Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Just moved into a '14 3402RL, typical bunch of issues...

We have spent the past year in a 24' travel trailer, and encountered a variety of problems along the way, so I have picked up a pretty good bit of experience working on these things.

So we came across a '14 Montana, already parked in a beautiful spot, 125 gallon propane bottle hooked up and a small wooden patio with steps.

BUT...

Found a long-standing leak at the panel where the dump valve handles are located, and had to put a dehumidifier on that area to dry it out.

Appears the previous full-time owners did not flush out the black tank, so I have a mess there that I am slowly chipping away at.

I am not sure if the black valve is opening all the way (reason I came to this Forum, in the first place!).

Since I am using the black tank flush, I found that the anti-siphon tube under the bedroom sink leaks when using the flush, so in the process of bypassing that thing. Happened in my other trailer, as well.

Probably my biggest gripe is one of my recliners is literally falling apart underneath us. I have had to take the crossbar out that holds the seat springs, and reposition it twice, this time with a healthy dollop of gorilla glue, so hopefully it holds this time. Every time it lets loose, it grinds of more of the wood on each end where it attaches, and soon I will have no more wood to work with.

So, lots of little gripes, but overall we LOVE the place!!!

I am just so happy that I can do this stuff myself and don't have to hire help!

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Sounds like a find, congrats. Yes, flooded my bathroom and bedroom in a used Open Range I bought flushing the black tank, same issue, anti-siphon valve failure. They need to replace the current design, and I get why they are there but bypassing fixes it forever.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
Sounds like a find, congrats. Yes, flooded my bathroom and bedroom in a used Open Range I bought flushing the black tank, same issue, anti-siphon valve failure. They need to replace the current design, and I get why they are there but bypassing fixes it forever.
I still use an anti-backflush in-line on the outside hose. Same purpose, no chance of flooding.

Luckily, both of mine did not "flood" as much as just left spray or small puddles on the floor.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have had to replace the junk Flair recliners in our rig, as they fell apart also. We went to a local furniture store and found what we liked and would work. Ordered them in a fabric we liked and they are much lighter and built twice as strong as the ones we had. Fortunately, we have not had any problem with our flush backflow valve. Ours is located between the shower wall and the back of the pantry, but we full time and the rig has never experienced a freeze inside, so it still works fine with no leaks.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Well, it looks like it definitely is not closing securely. Flush water continues to trickle out even when the valve is supposedly closed. It slows down, but still comes out. So looks like I need to do some valve work soon.

Also, might explain why it got backed up in the first place, if it is draining all the time and staying dry in the tank.

Tank is running pretty clear now, so I think I got the bulk of the junk out.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might get one of these twist on valves to put on your drain hose connection. That way, you can fill your black tank with the normal valve open, add water to the tank and let it soak for several days, and maybe whatever is keeping your valve open will clear. It would also help to add a dose of tank cleaner that targets tissue, as that may be what's keeping the valve from closing.
http://www.valterra.com/product/twis.../?pcat_id=1473
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Cool! Second time today you have helped!