers that hold my hitch in. The DH thought that was way overkill, but I convinced him it could happen.

So sorry to hear you had that experience. I am not sure what kind of person would get a thrill of seeing property and lives at risk, but I suppose that is the world we live in -we just don't have to like it! Can't imagine what I would do if I walked up and saw someone leaning over the side of the bed tampering with my hitch, or anything else for that matter. Such a sad indication of what this country is coming to!

I just can't say enough how much you all have taught me on this forum. I would have had many more tough lessons without all of your wisdom!

Enjoy your trip and have safe travel!
Sounds like you have a Reese hitch. I have the Signature Series and it has levers too. I never travel without locks on mine. You can also put a lock on the hitch release handle to prevent them from pulling that.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
In addition to all of the above locks, I painted the jaws in the hitch white so they are easily visible.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
All my pins have stainless cotter pins. The little villians may get them out, but they will work for their fun. I check all before moving the rig.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Can't imagine what I would do if I walked up and saw someone leaning over the side of the bed tampering with my hitch, or anything else for that matter.
If I was ever in that position, it would involve, at the very least, my foot and their crotch.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote