Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Robbery Update

Just thought I would update everyone. A heinous criminal is in custody. 15 years old, he lived next to the campground and had priors for auto theft. The break came after he robbed his mom - who previously wouldn't let the police even talk to her son. Once she called the cops, she let them search the house and they found a few of my items, including my fly fishing vest and my fishing license from a few years ago in Yellowstone - hard to argue with where he got that. He has implicated another kid, whose father (a former police officer) won't let the police talk to his son either. So, it looks like I can go after the Mom and the kid for restitution. We'll see how it works out.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, it's good to see something is happening about the robbery. Here's hoping you get the Colt back also!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I'm hoping to add a little "legal" pressure to the parents to help nudge junior to come clean.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
There is no excuse for stealing. The criminal should be prosecuted to the max extent of the law. It just might be the turning point of his life and prevent many years in prison. They do need to get the weapon back, a criminal has no business to have a weapon. And for the father who want let the police talk to him, well he is a sorry father figure and I'm glad he isn't in law inforcement, I bet he has locked up other people's kids. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I think some serious legal smack down is called for. ask for the max on the first little troll and file suit against the family for restitution. Make them as miserable as their kid made you and then some. Maybe then they can convince the other "dad" do come forward... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
That is my hope. The hard part is trying to figure out what is missing. We kept running across items weeks afterward. There is a spot in the trailer I think something is missing from, but can't figure it out. I went back and looked at photos, but that didn't help.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Good Luck!! Have you had those times where you don't think things in your life can get worse and it does.... A month ago we found out someone had stole the hubby's social security number and charged $18,000.00. (May I add because Chrysler lost a box of records and ours happen to be in the box). When we called the credit card company numerous of times they would not tell us who had applied for the credit card application but it was under the hubbys name sent to another address. Our so called account but they protected the identy theif person. After finally getting the right person who probably put her job on the line and felt sorry for us, she told us who the person was. They lived in the county next to ours. So.... we filed charges, hired a lawyer, and are in the process of getting the charges off and putting alerts on our records. It has been so time consuming and frustrating. Last week the police officer called to let us know each county does not want to take the case. Feels it is the reponsibility of the other county. The county we live in says it is the county that the identy theif lives in and vice versa. So as to date no arrest has been made nor does it seem there will be one. You wonder why we have crime???
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
cdaniels -

Chrysler has a responsiblity, since their records were stolen, to pay for credit monitoring service. I hope they did this. Also, I would call the U.S. attorney general's office. I believe your identity theft case would be a federal crime. The feds don't care about the county. And they have more resources. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
We (wife and I) put a security freeze on our credit reports. We just bought a carpet and wanted to take advantage of the 12mo interest free deal.

My wife applied for an account and even though she already has an account with Citicard, the application was denied. So-the security freeze works! When we found out which credit agency Citicard was using, we removed the freeze temporarily and the account was ok'ed.

It cost nothing to put the freeze on all three agencies and it only costs $10 to do a temporary removal. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Here is the link.

http://www.consumersunion.org/campai...3484indiv.html
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a credit freeze on now, for 7 years. A little late but there. When we contacted Chrysler they only offered to put the freeze on and pay 1x to take it off. I agree Chrysler should have to take responsibility but they say sorry, we will pay to take the freeze off x 1. I think you are right about it being federal, but we tried to file charges with the State Police and they would not take the report either. They sent us to our County. It just goes around and around. The attorney is working on it now. Thanks everyone for your input. It was nice to hear it is pretty easy to take the freeze off when you need to. I wondered about that.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

We have a credit freeze on now, for 7 years. A little late but there. When we contacted Chrysler they only offered to put the freeze on and pay 1x to take it off. I agree Chrysler should have to take responsibility but they say sorry, we will pay to take the freeze off x 1. I think you are right about it being federal, but we tried to file charges with the State Police and they would not take the report either. They sent us to our County. It just goes around and around. The attorney is working on it now. Thanks everyone for your input. It was nice to hear it is pretty easy to take the freeze off when you need to. I wondered about that.
I didn't see anything about 7 years. I know that a fraud alert is 7 yrs but I thought the freeze was good until removed.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Best of luck, cdaniels. I hope they get the *(!@$$%^, if you know what I mean. Life has enough obstacles without these irritations.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Federal Trade Commission seems to be the regulatory body for Identity Theft.

Everyone should read the information contained on the Federal Trade Commission web site regarding Identity Theft.

It can take 2 years or more to straighten out your mess when your identity has been stolen.

On the Federal trade Commission web site is a link called:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite... Take A Report

It may help if you know the city/county that the credit card was used. A list of records of where the CC was used will establish a city/county of illegal activity. I would then think it would be that city/county's responsibility to take the report. Really look at the FTC web site as they give some very good information on what to do.

Good luck to you. It is one of my fears when traveling. I use a credit card with a low limit. It is also with one of the best darn institutions in the world.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks for all the support. We actually called the Federal Trade Commission when Chase informed us we had to pay it but after we filed the report with the FTC... Chase became much easier to work with. Imagine that! I think things are getting cleared up, just not a great time to have to deal with all this as we have a very sick family member and have no time, but the creeps don't care about people, they care about what they can steal. Anyway, thanks a million! It will work out, things always do. You just get stronger!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
My hopes are that this kid is young enough and he gets the RIGHT people involved in his life and he ends up using this life experience as a turning point in his life.

Glad you are able to recover some of your things....still doesn't take the sting out being a victim does it.?! That feeling will always be there.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I hope the little brat sits in juvenile lockup for a while. There was a kid like him in my class in high school. He ended up in prison after he stole a couple more cars and led cops on a chase. Sometimes people are just wired wrong no matter what their parents do. I pray you get that gun back.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Cindy...sorry you had to go thru all that. It's amazing what law enforcement doesn't handle. Makes you wonder what they do handle!! Dave and I were at Fort DeSoto for 4 days this week. Just got home today. Spectacular weather and Dave had a great time fishing (no bites though). I am really looking forward to March and meeting both of you....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
is is a post I did on the "credit card" thread. You can not entirely prevent identity theft and there is always a way but there are steps you can take to reduce the chances.....

"We have a cap on our accounts at our bank that nothing over 1000.00 can be processed without our approval. That includes us and includes any card issued by that bank, Debit, Credit checking and savings accounts. We also have a credit monitor with the 3 major credit report outfits that lock out our credit reports so no one, can access them and it works. When we leased the new Honda the dealer could not access our credit report and we had to unlock it. We get a monthly report on our credit reports and a instant alert on changes. This is not something we just did but have been doing it for a long time".. Enquote..

We did take pictures of the contents of the camper (and the stick house) and the pictures are in a safety deposit box at the bank,Don't take the pictures then leave them in the camper or house (yes folks do that) Firearms that we left at home are locked in a gun safe in a secure room at our Son-In Laws home. We do have a alarm system (noise maker) on the camper) There just are not secure places in a camper to secure firearms and it is a good idea to keep firearms at a minimum in the camper and well documented. All credit card are well documented so we can notify the CC company in case of loss or theft.Even then....things happen..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote