Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Lippert, Mor-Ryde and Bud's Body Shop

My wife and I spent last Sunday through Wednesday in the Elkhart & Goshen area. We took our 5th wheel up and had some upgrades installed which will make our traveling much safer and camping experiences a lot more enjoyable!

Gary Wheeler of Mor-Ryde suggested that we stay at the Elkhart Campground for 3 nights (although we could have stayed at the Mor-Ryde factory lot (w/electric) across the street on Tuedsay night). The Elkhart campground appears to have been a KOA at one point based on the architecture of the building. The campground layout was very good and easy to navigate our Montana (3665) around their facility. Water pressure was very good although the water did seem to have a strong iron content. We had no issues with the campground at all, very nice people run it and were very accommodating to our request for a quiet workspace with electric so I could work from the road since we didn’t have access to our trailer while it was “in the shop”. The campground Wifi coverage was excellent with an 802.11n connection speed. We certainly would stay at Elkhart Campground again without hesitation.

On Monday morning 7am we arrived at the Lippert factory for a 6 point auto-leveling system installation. Since they made the frame, it seemed like a good idea to have them install their Level-Up system. We picked up the trailer at 4pm and went back to the campground. We would suggest driving the route before though. Our Garmin gave us less than great directions, Google maps did a better job of getting us from the campground to the factory and back.

On Tuesday afternoon we were at Bud’s Body shop for an alignment and what they refer as an axle re-arcing. Bottom line, the tires are now tracking properly. They pointed out the cracking in the suspension block pieces to us. They were great to work with and did a very good job for us. Again, Bud’s Body Shop is a recommended shop to do business with if you are up in Elkhart. (Of course, with perfect clarity 20/20 hind sight, yes we could have had the alignment done at the Lippert plant, I just didn’t think of it at the time I was planning this out).

On Wednesday morning 7am we arrived at the Mor-Ryde factory for X-Factor and wet-bolt installation. Initially, I had spec’d for 2 braces but since I was there, I changed my mind and added the 3rd one. The Mor-Ryde facility is top-notch! Their customer waiting are is simply stated “the best”! They made sure I had a good work area, Wifi access, free drinks and snacks and even provided lunch for Penny and I. During the parts inspection of the rubberized suspension block pieces the technician noticed some significant cracking that probably should not have occurred since the unit is a 201 and stated they would have probably failed in less than 2 years; so in a sense we were in-trouble and just didn’t know it yet. The Mor-Ryde Service Manager immediately said that they would provide new replacements at no charge, but I was thinking longer term and asked about the next level upgrade. For $128 (parts cost each side) they installed a much denser suspension block that will last longer than the stock version of what the factory installed. Then the technician showed me the old shackles that came off the trailer. With the suspension block cracking the way it was, the shackles were taking a lot more hammering which caused the normally round bolt holes to become oblong shaped. Bad juju! The new suspension blocks, new shackles and X-factor braces that were installed are certainly a significant upgrade in strength and we know that the trailer is in much better shape for the longer haul.

So with the frame & suspension fixed and a really nice Auto leveling system, our C.O.W. (Condo-On-Wheels) is now set for many more years of camping pleasure. Granted these were major expenses, but we feel overall, well worth it! We were happy with all of the suppliers!

Safe Travels to all,

Joe& Pen

jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you had a good experience. You'll like the upgrades. You did the right thing by not staying at Mor/ryde overnight. We did the same thing you did with the level-up and then Mor/Ryde except we went for the independent suspension and disk brakes which meant we were in the shop overnight. Those people start work in the fabrication part of the plant at 5am. Luckily we went to bed early the night before.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You won't find a better company to do business with than Morryde, they are the best. Hopefull Buds did you a good job. Myself and several other members wouldn't go there if we were paid to as we left Buds worse off than when we were originally. My alignment was so bad I could see tire wear after 60 miles.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sounds like you had a good experience, we too would not trust Buds with our unit ever again. Unless they have had a 180 in their business practices?? Nope, nix to Buds. Do not trust them as far as we can throw our Tana. Yep, that far.

Have stayed at the Elkhart campground many times. Always been treated nicely, fairly with great hosts there!

Lippert we have had great experiences with. The story may be here buried in the Archives somewhere. But, we were happy and still are with our dual motors on the landing legs set up they set us up with.

We have no MorRyde experience.

Happy trails.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am glad to hear someone say they were treated fair and had a good experience. Seems all we hear on here are complaints
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I have dealt with Gary Wheeler @ Mor/Ryde. A excellent experience.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have had excellent work and service from both Mor Ryde and Lippert. We have no experience with bud's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You mean you missed the trains going by every few minutes at the Mor/ryde lot!! We were there in May for the IS install and they were just getting the new lot going, so they didn't have power yet. But those trains, worse than those at the Fairgrounds.