Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
BATTERY DISCONNECT

We have a 2013 3900FB. Does the battery disconnect switch disconnect the entire coach from the batteries. Is there anything that stays on with the switch in the off position. I have not tried it myself yet.
But I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any draw from the batteries with the switch off.

johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
For sure your remote receiver module is powered up when the disconnect is off, this allows the landing gear and so on to be operational. On my 2012 3402RL that is the only thing that draws current when that switch is off. Power to the hydraulic pump is supplied prior to the disconnect but no draw unless being operated, as well power goes to the emergency breakaway switch but again no power loss unless it is activated.

My smoke alarms are operated on their own 9V batteries and the propane detector although it does use 12V is turned off with the switch as is the TV booster.

This may vary from model to model and what worker wired the unit but this is what I have confirmed on mine. If you want to completely isolate the batteries then you should add a disconnect at one or both of the battery terminals as some have done.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
My 2013 coach does not have a remote for anything. So does that mean that nothing will use power to drain the battery down if the disconnect is turned off??
johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johncamtravel

My 2013 coach does not have a remote for anything. So does that mean that nothing will use power to drain the battery down if the disconnect is turned off??
John first a couple of questions: 1) Do you have hydraulic landing gear and level up system?
2) Can you operate your slides and landing gear with the battery disconnect turned off?

To check items that might draw current in the RV, first either disconnect from shore power or turn off the power to the converter.
Second turn off the battery isolator switch.

The propane detector has a green light on it when powered up, if that light is not lit, then it is not on = no power draw.

To check the smoke detectors open them up and check to see if they have their own 9V battery, if they do, then they are not powered by the RV batteries and there will be no current draw.

To check the TV booster and 12V cigarette plugs, the 12V TV should have no power and the booster light should be off.

The fridge and furnace use 12V but neither of them should operate with the disconnect off.

I can think of nothing else in the RV that would draw any current. However if you can operate your landing gear and slides when the battery disconnect is off then you may have some kind of module to operate them and it may draw some current.

Not being familiar with your model makes it somewhat difficult to know what is powered before the disconnect. I also do not know if not having a remote means you do not have some kind of module on the generator compartment wall that is powered all the time.
With the disconnect off and if you remove a battery terminal and lightly touch it against the post, and there is any hint of a spark then there is something drawing current all the time.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Disconnect switches typically disconnect all interior electronics from power. The only thing that should still have power is the landing gear, slideouts, trailer braking system and possibly the level up. The disconnect is supposed to stop trickle drain from the interior devices and alarms to preserve the battery longer. Sometimes the smoke alarms are hard-wired and might still have a battery as a backup.

When I towed new trailers to their dealer destinations and they had a disconnect switch, this is how they worked. However, they can be wired in other ways to disable or leave enabled different things, but this was how the trailers I towed operated. IRLP brings up a good point that your model may vary and the one way to check that is to use the disconnect, then test every circuit, appliance or alarm to see what is on or off.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote