Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hello From SE Texas

I am new to this forum stuff so bear with me as I hope I get into this correctly the first time. We ordered our first Montana, a 3295RK that should be in about the first week in March. I have been reading posts and have obtained some good info so far, think that this is a good site. There are a couple of questions I would like to present. What is the experience with the granite impregnated composite counter top? Does it scratch easily? Is it new in the '05 model or has it been out for a while?

From what I have read, it appears that the Montana is not the perfect unit. Did anyone opt to buy an extended warranty? Does this
have to be done at time of purchase or can it be picked up after the
original warranty expires and what would be an ideal contract?

I had some reservations about pulling as this is heavier than my last one, but looks like I should be OK from what everyone is saying.
Have an '01 F-250 7.3L Super Duty diesel with a performace chip, Extended Cab with full 8' box and 16K Draw-Tite hitch. Air bags may be necessary, but don't really plan to load it down too heavily.

For those that have been discussing floor plans, there is now an option for king size beds. This is why I ordered and did not buy one from inventory. In order to make room they had to move the washer/dryer hook-ups into the forward closet on the door side of the unit. Not sure which units it is available in, but saw one in a 2955 RL.

I would appreciate some info on the questions.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
First of all Welcome to MOC ... We too have a 3295 RK but it is an 03 so I can't answer the countertop question, although I've seen other threads covering this issue. Don't have an extended warranty either, but again, I'm sure someone else will come along and help you with that one.

I can comment on your truck question ... I've consulted my resident truck expert and he says you shouldn't have any trouble pulling your rig. My expert tells me there are lot of members driving similar trucks, with and without the chip.

Charlie ... there is no such thing as a "perfect unit." If humans are involved in any way, there can/will be problems. We recently looked over a $150+K Teton Home at the Tampa RV Show and as I opened a cabinet door it fell off in my hand. If a "perfect unit" actually existed, no one could afford it.

Again, welcome to MOC and may you have many, many miles of enjoyment in your Montana.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Charlie - welcome to the form and congratualations on buying a Montana. I do not have the extended warranty either. In fact, I never even consider it having had prior experience with Keystone products, and my dealer, I never considered that option. I will say having RVed for many years, these units are the best going in that price range. You can invest more, but as vickie stated, you may not get any better quality. Be happy with your decision and understand that it is a mechanical instrument that you will bounce up and down the highway and normal maintenance is essential and key. Best of luck to you and yours.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Welcome Charlie to the MOC. I really think if there was a perfect RV out there they would not sell it to us as they would keep it for show. As we know there is no such thing as a perfect RV, but the Montana is a good quality one. All brands have some problems but I think of all the Travel Trailers I have owned over the years, the Montana so far has had the fewest problems and it is of the best quality that I have had.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Charlie,
We have the new countertops. My husband does all of the cooking and he is not the most careful person and we still have not had any problems with scratching. We do use a cutting board. These countertops are not meant to "shine". There is a method for removing sratches that is listed in the manual for the countertops. It should be with the other couple of dozen you will receive when you get your unit.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey, hey, Charlie,

I grew up in Freeport and all that area was my stompin' grounds. Used to know a preacher down there named Snow. He had a son named George and he and I are friends. Migrated to Clear Lake and NASA. Are you a Dow Chemical man? Well, enough of that.

I am pulling a heavier rig than you are purposing with the same engine. The thirty six footer pulls easily. Just added a Hypertech programer for added horsepower on some hills.

My unit is a Big Sky and has had the granite top at least since 2003. After 18 months of fulltiming by previous owner, the surfaces are beautiful. We use a "don't cut without a teflon cutting sheet between knife and top" rule.

Since I bought a previously enjoyed unit, the fact that he had a transferable extended warranty was a selling factor especially since there would be no factory warranty for me. They can be purchased separately from groups like Escapees and Good Sam Club. The clubs might give you a better price than the dealer. It only cost $75 to transfer and I still have 5 years on a seven-year extension contract.

Welcome to the Forum. Maybe we'll run across one another at Brazos Bend or Quintana State park. Have a great adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Charlie,
First of all welcome to the MOC forum. You have chosen a great unit. We love our 3295RK. Have been looking at the other floorplans, but have not found one we like any better which would fit our needs. We opted not to buy the extended warranty and we have had very few minor problems with our Montana. When and if we decide to purchase another unit it will be a Montana. As the composite counter tops are new in the 3295RK, cannot help you with that part of your post, but see you have received some great replies from other members. May you have many happy miles in your new wheel estate!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Charlie the the forum,
I have the 2980rl and I also had some smile issues and repaired them myself. Like everyone mention nothing is perfect and we do move these unit on rougth surfaces. If you read other sites you will hear problems with other units. You've made a good choice, again welcome.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Charlie to the MOC Family.

There is little that I can add to what already has been said except to reenforce the fact that ALL manufacturers have their problems and I hate to admit it but our beloved Montanas are not exempt. Our rig is 16 months old and we have had only 1 problem and that involved a sagging shower door. Not too bad considering we are fulltimers and live in our rig 24/7/365.

As you have no taken delivery as yet I would like to suggest a way of reducing the possibility of any problems. Here is a link to a PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklist. Print this check list and take it with you on the day you pick up the rig. Using this check list, go over your new rig with a fine tooth comb. This is a very time consuming project and you quite possibly may not find a problem But if there are any now is the time to find them while still sitting at your dealer rather than after it's sitting in your driveway or set up in that first campground.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Charlie. Your truck will do just fine. You may or may not need airbags. I'd wait and see if it squats once you have the loaded rig attached. The 3295RK has the heaviest pinweight of any Montana other than the 3685FL (which is slightly heavier)so there's a possibility you will need airbags.

Stiles, not a big deal but just to clear up a possible misconception, keep in mind overall length doesn't necessarily mean heavier. The 3670 has a higher Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) than the 3295 by 40 lbs. (190 lbs in the Big Sky). But the 3295RK has the highest Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) other than the 3685FL, which has GVWR 40 lbs more. So depending on options and how it's loaded, the 3295 could very well be heavier than someone else's 3670. Last time we weighed ours it weighed in at 13,980 lbs with 3,120 pinweight. Don't want to make a big deal out of this but did want to point out that the 3295 is one of the heavier Montanas with almost the heaviest pinweight, which is what matters for whether airbags are needed. In any case, all of the Montanas are heavy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Charlie,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on getting a Montana. As has been previously said, nothing is perfect, and vigilance and maintenance are essential. After looking at 5th wheels for more than 2 years, we found the Montana appeared to be the most comfortable and better equipped than most we looked at for the money. Enjoy and share your adventures as they unfold.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote