Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Montana_539
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #539
Maiden Voyage

This weekend was the maiden voyage of our home on wheels! this is so great - had an absolute ball and eveything worked as anticipated. But of course it never seems to work out quite as I had planned.... seems to be the story of my life.

Now, we had hooked up "at home" and checked everything out last weekend, so we were pretty cranked up about getting on the road, seeing someplace new, and having a great place to stay. I had booked reservations at an RV park on the California coast. Near Pismo Beach, with the dunes to explore. (I've got to tell you, I'm getting tired of beautiful places on the internet, but in person it is something else - but I'm getting ahead of myself).

According to Mapquest, it is 3 hours and 13 minutes from the stick house to the RV park. What do they know? But I figured it was a good ride to get used to the rig, feel more comfortable with the driving, and so on. The drive was from the central valley of California over the low coastal mountains to the beach area around Pismo - Oceano. The forecast said 40% change of showers.... no problem, a litle rain never hurt anything. One hour into the drive, the light drizzle started. One hour and two minutes the torrential downpour started, with lowered visibility and fog! Maybe 100-200 yards visibility, with people passing, going 65-70, and I am feeling the knots in muscles in my shoulders I didn't know I had. (First rain of the season too - slippery is not the right term!)

But we were doing good - even though the road at times had 7% grades. The F350 tugged like a dream, and tried to stop like a dream - slighlty different dream... Rain, fog, speeders, cutting me off 7% downhill grades - I'm looking for a trade-in about this time on a pair of plane tickets to the Carribbean. But needless to say we got there, and managed to get hooked up in this RV park - pouring down rain - muddy gravel site... Did I mention I am getting tired of the presentation on the Internet?

Oh well, we have confirmed that regardless of the location, once you set up, your world is as you make it. Just wonderful.

By the way, the dunes on the coast are absolutely magnificent. This was during and after rain, so they were firm to walk on - and absolutely fantastic. Anyone that is traveling the west coast, I would invite to experience these miles and miles of huge sand dunes that are truly beautiful. Just stay away from the areas that are legal to off-road ATV's roaring away - unless that is your thing, and then I cn tell you this is a great place for this type of sport too.

And Bearboy the French Bulldog loved this area - ran until he was exhausted. So did we.

A great initiation - quite an adventure- and a good confirmation of the unit. Hope everyone else out there is doing well. See you on the road.

Oh, by the way, if you are out this way stop by the truly quaint town of Cambria - and have the meal of your life at the Sea Chest. Fresh oysters, clams, cioppino, and a wine cellar to die for...

Trygg, Vicki, and Bearboy the French Bulldog
2000 4X4 Ford F350, 7.3L, Long Bed, Ext Cab
2004 Big Sky 3295RK
Husky 16k, Prodigy
Payments till 3004

Montana_539 is offline   Reply With Quote