Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #401
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with you, Skypilot. Well, I didn't make it in time. Diesel hit 4.11 at the cheapest station. They are raising prices as we speak. 22.45 gals = $92.50.

I have an idea. Raise the price of oil to $200/bbl TOMORROW. Kill off the entire US economy/dollar ASAP. Our leaders don't seem to be bothered by what's happening anyway. Don't drag people through this painful drawn out process that they are going through now. Then we can start all over again with a brand new country and brand new politicians. The sooner, the better. How do you spell "Euro"?

I'm sorry, was that a little too negative???

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #402
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Storm? What storm, Rich? I can't hear you the wind is howling too loud...
Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #403
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Well, I guess we'll have to change our paradigms, if that's what it takes. We just got back from a very nice 3 day weekend at Chatfield Reservoir State Park, 11 miles from our house. Enjoyed the trip, but I'm beginning to worry that diesel will go to $5.00 this summer, and I'd like to get a little farther from home!

I'm not quite sure why we aren't drilling in ANWR and off shore, except for the bedwetters among us. There was a huge discovery of oil in Brazil not too long ago, and I haven't heard a word about it.

Things will be different, come the revolution.

If it gets much worse, we may have to sleep a night or two in the storage lot, just to remember what Monty feels like.

Hang in there!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #404
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Eugene, the Brazilian find was enormous. Largest oil reserve discovered in the last 30 years, making it the 3rd largest reserve in the world. What scares me to death is that the day that was announced (the beginning of this week?), traders ignored this and the price of oil actually drifted UP! Their excuse? The USD dropped in value some more that day against world currency... As David Letterman would say, "WHAT???"

Something is definitely wrong here...
Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #405
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Seward still rising. We are now $4.59. Tuesday in Anchorage, we paid $3.96. OUCH. BTW, "cheap" gasoline in Seward up to $4.01. I'm looking at getting rid of my car and buying a hybrid.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #406
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I paid $4.04BP in Montgomery, Al. yesterday. Fuel prices are one reason Alabama has all but passed an amendment stopping state sales tax on groceries(offset will be disallowance on Fed tax deduction on state income tax). I also read that the US's consumption has been flat for the last 5yrs, that same artical(I think MSN)said all should settle back down by fall. There assumptions were based on OPECS production is at full production so supplies can't outrun demand at the present...For what it's worth

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #407
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
On as Long Island regular gas is $3.89 in some stations and minimum $ 3.55. The cheapest diesel is $4.49. All we need is a nation wide general strike or sick out. All our politicans are worth nothing.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #408
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
correction diesel price at the Hess station yesterday was $4.43, this morning was $4.49 and tonight is $4.59.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #409
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Last Sunday Diesel was $3.72 a gallon. It went up to $4.09 today at the same truck stop in Oklahoma City. I have parked the tow vehicle and resorted to driving my 4 banger around town. At this rate we are going to cancel our big summer trip and take a couple of long weekends to the lake.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #410
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and I can ride out the storm but we feel for those who struggle more and more each day just to get to work and buy the basic needs for themselves and their familes. I see something we have never seen before..bikes.the streets are filled with bikes. Our summer adventure to the N.E States is scrapped. We have already spent 4K of this years travel budget and there is not enough left considering the daily increases in energy to do the entire trip. The big Diesel will not be moving much..local camping and 2 1 tank trip rallies at "todays price of 164.80 per tank. The Honda will be our mode of transport I am driving the bus again so that will increase our travel budget and Helen's mouse salary helped. We fear for what may happen as folks become unable to provide for themselves.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #411
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The extremely down side of this is that people will turn to violence to make their needs be met. We are in for some bad times I'm afraid.

I'm still planing on our N.E. trip. Couple of reasons. Son graeduates from Naval War College in Rhode Island and we want to be there even if it's not a big deal. The saving grace is that he is only 2 hours from my brother's house and we can park the Hanna in my brother's yard. That will cut down on a few weeks of CG fees. At 10 MPG, 2000+ miles, just the fuel expense will be over $800. But this is something we have been planning for and by golly, we are going to continue on.

Packin'
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #412
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I'm surprised that there have not been any more reports of "drive offs" from the gas stations for non payment. I guess most of them have gone the prepaid route. Louise and I went to breakfast yesterday and reg was 354.9. When we came out it was 363.9. I did top off the Dodge yesterday for 409.9=$27 OUCH.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #413
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Yesterday as we headed up into Zions, 2 stations in LaVernkin, UT had diesel at $4.09. On the way out, the price at those same stations was $4.15. One of them was affiliated with a grocery store where if you made a $50 purchase you got a coupon discounting the cost per gallon .15. What we needed cost $53.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #414
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We note that many stations have the credit card slot taped off and a "cash only" sign on the pumps. Filled the 6.4L at 4.089 today and we will not be movimg till May 26th. If you have beem saving for that one long trip and have the $ then of course you have to go. We have already spent near 4,000.00 in travel for 08 and we sure don't have another 4,000 to spend. We will still have a summer adventure..just in a different place.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #415
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well I just read another article from an "expert" that says that by August everything should be back down to around $3.00. Not sure if this was the same group that foresaw gas peaking at $3.30 the middle of April, then gradually dropping.

I can't help wondering if any of these experts and/or elected officials are reading ANY of these blogs/forums about the intent of the general public on their travel plans - or lack of them - for the summer. If they are, alarm bells should be going off in their heads.

I don't know... maybe I'm misjudging how badly our already sagging economy will be affected by a 40%-60% (maybe higher?) reduction in tourism this summer in this country?

And if Americans do decide to go to the wall (and beyond) financially this summer and overextend themselves - most likely on credit and credit cards - what effect will this skyrocketing consumer debt have on our economy and on our American way of life?

I foresee a TON more foreclosures and bank failures. The Fed cannot continue to throw out life rafts to these financial institutions.

I am not sure just how much of our country's economy depends on the summer tourism season. The 9/11 terrorists were really stupid. If they REALLY wanted to hurt us, they would have planned their attacks at the BEGINNING of the summer travel season - not AFTER it was over.

Can you imagine taking all the planes out of the sky for 3 weeks at the beginning of the summer travel season? There were thousands of travel related businesses that closed their doors within 30 days of the attacks? My daughter was one that lost her job, as the travel agency she worked for had to shut down.

This is just my rambling thoughts on the matter. JMHO.

Maybe everything will be hunky-dory.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #416
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Seeing as how diesel is traded in dollars and the value of the dollar is in the dumper, and the Fed is planning more rate cuts, I think the price of oil will only go up.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #417
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I am NOT making any bets on the on the economy getting better this fall. Dennis, they don't care as they have the money to buy what is needed. The heck with those that don't. The crooks [politicians] are just going to bail out their money buddies at out expense. The sad part they think it is funny. I think it is very sad.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #418
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
To the reply of "drive offs." They have a better method now. They drive a big van into the gas station parking lot and park over the fill holes. Open up a trap door and pump directly into holding tanks within the van. News recently showed a van caught in the act and they had taken $5000 worth of fuel.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #419
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Gas stations are in a "feeding frenzy" right now. Jumping gas prices twice a day, and not by a little. Gas now 3.55-3.65. Diesel holding at 4.20.

Read one blog today where a gas station owner was complaining that people were yelling at him and he tried to explain how little he actually makes on the price of fuel and asking people stop complaining to him.

I have no sympathy. I agree they are getting squeezed in this process, too. However, he knew the business he was getting into when he bought the stations. People complain to the station personnel when the price of fuel is much lower than it is now. It is the nature of the beast. He choose that business. Get thicker skin or get out. When something like this happens, you just have to toughen up and quit whining and looking for sympathy.

I don't think that's too harsh. There are a lot of people suffering right now that didn't choose their position they are in.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #420
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Strange,,Gas prices went up .12 cents overnight, to 3.599 yet diesel has remained at 4.099 average since we returned from Florida. I don't understand??????