Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
Montana_6513
Established Member

M.O.C. #6513
Insurance

Do you insure your tow vehicle with the same company that insures your fifth wheel? If so names and numbers of agents in Nevada or nationwide would be greatly appreciated. We called good Sam but they won't insure unless it is registered and Nevada won't register a vehicle unless you have proof of insurance for that specific vehicle.

Montana_6513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I dont...

Foremost for the Monty
State Farm for the TV

it was cheaper that way for me.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I insure both with the same company: National Interstate through Explorer RV Agency. I believe most insurance companies give you a break if you insure both with them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Had em both with State Farm, no discount on the RV, same price for the RV all over state of Michigan (not fulltimers insurance, RV insurance). They figure you can tow it in and out of safer areas, so they average the price all around the state, or so we were told. We had everything we insure, with State Farm, but Al was not happy with the coverage or the way they figured the insurance levels sooooooooooooooooo

Ended up at Progressive Insurance for Tana, much better deal, if you total within 5 years of purchase, they give you a brand new RV.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Both our vehicles and Montana are insured with State Farm at the present time. We will be placing the Montana with another company when our policy runs out this next period. State Farm writes their RV policy on an auto policy so they will not give you replacement cost coverage on the Montana nor will they give you it on your TV.

As Mrs. CountryGuy/ Carol mentioned her hubby didn't like how SF writes the coverage so he moved it to a company that will replace the Montana. We will be doing the same once our Montana is a year old.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Both our vehicles and Montana are insured with State Farm at the present time. We will be placing the Montana with another company when our policy runs out this next period. State Farm writes their RV policy on an auto policy so they will not give you replacement cost coverage on the Montana nor will they give you it on your TV.

As Mrs. CountryGuy/ Carol mentioned her hubby didn't like how SF writes the coverage so he moved it to a company that will replace the Montana. We will be doing the same once our Montana is a year old.

Colleen
Colleen,
I take it that you don't full time. We had State Farm and they dropped us when we went full time in our Montana back in 2000. They did the same thing in 1982 the first time we tried full timing. Every insurance company makes you purchase insurance for the vehicles pertaining to the state they are registered in (licensed). For example, we tried having Texas registration and use our son's address in Iowa, thus giving us the Iowa insurance rates. Nope! That's illegal and insurance companies are not required to pay if a person tries insuring that way.

Orv
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We insure with Frankenmuth all vehicles, Montana, Home..The Montana is written under our Homeowners insurance and is insured as if it were a home..which it is . I always wondered why the camper would be insured under a auto policy when it is not a motor vehicle???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
All vehicles, stick house, and life with State Farm. Montana with someone else ( CRS ). Our SF Agent is a good friend and told us the policy we got elsewhere was a very good one, much better than SF would do, and it will replace the Montana.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Quote:
quote:Colleen,
I take it that you don't full time. We had State Farm and they dropped us when we went full time in our Montana back in 2000. They did the same thing in 1982 the first time we tried full timing. Every insurance company makes you purchase insurance for the vehicles pertaining to the state they are registered in (licensed). For example, we tried having Texas registration and use our son's address in Iowa, thus giving us the Iowa insurance rates. Nope! That's illegal and insurance companies are not required to pay if a person tries insuring that way.

Orv
We are not fulltimers Orv and probably will never get to that point. Saying that when I have said I will NEVER do something it has away of coming back to haunt me. We want to travel at some point, hopefully soon, but hubby is an insurance adjuster that stayed home this year due to lack of mean storms. We own a dog and cat boarding kennel that we are in the process of selling. Travel will start when the sale is final. I will drop State Farm long before they drop us. Texas allows companies to write an RV on an auto policy. I must dust off the insurance license and call the state board of insurane and ask a few questions. Each state is different on how they write coverages and what they cover on each policy. Hubby just loves it when he goes to a new state. He has to read lots of endorsements and declarations to make sure that things are covered. Lots of people get upset when they find out things aren't covered under their policy. All of it is in black and white... now understanding all of that stuff takes lots of questions. Example would be homes lost in Mississippi, is it wind or was it tidal surge. State Farm is being sued by no less than two Congressmen right now that say the wind took their homes and not the wall of water. Lots of people in New Orleans would have loved to have a Congressman that lived down the street from them so they could say the wind did it all.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am with Shelter Insurance and it is CHEAP! I have the replacement on my policy and it is only $250 a year. This is the same company my Auto Insurance is with and I have found them much cheaper than the other comapnies in Oklahoma.
I hope this helps
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We insure with Frankenmuth all vehicles, Montana, Home..The Montana is written under our Homeowners insurance and is insured as if it were a home..which it is . I always wondered why the camper would be insured under a auto policy when it is not a motor vehicle???
Brings back memories Rich of when we lived north of Flint in Montrose. Everyone had insurance with Frankenmuth. Good insurance company as I remember.

Orv
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Drive/Progressive for the truck.

National Interstate for the Montana.

Separate only because that was the best deal. I have no problem having both with the same company if that were the best deal.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We insure our Monty as Rich mentioned....as a home since it is our second home. T/V is covered under the same company so we do get a discount by having all our vehicles and homes with same company.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
The Truck and Phyllis' Chev HHR are insured with Geico ins Co--$1046 per year for full everything
Monty is insured with Progressive ins Fulltimer plan, Full replacement value, Coolision, Comprehensive, liability, $10,000 on contents, etc $630 year
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
The Truck and Phyllis' Chev HHR are insured with Geico ins Co--$1046 per year for full everything
Monty is insured with Progressive ins Fulltimer plan, Full replacement value, Coolision, Comprehensive, liability, $10,000 on contents, etc $630 year
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #16
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Tow vehicle, family van and Montana with GEICO.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #17
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Today we have the TV, Monty, 2nd car, and the stick built all through MetLife. I say today as they just increased my auto rates 52% or an increase of $654.00 because I had an accident late last year (my fault, long story). And now for some strange reason my agent won't return my calls after I left a message asking for some assistance on getting this changed.

It could be hard now to get a good price because I did have an accident but need to see what I can find because of what MetLife did to me.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
The F250 and the Honda CRV, homeowners and the Monty - State Farm - that may change in the future, but is the best for us right now!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #19
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We use GEICO for both.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #20
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have Fulltimers RV Insurance with National Interstate for the Tana and our truck. Funny that Progressive was cheaper for you Steve. It was a tad higher for us and I know we both use the same agent out of South Dakota. We may have to check this out before the next renewal.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote