Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
New one even for Missions

This past May on our way home from Florida we stopped in Charlotte, NC to see grand kids (and the kids too - I guess). when pulling into our campsite at Camp Wilderness we ran over a piece of metal and punctured the right rear tire on the Monty. AAA was called and they fixed the flat with a plug. We have driven a little over a thousand miles since then and yesterday on our way back to Florida while driving through West Virginia the plug was "spit" out. I have never seen a plug just expelled from a tire like that! The tire started going down but luckily we are taking a car down with us this winter and Julie was following me and saw it right away. We pulled into the next parking lot big enough and luckily no damage was done at all. I took the spare down while we were waiting for AAA and was quite surprised at the amount of wear the tires on the trailer are showing. I would say half or more of the tread is gone. Never saw trailer tires wear this fast. It has only been two and a half years of wear - WOW

JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I read at a tire shop some time back a letter recommending/stating that using a plug on tires for patches was the wrong way to patch a tire. The tire should be removed from the rim and patched from the inside. This came from a tire manufacture I believe. I’m not sure whether it’s illegal to patch it that way or not; it has been some time since I’ve seen this. At any rate I’ve always tried to watch and not allow patches to be done that way even though some tire shops may still do it that way. Next time you’re in a store that sells name brand tires ask them about it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Those plugs that are installed from the outside of the tire are not a permanent type repair. The only thing they are intended for, is to get you to a tire repair center where a permanent repair can be made.

I don't know if they are illeagle or not, but if I ever saw, or heard of, one of my service techs using a plug of that type, they would be looking to another tire store for employment.

Glad you guys caught it before any damage was done. As far as the rapid wear goes, you may have axle or alignment problems causing it. You may want to have it checked.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
My wife picked up a nail a few months back while on the road to Salina. AAA dispatched a person who did the same thing -- put a plug in it. Well, I took it to the local Goodyear dealer and they said that the tire (hole) was now non-repairable because the patch made the hole so much larger. Wouldn't replace it under road hazard because AAA had plugged it. I ended up putting a claim into AAA and after a long, actually several long, phone calls, they paid half the cost of the replacement tire. I even see plug kits sold in local auto supply houses; as Lonnie said -- a temporary repair if you are out in the boonies but not the way for a long term repair.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We recently picked up a nail in one of our tires and while my wife was responsible for getting the tire on and off the rig, the tire guy did it right - he patched it from the inside.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Micheal, your wife must really love you .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Can you teach me to have my DW do the tire change thing?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hate to say this guys but my DW can not torque the lug nuts to 120#, much less know what the torque wrench is.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Are the missions radial tires? I think they are. You do not patch tires that are punctured in the side wall. Then also think of the flex when turning and no wonder the plug came out. I would say that the clown ruined your tire.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
So Michael,

Is that tire with the yellow wheel your spare?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I wouldnt let my DW have access to something that long or heavy...torquing wheel Nuts would be the last thing she would want to do with it......
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Michael, that is quite a woman you have there!

Good for you Kathy!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Regarding your excessive tire wear. We have about 8000 miles on our late 2006 3400RL. Just discovered significant wear on one of the Mission tires on the outside edge. The other three show no real wear. Took the wheel to three different local tire shops. All gave a better than 80% assessment that the tread/plys were separating on the Mission tire. Their opinion was that there was a small possibility that the axle was out of alignment. I checked the alignment vertically and it appeared to be ok. Tireco is going to send us 5 new replacement tires for the Mission tires as soon as we get to AZ. Have a 1600 mile trip facing us with tires I no longer trust. I will watch them like a hawk. If you have Mission tires you might want to contact TireCo and have them send you replacement tires. Tread/ply separation and cracks seem to be operative words to get the free replacement tires. Good luck!
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Had exactly the same problem with our Missions. They wore screwy until steel belts were showing through the tread. It was far worse than I've ever seen from a bent axle. Tireco also replaced all five of our tires, 2 at one time and 3 at a later date. I should have asked for all five to be replaced the first time. I just told them they had steel showing through the tread. No questions. On the two that were not (yet) gone bad, I told them I don't want different brand tires on the same axle so that means they needed to also replace tire 4 and the spare for the same reason. No arguments at all.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote