Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I'm with Lynwood on this one in 40+ years of camping we have never had any thing stolen and my truck is the last thing I would weary about aspshely with today's key fobs
my new Dodge unless the key fob in the truck you cant even start it.
Same here for about the same amount of time.We have never had anything taken while camping or have personally known of anyone who has.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #22
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
insurance is what works best.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #23
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
Interesting to read the thread. My walk away points from this are;
- have good insurance
- use common sense to deter
- enjoy life, worry about items that have a higher likelihood of impacting us.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBW Ventures View Post
Interesting to read the thread. My walk away points from this are;
- have good insurance
- use common sense to deter
- enjoy life, worry about items that have a higher likelihood of impacting us.

Cheers
Beer do not forget the beer
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #25
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Perry, great way of looking at it, have to agree.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Less than a minute.
Explain please...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
if you must.
think layers.
blue led in dash.
club on steering wheel,
club on brake pedal,
hidden ing power switch,
hidden fuel pump eletrical supply cut off( truck starts but dies a 1/4 mile away)
two rotts sleeping in the cab.
rim clamp.
but the pros just use a tow truck. wench it on and gone.

best to have qualty insurance. with a qualty company. yes costs.
but in my 58 years i have only know one person who had a car, truck, motorcycle taken.
most "car" theaves are a crime of convenience.

Those are some good ideas. I did the fuel pump fuse. The first time I was shocked that it started and continued to run nearly one minute. I'm still looking for better fuses to pull. Maybe a relay. The Rim clamp sounds the best tow deterrent. Anything that slows a thief down will usually dissuade them from making your truck the target.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
Hoopty
Established Member

M.O.C. #19075
I have a 2015 F350 and use an anti theft device from a company called Revelco. It requires a pin type device that you plug in to be able to start the engine. It is wired directly into the wiring harness on the engine side of the firewall (the connection from the plug to the firewall is covered in a metal sheath). They claim to have never had a vehicle stolen in the time the company has been around.

(Remembering to plug it in was a pain at first. I bought one of those retractable key holders at Home Depot. Now I just leave it attached to my keys and stretch the retractable cord with the plug part over to wear it plugs in.

It wasn’t cheap, but it gave me piece of mind... Revelco.com
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #29
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopty View Post
I have a 2015 F350 and use an anti theft device from a company called Revelco. It requires a pin type device that you plug in to be able to start the engine. It is wired directly into the wiring harness on the engine side of the firewall (the connection from the plug to the firewall is covered in a metal sheath). They claim to have never had a vehicle stolen in the time the company has been around.

(Remembering to plug it in was a pain at first. I bought one of those retractable key holders at Home Depot. Now I just leave it attached to my keys and stretch the retractable cord with the plug part over to wear it plugs in.

It wasn’t cheap, but it gave me piece of mind... Revelco.com
We had a Revelco for our '87 Ford E250 van. It was, like you said a 16 more pin disk that plugged in under the dash. The only issue I ever had was my plastic key ring broke off. It had a common size diameter so I made a ring out of brass plumbing tubing to fix it. http://www.ravelco.com/product.html
Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #30
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Install a secondary ignition switch hidden somewhere under the dash, primary ignition to include hot wiring would not work until the secondary switch was activated. Cheap protection.
A mechanic friend of mine installed a "kill switch" in a hidden location in our F350. It's not going anywhere on it's own power when that is engaged.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #31
Forsch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20034
LoJack

I have LoJack installed on all of my vehicles. I included the early warning feature. During my time working in Law Enforcement for 26 years, I have been involved with the recovery of more stolen vehicles than I can count. The bad thing is it doesn’t work until your vehicle is stolen. With “early warning” you will receive an email, text, and phone call letting you know the vehicle has been moved. That lets you alert the police while the vehicle is still very close to your location. Once activated the vehicle is pretty easy to find.

Hope this helps.
Forsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
328RLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #21344
My truck was stolen, had a Ravelco installed, several attempts since but nothing more than a ignition lock replaced. I live in NM and not many places are safe for my truck. I try to park in well lit places if out at night and still they break in.

Truck was stolen two years ago on a Monday evening (8-9pm) just before dark.

I have never had an issue at an RV park but many times while out vacationing the truck was broken into. I had a club and brake pedal lock. Walmarts, grocery, restaurant, etc.

I often wondered how I'd get my RV home if the truck was stolen while I was out of town. I now used the club, brake lock and Ravelco. My truck cannot be replaced for what the insurance.

