Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Jeff Upchurch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20631
Not so pleased 2018 3720 RL

We ordered in November a Montana 3720 RL. And took deliver in Feb 2018. Just as soon as it was ready and at the dealer just north of the plant . A legacy package. Full body paint gen and all accessories. The dealer did nothing at all to impress us. Truthfully we we're disappointed . Their efforts to have it clean and ready were fair to poor at best .
Since we left the dealer not one time have they contacted us. Lakeshore RV. .
We are still waiting on dresser draws as what was shipped didnt fit . The frig residential style electric and gas would not stay cold and we found that it was all in door adjustments it was not sealing. And if you like ice cream forget it the freezer can not get cold enough to keep ice cream cold to firm or solid . Norco emailed me that these units simply do not get that cold regradless .
We have bedroom closet door issues were the upper track is not supported on the off door side and the screws pull out which are a poor attempt to hold it up .
We have lots of trim coming lose and am constantly working on trim problems .
We had the rear window separated from it's frame work and was literally falling out and when we called local Keystone dealers we were near as Keystone advised us we were told since we did not purchase from them they would not help us . After many calls and emails back and forth with Keystone we had to pay for the repair $1600.00 and then after we sent Keystone the bill they reimbursed us back . This is all on our first trip out . The window simply separated from the frame work and we had to try to tape it into place . .
The best thing of the build to order deal so far has been the extra 10 k we paid for full body paint. It seems to be worth it .
We are extremely dissapointed in the selling dealer .
We are not at all happy with the trim work within the coach .
We have had three units. Two bumper tow units and one with wheel prior to this one and we have never had issues like this .
We took factory tours before we made this last decision and we are convinced they can all have some issues. But it should would be nice if they would at least try to help us make lemonade when the 🍋 show up .
To us they have one thing to accomplish make the sales number and get you gone .
We only wish someone would seem to care

Jeff Upchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Some units come off the line in better shape than others. Some dealers care about those of us that put food on their tables, some don't. Most trailers are like buying a fixer upper house. It isn't fair but that is the reality of RVing today. I learned nobody cares for my trailer more than I do. I do my own work and fixed the bugs that I feel Keystone owes me for. As such, I won't be upgrading as often as I might otherwise.

This forum is a wealth of information comprised of folks that do care. Look at how many threads are started in each category. Maintenance and repair related forums make up a large percentage of overall comments made.

Hang in there, get 'er broke in then wear it out as I say. And give Keystone hell whenever you can.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Upchurch View Post
We ordered in November a Montana 3720 RL. And took deliver in Feb 2018. Just as soon as it was ready and at the dealer just north of the plant . A legacy package. Full body paint gen and all accessories. The dealer did nothing at all to impress us. Truthfully we we're disappointed . Their efforts to have it clean and ready were fair to poor at best .
Since we left the dealer not one time have they contacted us. Lakeshore RV. .
We are still waiting on dresser draws as what was shipped didnt fit . The frig residential style electric and gas would not stay cold and we found that it was all in door adjustments it was not sealing. And if you like ice cream forget it the freezer can not get cold enough to keep ice cream cold to firm or solid . Norco emailed me that these units simply do not get that cold regradless .
We have bedroom closet door issues were the upper track is not supported on the off door side and the screws pull out which are a poor attempt to hold it up .
We have lots of trim coming lose and am constantly working on trim problems .
We had the rear window separated from it's frame work and was literally falling out and when we called local Keystone dealers we were near as Keystone advised us we were told since we did not purchase from them they would not help us . After many calls and emails back and forth with Keystone we had to pay for the repair $1600.00 and then after we sent Keystone the bill they reimbursed us back . This is all on our first trip out . The window simply separated from the frame work and we had to try to tape it into place . .
The best thing of the build to order deal so far has been the extra 10 k we paid for full body paint. It seems to be worth it .
We are extremely dissapointed in the selling dealer .
We are not at all happy with the trim work within the coach .
We have had three units. Two bumper tow units and one with wheel prior to this one and we have never had issues like this .
We took factory tours before we made this last decision and we are convinced they can all have some issues. But it should would be nice if they would at least try to help us make lemonade when the 🍋 show up .
To us they have one thing to accomplish make the sales number and get you gone .
We only wish someone would seem to care
Lakeshore sells quite a few units but has a terrible reputation for their service. I made the Lakeshore mistake in 2000, never again.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Jeff I hate to use the PDI question, but did you do one? we go through the unit marking and documenting everything that needs to be done. then when we come to pick it up we verify it has all been done. hold your money over the dealer's head to get it done. I open and tug on every drawer and cabinet to check. I have learned to tug on trim to make sure it is not loose. same with all latches. they have to plug it in and run AC and furnace.

Check out levelers. all before they get my money.

Never ever rush into a deal.

That said I still ended up with a unit that Auto-level does not work in the real world, Furnace died in the middle of a trip, AC is not up to snuff, power cord end separated from outer sheath and door was not hung properly.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As a lowlife dealer I would do no PDI at delivery. Why do that and resultant fixes on my dollar clock when I can wait for a customer complaint and at least bill fixes under warranty. Based on my PDIs and what I have found re rig defects, dealers ain’t looking at their product. They park them and hope buyers get them off the lot.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
We bought a 2017 3720, and love it. We too have had trim issues, but put it down to the dry air in Arizona and Mexico. All major items have been flawless so far after 2 yes and 20000 miles. The one issue we have had is the loss(3 separate times) of a spring hanger bolt and correct track yellow plates, all of which were replaced by Lippert gratis. I did the replacing. I had a leaky rt side cargo door which I think got the hinges sprung(bent) when I was going to put it down and it slipped out of my hand and slammed down hard. It has no pistons to slow it down. Montana replaced the whole door and frame onsight at the national rally last year. Our refer just keeps ice cream solid on the bottom ,left of the freezer. The truth, as I see it, is that RV's are all as work in progress and you need to be able and ready to do a lot of the fixes yourself or else you will be confronting slow or uncooperative dealers constantly. This is true, regardless of brand or price category one buys.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #7
D Baraw

M.O.C. #22117
We got a 2018 3720 this year and luckly have not had all those problems yet. I'll be inspecting all those spots as possible weak points though. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong with your rig.
D Baraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #8
KemoLondon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21413
We've had our 3720 for a year now and knock on wood no issues. We did a PDI and everything was checked. Had the lower trim along the hall slide out pop loose after a couple of trips but a quick nail gun action fixed that. But I hate to see stories of poor workmanship and product support.
KemoLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
first off, you can't beat the price from lakeshore rv. sorry, but when the difference is $10K+ go with lakeshore.
but, you have a couple of options since you are the GR area. get down division and get into one of the keystone dealers. secondly, come to the fall goshen rally and talk to a tech about some of your issues.

i'm from GR, contact me via message if you want to talk.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Jeff Upchurch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20631
When is the fall Goshen Rally. We may just come
Jeff Upchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Upchurch View Post
When is the fall Goshen Rally. We may just come
September 19th through the 26th. Here is a link to the announcement http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ment.php?f=350

Everything related to the rally (how to register, activities, etc.) are located in the Rally category located here http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...play.php?f=350

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote