Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Lessons learned on our PDI

We did the PDI yesterday of the new Monty and it took 5 hours. I think the PDI rep was a saint because he was the most thorough and understanding gentleman who even moved our pinbox level for us. And even after 5 hours, some of it was spent in the sale's manager's office as he was trying to renege on a fireplace for a 10th Anniversary edition, we missed a few things I thought I'd share.

First of all, remember that everything must be in writing. Our biggest problem was the model we looked at was missing a fireplace and was explained that there'd be one as PART OF THE PACKAGE upon PDI. No problem since it was part of the package we did not get it in writing. So on PDI the fireplace was not installed and we mentioned it and then the sales manager questioned my integrity stating that the fine print on the internet states that vehicles may not be equipped as a package states. 20+ years in the armed forces with a security clearance above secret and my integrity was questioned because I asked where this disclaimer was in the dealership other than on the internet. This guy soured an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Anyway, we lost that battle but did cannibalize our legacy fireplace from the trade in 07 Monty so we'll chalk this one up to a lessons learned about reading the FINE PRINT on the internet as well because the contract seems not to cover it all these days.

Second, the flat panel TV in the living room uses a three-lead RGB input from the receiver instead of the standard yellow video cable. When we tested the TV using a DVD during PDU we failed to notice the lack of red color on the screen until our shake down trip last night. Thought "IRON MAN" looked odd. Replaced the cable and all is well but pay attention to the colors.

Third, our commode leaked as son as it was sat upon. We chacked the flush and seals during PDU but never sat on it and the joint between the bowl and interconnecting pedestal was not seated properly. Tightening the clamp connecting the two seems to have fixed the leak but maybe another thing to look at during PDI.

Finally, we checked the microwave during PDI and the convection worked as did the microwave but it would not make popcorn. Reading the instructions indicate that a ceramic plate should be used when making popcorn. Do not know yet it we're missing a part for the microwave. Not listed in the parts list but you'd think a button marked popcorn would at least make some kernels cook

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Shucks! Red Iron Man, Popcorn, Cracked Bowl - were you at my last movie theater?

I can now foresee all future PDI's. "Ah! Sir! Will you excuse me while I sit on the pot!"

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The fireplace seems like a raw deal - but the rest sounds pretty minor! Enjoy that new rig!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks for the heads up. i also bought the "09" 3465sa 10th model. please post any other finding with your unit. did the "packages" match on all other stated items in that package on your unit? hope all goes well!
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
ps: we didn't take delivery yet
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

thanks for the heads up. i also bought the "09" 3465sa 10th model. please post any other finding with your unit. did the "packages" match on all other stated items in that package on your unit? hope all goes well!
Swanny, so far everything was as advertised. I plan on getting a build sheet to verify but I did see the the PDI tech's build sheet and everything I saw matched Keystone's package data.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I will have to add these items to the lists I sent you. Always something to watch out for. Good luck with your unit.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote