Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Tire Pressure Monitors

I have been reading thru the archives here and on other sites about different monitors. I am thinking I will go with a Doran, as that is what I have noticed to be the most popular. What is a fair price to pay for an 8 tire set up? I was hoping to avoid asking the dealer about them and paying his mark-up. I’m sure I can install the system as they don't look too difficult. Thoughts anyone???

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You are going to pay the flat rate for the unit(receive) and four tire units. It was $45 for each additional tire unit. So you need a minimum of 8 for both truck and trailer and two more if you monitor you spares too.
They are not difficult to install. Finding a place to mount the receiver display is fun.
PS if you use ham radio you could have an interference problem they use 430 MHz low power.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I have a CB radio. But don't sound like it messes with that too bad. At least I didn't hear of any complaints while reading old post about the Doran ones.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Fordzilla, have 8 wheel system, no problems with CB, purchased directly from Doran, here are their prices. http://www.doranmfg.com/tire_pressure_wireless.htm I am into 2nd year of continuous use and no sensor problems yet.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Bought mine from Amazon.com. It was $20.00 cheaper than buying from Doran, but it came directly from Doran.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Fordzilla,
I got mine at www.rvcams.com, be careful because if you leave the S off, you'll go somewhere you probably won't tell anyone about. I paid just over $500 for the monitor & 8 sensors last year. You might want to put the mfg. name and stock number into www.froogle.com. It will list the best current prices. It's a great system.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
It looks like a guy is stuck buying at retail price. I will probably just order it locally then. Thanks for the information everyone. I will probably have more questions in a month or so after getting it and trying to install. Are you guys getting the locks as well to prevent them from working loose and falling off?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Didn't know they made locks. I've had no problem with them loosening up. It's really easy to install. Like someone else said, the hard part is figuring out where to put the monitor. I used velcro and double-faced tape on the front of the dash. Works fine.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell me about the value of having the tire monitor system.Have been pulling for many years and never had a tire problem.I understand there function and the danger of tire overheating.Of course I never pulled anything as heavy as a Fifth wheel. However..if you keep high quality tires on your rig, maintain proper tire pressure, be aware of your surrounding's, that is if it is 100 out running 75 on the interstate for a long period of time may not be the smart thing to do.Do you really need the system..I like things that improve safety and am considering the system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
My last trailer I had tire problems for the 5 years we owned it. We had a blowout almost every time we went on a road trip. We haven't had any problems with the tires that came on the Monty yet. But we had planed a couple of extended vacations this fall and were trying to be proactive with something like this rather than reactive after the tire had shredded the side of the trailer. I too check the pressure before we leave on any road trip. We weighed the old trailer twice a year and were never overweight. I think I just had bad tires. But for the price of this monitor it will be money well spent in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:28 AM   #11
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
We bought our Mountianeer Oct. 2005.
I think the company has put the cheapest tires possible on our rig. On our way back to Oklahoma from W.Va. we have had 2 blow ours. We don't have monitors on the tires. Therefore the tires were ruined by the time we were told by another driver we had a flat.
Guess we will need to get monitors put on.
delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Or buy some quality tires...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
RV owners fall into two categories. Those who have had tire failures & those who WILL have tire failures irrespective of the brand of tires. TT tire failures are not as easy to detect as on the TV & early recognition is essential to prevent damage & possibly accidents. A tire monitoring system improves the odds of early recognition.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote