Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Fulltiming warranty work

We will be full time so getting warranty work is an issue I am interested in. Some dealers won't do any work on an RV that they didn't sell and some mfg. don't allow warranty work to be done by a non mfg. dealer. SOB mfg. allow you to take your trailer to anyone for warranty work with prior approval. What is Montana's policy?

kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
The issue is confusing to me. It does need to be a Keystone Montana Authorized Dealer. You can locate these on the Keystone Website.
The it seems these dealers tell you they have agreements with Keystone to only warranty what they sell. However I found that is not true but when Keystone calls that dealer to get you an appointment you might be 4 months older before you get it into the shop. If it were Me, I would call Keystone Customer Service and have them identify a warranty dealer in your geographic area and possibly have them set up an appointment.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is what has worked for us and although we are not full timers we are long timers and on the road a lot.We contact Keystone Customer service and have them find us a dealer and also contact that dealer to approve the repairs.That has worked for us both in and out of Warranty over the years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
What if you can't get to the dealer because of an issue that does not allow you to move? Will they approve mobile repair?
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never needed that so do not know Call and ask.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Two repairs we needed under warranty were authorized by Keystone to be done by someone else. A gas issue we had in Deming, NM was authorized to be done by a local mobile home dealer. I paid and Keystone reimbursed. A slide issue was authorized to be done by Camping world in Albuquerque (Camping world is a Keystone dealer, but not in ABQ). The local dealer was not responsive to us. The trick for us has been to always call Keystone first.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We have had mobile RV service and only had to pay the service call. Keystone covered the rest. They were a dealer authorized by Keystone. On the other hand, we have never had problems getting warranty service.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Most full timers have learned to do many repairs on their own.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Amen.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

If they have healthy bodies.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Yes if I was a fulltimer I would have been in a hotel for 5 out of the last 10 weeks. I see why you repair them yourselves.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We Full time all year and we have an rv repair tech that services our unit, he is riva approved and any warranty service is covered by him. sometimes i might have to get reimbursed.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
Harshy1010

M.O.C. #17936
As a full timer in a 2015 3721RL with lots of warranty issues, Montana will give you a choice of three dealers sometimes not really close. They will not choose for you, and they will not make an appointment for you. They will pre-approve warranty work at one of these dealers, but no others. If you have the hydraulic control panel fail at a campground with the slide partially out, meh tough luck. They will not do anything except tell you you have to get the unit to an authorized dealer ( with the slide sticking out going down the Interstate).
Most of the authorized dealers don't care about you unless you bought it there. My experience has been that it can be up to three weeks to get our unit in to an authorized dealership, then a couple of days to diagnose and get Keystones approval to do the work, a couple of days to order parts, one to two weeks waiting on parts ( unless you pay the dealer to air freight, then another week to do the work. After all this, our rate of correct repair on the first try is less than 50%, requiring a return visit. Repeat process above.
Our Montana was in a dealership or disabled at a campground waiting on a dealership for a little over three of the first 12 months we owned it. The kitchen slide has never been made to work right from day one. I think the reason that you see good reviews and bad reviews is the way the units are used. If you just take it on vacation once a year and do occasional week ends problems don't arise until the unit is off warranty. If something goes wrong in the first year in this circumstance, then the selling dealer does the work. The other side is when you are full timing and traveling, Keystone is just not equipped mentally or physically to help you out much.
For example, when our kitchen slide failed for the fourth or fifth time, it was finally beyond the warranty period. Keystone was happy to point that out. I did get a "Team Lead" or manager of some sort to call me about the issue. The upshot was that I had to take it to an authorized dealer or ideally to the dealer purchased from (1200 miles one way) for an evaluation so that Keystone could make a one off decision on authorizing the repair. Keystone had no concept of the position they put me in as a full timer on the road. So we are dealing with it for the summer and will search out a well recommended Lippert knowledgable repair facility or mobile repairman to have the work done.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
My last two rigs a Mountaineer and now a Montana have been pritty much trouble free. Both bought 2000 miles from home AZ to MI. I am not full time but I am in it about 7 months a year and can relate to the problem of full timing like no place to live when in for repairs.

I don't know if this solves the problem but it works for me. I have an extended service agreement on the Montana so that I can get a mobile tech to come and fix any problem. I also put $$$$ every year in a saving account to cover my part of the service.

However that being said I am still working (own a business) so that makes it easer for me to afford the above.

I guess I have been lucky with no major problems in the warranty period plus having a great service dealer in my home city.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Six years of full timing never spent a night in a motel because of rv trouble. Yes 90 percent of the time I fixed myself. Mobile rev techs also used. Few times I had to go to a dealer, they had electric hookups, we stayed at their facility. Non warranty, they could get necessary parts in one or two days. You are right however, nothing easy when it comes to warranty work. Best approach for us, go to a dealer, do the inspection, take our rig down the road, and then come back when the parts come in.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kiltedpig

We will be full time so getting warranty work is an issue I am interested in. Some dealers won't do any work on an RV that they didn't sell and some mfg. don't allow warranty work to be done by a non mfg. dealer. SOB mfg. allow you to take your trailer to anyone for warranty work with prior approval. What is Montana's policy?
We only owned one new Montana, the other was used, so I can only speak of our experience with the single new model. The large dealer we purchased from attempted a couple warranty repairs and even a recall. Even with a several month advance appointment they did not have parts for one of the warranty repairs nor the recall (steps). We tried twice to get it in to another Montana dealer in another state and when they finally gave us an appointment they were unable to fix three small issues.

My heartburn wasn't necessarily with the actual factory warranty, it was with the lack of support from the network of Montana dealers. The only time most of them are good about fixing anything is just before you write the check to purchase the new unit from them.

We had a Cornerstone extended warranty in place which gave me piece of mind knowing I could use mobile techs and a lot of others. Even though we never had to use it I was not sorry we purchased it. Now we are getting ready to file for a 50% refund of the Cornerstone upon trading the Montana. To us, as full timers traveling at the time, it took the worry out of depending on a useless 1 year factory warranty.