Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Montana_2461

M.O.C. #2461

Just taking a couple minutes from football to say hi and take a stab at taking part in a forum for the first time. In the near future, we will be retiring and taking advantage of the time to head to warmer climates and see the country. For now, we get to "enjoy" our Canadian winters, with only a brief respite when we head south in March. We are now looking to find the perfect fifth wheel and tow vehicle. We are pretty sure it will be a Montana, but just as unsure about the truck. One reason for signing up was to hopefully get some imput from other members. Hope to hear from you with the good, bad and ugly about tow vehicles.

Montana_2461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Marvin T Martian Esq, We are glad that you joined and look forward to seeing your post and hearing about all your great adventures. I can not help you with the truck stuff but I know other members will be along soon with answers to your questions.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome to the Forum, Marvin T Martian Esq -

Good luck on your future retirement. Judging from the number of fulltimers on the forum in Montanas, you should be able to find a great deal of information on the website. I believe that you will find most of the members here helpful and knowledgeable. You probably already noticed that in the General area there is a site specifically dedicated to trucks and tow equipment. We faced a similar decision - we had decided on a Montana (not the model) and got the highest rated towing vehicle we could without going to dually - this is also my hunting vehicle and the two tracks we go on are not conducive to duallies.

All of the trucks will do the job and comes down to personal preference (or bias). Montana has a lot of different floorplans to meet the wide needs of the 5er community. Keep us posted on which way you go on tow vehicle and 5er. Inquiring minds want to know.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Lee & Sue! You are probably doing the smart thing by researching these things first. Keep in mind the following are just my opinions. Others may disagree and hopefully will jump in and say so in that case.

Trucks. I think you'll find there are several options here. First, you need either a 3/4 ton or 1-ton truck. A half ton just isn't a safe option, at least for the Montana fifthwheels. I've been very pleased with the Fords. The 2005 models have tow ratings to 17,000 lbs in the 1-ton models and 16,500 for the 3/4 ton. Ours is rated for 15,400 towing and 23,000 gcwr. Some go to 23,500 gcwr in the new Fords. But the GM's and Dodge do a good job, too.

Diesel. Any of the current diesels do a great job. That includes the Dodge Cummins, the GM Duramax, and the Ford 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke diesels.

Gas. The Ford V10, the GM 8.1L, and the Dodge V10 (have to go used with that one, they don't put it in the new ones) are all known to do a good job. Probably some older engines, too, but I don't know much about them. The above engines have HP and Torque curves suitable for heavy towing with the peak values at a usable rpm level.

If you go 1-ton, then there's the question of single rear wheel or dually. My opinion on this is get whichever you're more comfortable with. You'll find proponents of each on this forum and I think both are right, neither are wrong. We tow with a single rear wheel and are very comfortable with that, having towed the current Montana about 25k miles and prior FW's probably another 15k or so. Other folks fell the dually has more stability in crosswinds, etc., but I've never felt an unstable moment. Again, go with your preference on this item.

Fifthwheels. If you read through this forum I think you'll see why we love our Montanas.
And how the manufacturer stands behind the product, which is very, very important to those of us living in these things on the road. Montana has been the number one seller in North America for three years in a row. I think they're leading again this year although I've not seen numbers in awhile. But they are number one and you know there's a reason for that. Any brand could lead for one year but you don't sustain that kind of sales and loyalty if you don't have a great product. "Bang for the buck" is what I hear most often about Montana.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you like, even the hard ones. You'll find in this forum we talk about problems freely and openly. And please let us know what you decide, even if you go with a different brand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Welcome to the forum. You can see by my signature that I have the Chevy Duramax. It has been a great truck for me and has pulled my Montana with ease. As for the Montana 5th wheel, this is my first 5th wheel and it is great. I have had travel trailers for the last 30 years but I will not have another now that I have the fifth wheel. They pull great, have a tremendous amount of room and storage. Our dealer was great to do business with and also does a great job servicing us after the sale.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marvin T Martian Esq
We are now looking to find the perfect fifth wheel and tow vehicle. We are pretty sure it will be a Montana, but just as unsure about the truck.
Hi to a fellow Canadian. Just wanted to say that "the perfect fifth wheel" has yet to be built, and you probably couldn't afford it if it had, but for our money, the Montana is close enough. As I write this from a Flying J parking lot in Alabama, we are on our way south to escape the Canadian (or more exactly, the S. Ontario) winter. We also have a Chev. Duramax and have had no reason to regret our choice. I don't think there really are any "bad or ugly" trucks in the current crop from the big three. Do your homework on the weight carrying capacity of any truck, and don't take a salesperson's word for it; look at the numbers. For myself, I would take a good look at the new 1 ton, SRW Chev, but there are other good choices out there.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome to the forum, As you can see there is a lot of great information to choose from. Do a search on issues you are concern about, and you will be very happy you did.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Lee & Sue to the MOC

First the right truck.... then a Montana.

Well let's see, 5 out of the 1st 6 replies (and I make it 6) are pulling our Montanas with a Chev/GMC Silverado with the Duramax/Allison combo. That should give you a hint in which direction we are leaning for a TV.

But in all honesty, Chevy, GMC, Ford or Dodge, they are all good and only you can decide which will be the best truck for you. Do your research and make your final decision and than go buy that Chevy
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Good advice Glenn,
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I guess I need to send you some magazines and some online magazine tests urls, huh??
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the MOC Forum and the Montana family. I am completely satisfied with the 3670 RL Big Sky Montana. Some of the other floor plans have features that I appreciate very much.

Everything in a 5er is a trade off so you have to determine what you want. We traded a closet for a Kenmore washer and dryer. Sure would like to have that closet but wanted the washer and dryer more. Some folks opt for a fire place but without that closet, we didn't want to sacrifice any more storage space. Push comes to shove, you are gonna have 400 sq. ft. plus or minus and you just gotta divy up that pie.

I bought my Montana as a second owner after it had been used for about a year fulltime. It was in pristine condition which is a credit to both the former owner and to Keystone.

On some other forums, I was insulted for towing my 36 footer with a 3/4 ton Ford Diesel. One guy was inclined to call me an idiot. All I can say is do the math and see if you have enough truck. I did the math.

Ford's diesel is and International, Dodge is a Cummins (owned by Ford by-the-way) and Chevy Duramax is an Isusu, all good and reliable engines. My Ford is a Longbox to accommodate sharp turns w/o wiping out the rear window, but others use a shortbox and a slide hitch to accomplish the same ends. Preferences again.

My prejudice is not which brand of truck but for the diesel over the gasser. Mileage and durability appear to favor the diesel.

I like my truck and I like my Monty. It is not superior to others. It just reflects my preferences. What ever you do, I hope you determine to enjoy the adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Montana_2461

M.O.C. #2461
Thank you all for your imput. I am still looking but think I have at least gotten the idea that I am better off with a diesel of some type. I friend has a GMC Duramax 2500 that he pulls his 36' Mobile Suites with. He just arrived in Texas and advises that it pulled like a charm. I have a few lined up to check out and have been watching Ebay for trucks in Texas and Arizona, but have to sell my van first before considering them. Again thanks and will be talking to you again.
Lee.
Montana_2461 is offline   Reply With Quote