Careful driving through Albuquerque! have and stay safe.

http://www.koat.com/article/abq-has-...n-u-s/22135418
Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #33
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I also have the Revelco installed and I also installed 2 Quik-latch lockable hood pins. I bought my 2012 dually new. I take care of it and it still looks brand new. Over the years have made several mods and after market add-ons. My insurance won't even come close to allowing me to replace my dually as it sits today.
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #34
328RLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #21344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
I also have the Revelco installed and I also installed 2 Quik-latch lockable hood pins. I bought my 2012 dually new. I take care of it and it still looks brand new. Over the years have made several mods and after market add-ons. My insurance won't even come close to allowing me to replace my dually as it sits today.
Yeah, when my truck was stolen insurance (we were talking before it finally was recovered) and what they would have paid was as less than 75% of what replacement cost would have been (not including mods) and that was after I found comparable trucks, initial offer was less than 60%.

Although mods were covered through renters insurance.

Been thinking of doing the locking pins on mine, how are they?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #35
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I like them they are good. They stop someone from being able to open your door and pop your hood. The only thing is that when I bring it to the dealer or shop I unlock them and make sure show the tech that will work on it how to open the hood. Because if you don't tell them about them and show them, they could damage (bend) the hood if they start yanking on it to try to open it.
The hardest part for me was getting the courage to drill two 2 1/4" holes in the hood of my new truck. I measure and checked 20 times before I drilled.
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #36
TRPTDON

M.O.C. #21762
Anti- theft device

I’ve used Ravelco it’s a plug that you have to use or the vehicle won’t start. Very effective! I’ve never heard of it ever been defeated. Check it out on the internet. Kind of expensive ((about $500) but worth it I think.
TRPTDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #37
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328RLS View Post
My truck was stolen, had a Ravelco installed, several attempts since but nothing more than a ignition lock replaced. I live in NM and not many places are safe for my truck. I try to park in well lit places if out at night and still they break in.

Truck was stolen two years ago on a Monday evening (8-9pm) just before dark.

I have never had an issue at an RV park but many times while out vacationing the truck was broken into. I had a club and brake pedal lock. Walmarts, grocery, restaurant, etc.

I often wondered how I'd get my RV home if the truck was stolen while I was out of town. I now used the club, brake lock and Ravelco. My truck cannot be replaced for what the insurance.

Careful driving through Albuquerque! have and stay safe.

http://www.koat.com/article/abq-has-...n-u-s/22135418
We had a blow out & had to spend the night in Albuquerque last year, was warned do not stay at walmart, felt like an episode of cops. That was the first time we ever felt unsafe while rving, glad to see this thread as we tend to be more off guard while camping. We learned the hard way in Quebec, had our truck stolen while unhitched. Luckily it was recovered the same day & they caught the guy, needed new ignition switch. unfortunately you can never let your guard down, always be prepared. I try to always park nose in & cut the wheels & park in tight areas, we had friends get their truck & four place snowmobile trailer stolen by tow truck while they were checking in.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We again have been very fortunate over 25 years of Rv'ing 4 trucks, 6 Rv's countless Campgrounds and many, many miles. Never had a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #39
Cami/Dean

M.O.C. #22013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I have seen so many articles about how they can read your key Fob or just tow your truck away while you are sleeping, so my question to all of you, is I am not afraid of someone stealing my truck, and getting my insurance to replace it, but man that would absolutely ruin a good RV trip if you are half way across the country! How would you get to your next spots etc. ? So do any of you have simple full proof ways of keeping your truck united with your RV? I suppose backing up against your RV is one way to deter midnight towing, but how about things like the "CLUB" etc.? I just don't want to deal with something like this on my next trip which will be about 7,500 miles staying at 27 different RV parks!
If you back into your fifth wheel it should deter anyone from trying to take it in the middle of the night. Your back wheels are locked when it is in park.
Cami/Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #40
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
If the criminal just goes for the quick and easy the club is a good thing.
I prevented mine twice from being stolen while living in Canada. I have a hidden switch that deactivates the circuit that allows you to put it into gear when you step on the brake pedal. So here is what happens on my truck F250 King Ranch V10...
Criminal sticks screwdriver into door lock to break the door lock, it won’t work because guts have been removed from drivers door. I use the remote or passengers door.
But let’s say he brakes window and gets in.
Then he brakes the ignition switch and starts engine, next he steps on brake pedal and the horn honks and it will not go in gear. He repeats process, horn honks and it won’t go in gear so he runs away and I have a broken window and ingnition switch. But still have my old pickup.
DW says if you let him steal it you would get a new truck, maybe I’m not so smart after all.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote