Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
New Versus Used RV

OK, I can buy a 2006 for about $6,500 less than a new 2009 RV. The used unit seems to be in excellent condition, however the dealer will only provide a 60 day warranty. I know the unit is about to be 3 years old, the 3 year extended warranty is about $2,300 and I suspect I will have to change the tires out. When all this is considered there is less than $3,000 difference between new and used. I am asking for opiniions/personal experiance about new versus used.
Thanks
James and Jan Lee

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
James, I always prefer to go with new. One really never knows what they are getting used and once the deal is done it is a done deal, if you know what I mean. A $3000, difference, in my mind, is NOT a deal maker, considering you have a new unit and a new factory warranty. There are also the newer upgrades to consider also, However, the used one may have many upgrades not provided by the factory that you may be interested in. Many of us seem to buy a new unit and then spend extra money to "get it the way we want it". Something to consider as you ponder your choice. And, actually, the '06 price diff is not very attractive. Seems a 3 year old rig should sell for much less than what you describe. Hope this helps somewhat, of course, the ultimate decision is yours and you should be happy with that decision. Good Luck!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Phil. For $3000, I would go with new just for the peace of mind. If it was $10,000, then probably used. No doubt there are some great used units out there, but still it is an unknown unless you personally know the previous owner.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Phil is right, the way the economy and market is right now, I would say they are way off the mark on their used prices. I think you are in control of this right now. You should name your price on a used unit and have them throw in what you need to make the deal right, like tires or an extended warranty. RV dealers need to move inventory,so don't be afraid to push them,it is a buyers market. There are many dealers out there that will do it if that one won't.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
This dealer is not doing you no favors.Check the blue book price on the used unit compared to what he is selling it for.Once these campers leave the lot the value takes a hit.If you want to buy used and save money buy private with experience people helping you
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Go with new. I made the mistake of going with used the first time and it was a disaster. The dealer wasn't honest with me and they are big and well known, too. I got an SOB with so much hidden mold I couldn't be in it for more than an hour without getting sick. I'm not saying everyone's experience buying used will be like mine but if you HAVE the extra money for new, I'd definitely go with new. Especially since to be honest the new one isn't that much more than the old one, like others have said with the economy being like it is that is NOT a good enough price difference between the two, and all things considered, you get more bang for your buck with new with the warranty and the absence of a possibly sketchy history. ESPECIALLY if you have allergies or someone you love does. You never know where the trailer has been, or what it's been through, even if it doesn't have mold problems, allergies from another state could be embedded in the fabrics. That one year warranty because it's new WILL be handy and WORTH IT, trust me. I've not even had my monty a month yet and have already had to make use of it more than once, and not just for minor issues. The good thing is after a year of living in it anything that is going to break when it shouldn't will have broken and when the warranty is up hopefully it will be more solid. If something big goes wrong in the used one that you have to fix, you could possibly sink that extra bit you saved into it fixing it, because it's not that big of a price difference. Just my opinion, I'm young and naive, though.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
James, I sent you a PM, Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
James, I sent you a PM. Bruce
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
jaleepadgett, Its wonderful to have a choice. I agree with Phil, since you have a choice I would for sure go for the new 5er. When buying used your going in blind. And many 5th wheels have had water leaks and a variety of issues. You will not know what problems they have had. We bought a new 5th wheel and it had been used at a Rally and because of that it had some issues. It had lots of scratches on the counter tops were things had been set down and moved accross the counter tops. If you do decide to buy used look behind the basement panels (walls) to see if you can see were water has leaked. You really need a professional to do the PDI. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I agree with the comments on buying new. We looked at a 3400RL 2006 for $40,000. A dealer in Indiana, offered to sell us a new 2009 with mor/ryde suspension and hitch pin with a 2nd ac in the bedroom for $40,130, plus tax, which you would have to pay if you purchased a used unit from a dealer. Unfortunately individuals with used units are having a hard time taking the hit on the sale relative to what they paid for them compared to what dealers are selling new units today.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, I am the contrarian here. If this is your first rig and you are not sure about this fifth wheel stuff, a previously owned unit may work very well. The only thing I see is that the dealer is trying to gouge you on the price. Knock off about $8,000 to $10,000 additional and then it will be a good deal. Offer him that and if he won't deal, walk away.

Our first unit was a preowned unit and it was great. I had less trouble with it than I have had with this new one because all the bugs had been worked out by the first owner. I got it and the preowned TV for less than half what new would have cost. When I traded for new, I got within $2,000 of what I paid for it. That's 4 years of experimentation for 2,000 bucks. When we decided to buy new, we knew exactly what we wanted.

You need to shop that extended warranty too. It sounds about $1,000 or more too high. Check out the Good Sam Club service policy offer, and there are others also.

Montanas are great units, but all Montana deals are not great deals. Well wishes as you continue your search.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
I think you should look for a different dealer unless they're giving you a screaming deal on the new rig. We bought our 06 3670RL for about $30,000 less than the current list with alot of extras the previous owner installed. If you're going to spend that kind of cash, go new. Or do some more shopping around, the deals are out there. Just my opinion.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
I'm with Stiles on this.
My first 5er was a 2 year old SOB that I made a very low ball offer on.
DW and I agreed "no way will he take it"......but the dealer did take it. Now I had to go out and buy a big pickup truck !!!!
I had very few system problems and quite a few learning experiences (not all of them inexpensive) after using it and ocassionally accidently abusing it for 2 years we knew exactly what we did and did not want and traded it on a new 5er.
The dealer gave me what I paid for it!!!
If this is your first 5er good, used, cheap is the way to go.
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Good evening , I agree with the others that have suggested you buy new, however if you are interested in a used unit try this site , www.crankyape.com , they do bank repos and looks as though they have some great deals. Good luck ...Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I feal you have to find a new dealer ,, the new should be at least 40%more than the used unit and today all the new units are in the mid $40,000.00 or less so take it from there , they have tooo much in the unit to sell it for less so go elseware ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Also another thing to consider is if you are financing, generally you get a much better rate and longer time options on new. So your payment isn't that much different than used.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Something else to consider that I've haven't seen addressed hear.
INTEREST RATES !!! Interest rates on used vehicles are higher than new, also the terms are not as long. So realistically you could have a higher payment on the used RV and in the long run you will have paid more for that one than if you just bought the new RV. So unless you are paying cash this may be a deal breaker for you. So if you are still interested in the used RV sounds like it is way overpriced.
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote