Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sad Sad Day State Park Closures and more!

IL's Gov. Rod Blagojevich is cutting more than 450 jobs and closing nearly two dozen state parks and historic sites -- including the David Davis Mansion and parks near LeRoy and Clinton
Here is the list of parks: This is so sad! Not to mention they are trying to close a prison located in Pontiac IL ...These communities will be hurting so much with all the closures they are facing..wow Gov Rod Blagojevich where is his mind???? We frequently used alot of these parks...sad very very sad!
The following Illinois State Parks will close effective November 1:

Castle Rock State Park, Oregon

Lowden State Park, Oregon

Hennepin Canal Parkway State Park, Sheffield

Illini State Park, Marseilles

Channahon Parkway State Park, Channahon

Gebhard Woods State Park, Morris

Hidden Springs State Forrest, Strasburg

Kickapoo State Park, Oakwood

Moraine View State Park, Leroy

Weldon Springs State Park, Clinton

Wolf Creek State Park, Windsor
Following are Illinois state historic sites that will be shuttered Oct. 1 as part of the state's budget woes:

Dana Thomas House, Springfield

Hauberg Indian Museum at Blackhawk State Historic Site, Quad-Cities

Lincoln Log Cabin, Lerna

David Davis Mansion, Bloomington

Fort de Chartres, Randolph County

Vandalia Statehouse, Vandalia

Bishop Hill, Henry County

Carl Sandburg, Galesburg

Cahokia Courthouse, Cahokia

Bryant Cottage, Bement

Jubilee College, Peoria County

Apple River Fort, Elizabeth

Fort Kaskaskia, Randolph County

Pierre Menard Home, Randolph County

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Back to,

How is this economic situation effecting me

well, this is how.

Very sad indeed.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
One day of the Iraq WAR budget could keep these parks open for years.
This was in the news today.
U.S. increases spending on contractors in Iraq
This year, spending on contractors, who protect diplomats, civilian facilities and supply convoys, is projected to exceed $1.2 billion, according to federal contract and budget data obtained by USA TODAY. Most of that bill — about $1 billion —is State Department spending, which is up 13% over 2007. The remaining $200 million covers Pentagon contracts.

Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
War is paid for by Federal funds, not State funds. I thought taxes were pretty hefty in IL? Not high enough or spending more than should be spent on all other programs?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
California is doing the same thing. It is indeed a very sad situation. And it doesn't look like things will get better any time soon.

Let's hope there will still be some places for us to visit as we go on down the road.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I wonder if it's just a partial closure on some of the parks. I know we have been to Moraine View State Park with the Airstream rallies and that is a beautiful park. I can't help but think they would leave part of the parks open with the revenue they bring in.

Here is a story on the park closures in ILL.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The Iraq war has nothing to do with state parks.

These idiot politicians need to do what the average citizen does when faced with a shortage of funds...reallocate, reduce spending, be a bit creative. They don't need to automatically close things and/or raise taxes.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
This is the results of spending more than you have. We live in a County that is number 1, out of 95 county's we have the highest unemployment rate. The factories went South, the latest one at one time had over a 1,000 employes. Our State Government has tried to buy out some employes to take early retirement. But thanks to NAFTA the jobs went south. I think the Gov Rod Blagojevich is doing the best he can, if you don't have the money then something has to go. We need more Government cuts, stop waste. Now our county is trying to raise taxes, really makes sense. We have a tiny Airport, and I was told 1 plane has landed there is several years. But the County just got a Government Grant for thousands of dollars. Its like the bridge in Alaska that went from no where to no where, thanks to their Governor it was stopped. They also just closed a part of our Prison in our area. Oh well, the Sun will come up and life is Good. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we are finding out how the high cost of energy efects us are we not. Ohio has not YET cut back on the State Parks. The major State income is taxes. Folks drive less and buy less. Income from those taxes go down. Folks lose their jobs, State income taxes revenue goes down. Welfare and unemployment compensation go up..the cost of energy for the State goes up all other State expenses go up. Simple.. Revenue goes down, expenses go up the State like us, runs low on money and has to make cuts. Ohio has dropped many road projects around the State. It will be worse next year as the States will have even less revenue to work with.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We don't have a Income Tax, but we do have a 9 3/4 sales Tax. And spending is down so therefore the coffers at the State level is down. So look out something is going to happen, they will have to come with something to get more of our money. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The States will either have to raise taxes to pay for the services we now have or reduce or eliminate the services. One of our local politicians once suggested that the city stop all services for say 1 month so the tax payer could see what services they do not get or which ones they could do without.I thought it was a very good idea. Perhaps the States could do that same thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hope they close the rest areas as the first thing to go. That will get everyone's attention very quickly! Worked in Minnesota a few years back!

Or, don't clear the next 15 inch snow storm, let em eat cake!

It is black humor people, are you smiling yet??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Very sad Illinois.

I just spent the last 10 days or so in CO State Parks and visited two more for future visits on the way home yesterday. I was just discussing with the DW yesterday how the state parks have really improved here and are booming (always full). It wasn't that many years ago that we looked for private parks first, state parks last, because of the lack of facilities in the government parks (hookups, etc.).

It is my perception that the federal parks here, which insist on remaining primitive, always suffer financial woes and and have the looming threat of closure or privatization. I'm sure it has more to do with the money source than the specific park income, but it would seem that if the feds spent a little money to install utilities at these parks like the state has, the parks would fill up.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sad thing is that most of these parks are full each weekend. Especially Illini Park..they turn people away!....People come to watch the barges and boaters on the river, The state just put in new docks and picnic area for the boaters...it is a shame that this will all grow up in weeds. I sure hope that our Gov will take a good long hard look at all the petitions that people are signing for these parks to stay open. He just raised the camping rates July 1st of this year...I really dont think he even gave the raise of fees a chance to see if that would work...Sad
Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow, that makes it more sad. Mismanagement maybe?

I hope they get the funding worked out or at least let them go to privatization to preserve them. The parks degrade so fast when nobody is operating them. Administrations come and go so quickly that policy rarely stays permanent and if they wait too long to reopen, it costs a lot more to recondition them.

I was thinking back and it was actually a referendum that saved our parks, at least in perception. The state threatened that if the referendum didn't pass all state parks would close. Of course the first place the money went when it did pass was to relocate the university Dean's house off-campus at a cost of several million.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being full on the weekend does not make it. Many private parks here went to seasonal only in a attempt to stay in business. Empty during the week and full on weekends will not pay the bills. We go into many local parks on Thursday (as we will today) for the weekend camping rally and they are mostly empty.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
Montana_3118
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3118
http://www.sj-r.com/news/x256662849/...24-state-sites This is the reason for closing Illinois State Parks and Historical Sites. copy and paste
Montana_3118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Private Parks are struggling to stay open also but these are our beautiful State Parks!
Below you will find a link to sign a petition to help save 11 of Illinois state parks from closing on November 1 of this year. These parks are awesome for hiking, camping, and the view is absolutely breathtaking. By closing these parks it is going to take away a lot of the revenue that towns generates from the tourists and campers that come to the area. If you could take time to sign the petition, It would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.thepetit ionsite.com/ 3/keep-illinois- parks-open
Old 09-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I don't know what your process is in IL but if you have it available why don't you do a recall of the gov.?

That is what happened in CA a few years back when we got in a crisis situation. It sounds like there are many more problems and not just the parks. Sort of extreme but sounds like you are at a turning point in your history.

We, too, are facing similar park closures so I wish us all the best of luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Have they offered voters a chance for big state corporations the option of taking over the lodges at those state parks? Lake Murray and Lake Texhoma in Oklahoma have both made an agreement for a state company to go into a lease agreement with the state parks which is resulting in two new state lodges and hotels. Time will tell how this marriage works out but the agreement is giving us two new beautiful facilities. I don't use those lodges but if it keeps my favorite lakes open I am all for it. At least the state was smart enough to put restrictions in place so these parks do not become private comapny retreats.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote