Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Air Mattress Replacement

Our handicapped (Downs Syndrome) son lives and travels with us. While camping, we un-bag and inflate the bed at night and deflate and bag the bed in the a.m. Really getting old. Has anyone replaced their air mattress with a 4.5" Memory Foam mattress like this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-Sle...roduct+Reviews

If so, does it fold up inside the 2013 model sofa (pull the top of the sofa forward, open the legs, and pull forward)?

Problems? Is it comfortable?

Thanks in advance.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe-- I don't think the memory foam mattresses will fold up into the sofa like you want. We put one on our regular bed and it came in a nice sized box and bagged up. When we opened the box and took the plastic off it expanded to a regular queensize bed and I know there is no way to get it back into the box it came it. I don't have an answer for you because if you don't want to deflate a mattress daily. Hopefully, someone will come along with an answer for you.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm with Rondo on this. However, you could 'store' it on your regular bed during the daytime and put it in place at night. My concern is how well it would work in the hide-a-bed frame, unless you thinking of using it on the floor.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We also have a handicapped aduld child that lives with us and travels also. We just inflate and deflate every day. Deflated, we fold it four times and then in half and store it in the drawer under the sofa. We bought a queen bottom sheet and leave it on when we fold. Sharon bought a full top sheet and sewed a pocket on the bottom so it fits over the bottom of the mattress. We leave that on when we fold also. So bedtime we put the mattress on the bed and inflate and it's ready. We heard if you leave the mattress on the bed it will get pinched and leak. We already had our mattress replaced because it delaminated, got a big hump in it. We looked at Lazy Boy's hide-a-bed with an inflatable mattress built in the inner spring mattress but it will protrude out too far in the living room
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Here is part of the product description. Interesting!

The Modern Sleep Sofa Bed Mattress is a compact memory foam mattress that fits perfectly into your sofa and then returns back to its original shape.

But, mattresses on a regular residential sofa bed are fairly thick, and fold up inside the works. I don't think that the Keystone RV sofa bed frame is designed the same way as residential ones. Not enough clearance for the foam mattress to compress as the frame folds up.

So, I don't see how it would be able to be folded up in the frame of the RV sofa as the description above states.

You could possibly replace the sofa with a residential one to accomplish your objective.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe, you may have a little room behind the sofa where it may be able to fold and fit. On our sofa where the back folds down, there is space behind the fold down part and the wall, and the space grows when you leave the air bed out of the pocket on the back. Might be worth evaluating. Let me know what you think, we may consider it in the future as well if it is doable.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
This idea probably won't help since you have a new model. We tossed out our hide-a-bed and replaced it with a futon that folds out very easily to a queen size bed. It converts in seconds and is very comfortable to sleep on.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Well, we decided to purchase the mattress that is featured in my original post. We could not store it behind the bed or fold it up inside the sofa, but we are going to follow Tom's recommendation and just lay it on our bed during the day. For bedroom TV lovers, they can use the mattress the prop up their head or feet, or both. Serves a dual purpose. Our son laid on it and gave us the "thumbs up." Here are some photos on the sofa bed. Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Glad you got it worked out!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote