Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Time is short

Time is running short until we pick up our new second home next Monday. I've been busy this week cleaning out the barn to house our Monty while Vickie has been dealing with insuring it and the new barn. I was planning on having a bit more time to do all that. Tomorrow the hitch will be installed in the truck. I already have a gooseneck in it so the wiring harness and brake controller are in place. We've been making all sorts of lists. Things we need to buy right away, things we'll need later, thinge we can take from the house, etc. We're like a couple of kids at Christmas which isn't so far fetched as this is going to be our present to each other (probably both birthdays too). More when we bring her home.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Speaking about Christmas, don't forget that diamond for the DW. You only think she doesn't want anything!!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Jim-- How high of a door/s did you put on that barn to house the new Monte/ Hope it has a 14ft opening. If not watch when you pull through or back that new baby into it's cradle. Could loose a vent or two! Hope to meet you along the roads travel in the near future!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
The door is 14 high and 14 wide and the bay is large enough to open the slides inside.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Want to come and build me one like that out at the farm?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Now is the time to do it as material prices are way down. When we pick up the Monty on Monday and bring her home, we'll take some pictures in front of the barn. I put plumbing in it also so I can hook up the sewer line and turn it into a guest room. I wanted to be able to flush the tanks when we come back from trips.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Great idea on the plumbing and I'm presuming electrical set up. That's exactly what I would like to do to put our 2980 to bed for the winter in a nice cozy barn. Did you put heat in the barn also? I'd really like to see how you did the barn for future ideas for mine.Take care and if you're in the Omaha area give us a ring or drop us a line before you get here and we can meet for a good Nebraska steak or something!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Ron,
I didn't heat the barn because where we live it doesn't get that cold. When it does go below freezing during the night the inside of the barn doesn't go down that far. It rarely stays below freezing past 10 AM once the sun comes up. There is a room above (the cigar bar) that I will eventually finish and that will be insulated and climate controlled.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Would love to see pictures of your finished barn. Building one on our property is one of the top ten things that need to be done. I want something that will allow us to have the slides open when it is stored.

Enjoy that new second home. We have really adjusted to living in our ours for almost five months now. I was so excited when I was buying things for the Montana, I think I burned up a couple of registers at the Walmart near our campgrounds. I did get tired of lugging things from the stick house to the Monty so I have bought cheaper items that are duplicated from our stick home. When I find that the cheap thing isn't good enough I make a note and rob the stick house before we leave for an extended period. So far the only thing that I have transfered so far is some of my cookware.

Congrats on your purchase.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
The barn is 44 feet deep, 40 feet wide and 16 feet to the bottom of the trusses. There is a 44 X 13 foot room above it for the cigar bar (eventually). I had a choice of regular trusses or room trusses not adding any more height. The price was right so we went for the room. The bay for the Monty is 42 feet deep by 19 feet wide (half the width), plenty big enough (I hope) to open it up. I'll soon find out if my math is right.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Jim, I built a covered metal building 42-Long x 18-Wide x 14-High. It works great. It gives me room to open my slides on my 3400RL and still be able to walk around the unit. My building is not covered on the sides all the way to the ground. I only came down seven feet on the sides. This gives me seven feet from the ground up that is open. This lets me walk around the unit easier. If I had been going to close the sides all the way to the ground I would probably have gone with a 20-Wide building; but, I really didn't have room for a 20-Wide building. I would think your 19-Wide would be great. I would like to see some pictures too when you find time.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a what we call a Pole barn put on our site its 40' wide and 50' long and 16' high at each end wish now we would have went 60' long. We park the Truck and Car and the (SOB). Our Trusses are made of Steel and the Poles are 6x6 treated and 4 foot in the ground fill with concrete. However if I ever build another one it will be inclosed and will have overheads doors for the 5th wheel and be able to drive thru. If we decide to sell the house and Rv site we have already decided on another site for a RV only. And I know the things I want this time. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote