Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
PktChg
Established Member

M.O.C. #13889
RV bounce

What can I do to stop the "RV bounce"?? I have the rear stabilizer jacks down but we have a bit of a bounce in the floor when we walk. I was thinking of put a couple jacks for support in the center under the frame to lessen the bounce. Would this work or is there something better?

PktChg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That has been done... some stabilizer jacks in front of the front axles and some more jacks towards the rear of the rig behind the rear axle. Prior to doing this do you have a Steadyfast or JT strongarm system, that supposedly prevents much of this movement already? Even with these installed the pneumatic wheels do cause additional bounce as do the springs in the suspension and additional jacks help stop this.

There is also the best but most expensive option and that is to install a Level Up or Bigfoot hydraulic system whereby these jacks completely level and raise the rig to completely eliminate pretty much all movement since all the weight is on very sturdy hydraulics and all suspension or movement is removed as a factor.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We put JT Strong Arms on our unit and they take most of the bounce out. We are very happy with them. If you look at Items for sale Jay Bird has some for sale for a very reasonable price.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I have used the BAL X Chocks last 2 seasons. Takes a lions share of the bounce out. http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28012-X-Ch.../dp/B002XLHUQG
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There is always a little movement. X choke help , strong arms help. We found tripod worthless. Yet, even with Levelup, there is still a tiny amount.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All good replies to lessen movement. JT's work for me ... Hook stated what it boils down to at the end of the day "they all move a bit" ... after all, these are camper trailers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We use 4 additional jacks under the frame (2 per side) and I still put the tri-pod in when we are set up for long periods of time, even though I can't tell any difference using it. The movement doesn't really bother us. Compared to staying long term on our boat the Monte seems really solid to us.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we added Level-up we did have a tripod jack and felt it did some good especially since we have a washing machine in the front cap. X chocks certainly helped. We didn't do strong arms since we knew when we sold the stick house we'd add level-up. As stated previously even with level-up and our rear stabilizers down (one of the advantages of adding level-up as opposed to factory installed is that then you still have rear stabilizers) there still is a little movement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Short of putting her up on blocks you won't eliminate all the movement but as has been said the X-Chocks will eliminate most of the movement and are probably one of the cheapest. Tripods are good but are just heavy and we only set ours up if we are staying in one location for more then a week. Jacks under the frame close to the wheels will help a lot too considering that is where most of the movement comes from. Remember most of the weight is still on the wheels and there is the suspension and rubber tires that are designed to give and bounce. My wife hates the bounce but I just tell her we can go back to a tent they didn't bounce and she gives up on it lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
As others have stated, We have the SteadyFast stabilizers Installed and wouldn't be without them. We also use the X-chock's between both sets of wheels and added scissors jacks just in front of the front wheels. I did not permanently mount these scissors jacks because the galley gray line is in the way so they remain portable and do a great job. When not in use they store nicely in the front storage compartment. I feel our Monty is as stable with as little movement as can be expected. Dea is very happy with it so I can't complain a bit! You may have to 'snug up' all of your jacks after a few days as they tend to settle and get a little sloppy. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I used a set of the stabilizers in the attached link and was extremely pleased with the stability of our 2011 Montana for 2 seasons. I have since bought a 2013 with the level up system and no longer use them, actually I sold them at the fall rally in Goshen. Check out the video, they REALLY work. A tripod or king pin stabilizer is virtually useless on a Mor-Ride pin box.

http://www.rocknomore.com
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #12
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
King pin stabilizer is must for the front of the rig if used correctly. If cranked up too much, pretty much worthless. If you tighten to the sweet spot, it works incredibly well.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have the Steadyfast system and love it. http://www.steadyfast.com/ That along with X chocks gives us almost no movement. Scissor jacks in the middle would add some middle support but we don't see the need for it. We also found that if you get the rear jacks too tight you lift the trailer a little, take some weight off the springs and actually get more bounce in the middle
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I don't think that a person can eliminate all frame flex or bounce unless the Monty is off the ground and stabilizers are put at places on the frame. wheels and springs in the near center of the RV need to be secured to stop flex or bounce. I like J and C's way. it just a lot of extra work crawling under the RV and putting them on, maybe some crank down type mounted in front of the wheels and behind, the scissor type jacks. I do as best to keep the wife happy it reminds me of being on ship in the Navy so it don't bother me. good luck on the fix.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
On my old 2004 2955, I used the tripod and the BAL Wheel Chock. I found the wheel chock removed most of the bounce and the tripod second. With both used, they seemed to remove about 85% of the bounce.

Now, since I now have a new 3402 with a 12" I-beam frame I can try and bounce up and down on the kitchen floor and it really is solid. When I did that on my old unit, the floor would flex a lot. (frame flexing?) Like a wood deck that didn't have the right supports, a 2x8 beam vs 2x10 wood beams under the deck.

I think depending on your floor plan and configuration, some units might be stiffer built. JMO from the newbie.

Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
38' long even with 3 axle, we had unwanted movement. Bi Pod and extra jacks at rear even added big foot leveling system all helped a bit. It wasn't until we added permanently installed stabilizers 8 years ago that "Mama was happy" and you know what happens when Mamma is happy---all is good with the world. Hugs, Di
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote