Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Furnace noise

We have a 09 3605RL and recently have started using the furnace. The furnace starts and runs properly, with the exception of a bang that occurs about 2 min into the operation. The fan starts and then ignition and about 1-2 min later there is a "bang" that sounds like someone has hit the bottom of a #3 washtub with a wooden spoon. I contacted the selling dealer and he told me that he was "2weeks out" in schedule and that any dealer could work with the Suburban furnace. Upon contacting a closer dealer, the service person listened to me and told me that what he thought the sound could be was something to do with the ducting heating and expanding, and that if that was the case, that Suburban wouldn't cover repairs under warranty. I must add that neither dealer actually heard the noise because we didn't take the monty to them to diagnose.
Has anyone else had this noise and if so, what was the corrective action. Thanks in advance.

stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Our duct under the kitchen "bangs" during cool down. Maybe not as loud as yours, but definately duct.

I've never really found a fix. Everytime the furnace stops I just lay there awake waiting for the "bang" before trying to fall back asleep.

I'll have to try and fix it someday. Nearly impossible to get to from underneath, so I may try some stiffening by accessing through the floor vents.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
My Mountianeer does the same as bsmeaton, make banging noise as it cools. It sounds like the metal duct is expanding againsst a fixed point putting stress into duct (could be when heating or cooling) and as it changes (heats or cools) it flexes as the stress is invoked or released. We have learned to live with it.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Thanks for your reply. I thought that I was going to have to tear out the kitchen cabinets to get to the ducting to repair the problem. At first I thought that maybe the furnace had been adjusted improperly and there was some small explosion of extra propane, but the more I listened, I knew that couldn't have been the problem.
Now, as I've used the furnace more and more through the night (the temps have fallen dramatically) the duct noise has gone away. Maybe it is becasue the duct never gets a chance to completely cool down.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Yep, we also get those bangs , a couple of them in fact, at the beginning of the furnace cycle and again at the end, after the furnace turns off and begins the cooling process. The first time we heard it, we were set up miles from civilization and in the midst of bear territory. We were sure a bear was trying to get in for food (too many memories of family camping trips to Yellowstone in the late 40's and early 50's). We're used to those bangs now, although they still startle us if we're not quite asleep.
Carolyn & Wayne
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Gang,
Do I understand that the three of you and I are going to have to live with this problem? I am going to have the nearest Montana dealer in Las Vegas,(As we go through there) to address this and see what they can do for me. That will be in a about a week. Once the remedy has been affected, I'll post it here. It would seem that the Keystone people would have some sort of recall to fix any and all of the units that are experiencing this noise.
Thanks to all whom have replied to my question. :-)
Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If the noise is as has been described caused by heating and cooling of the ducting, I don't believe there's a technician in the world who can fix the expansion of the metal when being heated and then contracting as the metal cools. Short of tearing and replacing the ducting with something non-metallic, I think I'd be able to live with it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Orv,
Are you saying that this isn't a real problem. I don't want to seem ungrateful for the replies here, nor of the many hours of work in the design and build of this product, but our first 5er, although a SOB, never had this noise. The ducting under the floor of the living room seems to be made of some plastic material. I had to remove the grill to clean up after the grandkids stopped to drop some of their Goldfish crackers through the grill. ;-0
Old 10-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stimpy123

Gang,
Do I understand that the three of you and I are going to have to live with this problem?
I don't think that's what I said. I don't have to live with any problem from Keystone, I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Besides I like my work better than theirs, so I prefer to fix what I can by myself.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I wonder if if the dealer in Las Vegas knows what a furnace is? g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Now that is funny, about the furnace in Las Vegas.
I can fully understand what is mentioned about "doing your own repairs". I only have a limited supply of tools, and most RV parks don't allow for RV maintenance. I unfortunaltely have to rely upon the factory expert to address the issues. Same is true with my Chev truck. I have no specialized equipment to troubleshoot and then identify trouble in order to affect repairs.
Thanks again for all your helpful input to my request.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We call that 'oil canning' it is caused by them using thin metal in the furnace plenum construction and associated ductwork, it doesn't happen with heavier gage metal, and when cross braking the metal to add stiffness.
But, we have the old 'lowest bidder' and the cheapest way of sending units out the door. Sometimes, if it is doing it in a place you can get to, you can screw an angle iron, or aluminum, to the metal to stiffen it up.
When my furnace first started up, there was some wire insulation, or plastic from somewhere during assembly in the furnace that stunk real bad, I tore the thing apart and didn't find any wires touching. It went away after a while.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
What Ozz said about cross-bracing. I went to Home Depot and bought 3' of aluminum angle and cut it in half. I then epoxy glued each piece diagonally across the broadside of the furnace. Solved our noise problem.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Mike,
How did you "get to" the furnace? Mine has a cover on the outside of the rig with 4 screws. Did you have to pull the furnace out of the side of the rig, and if so, how did you disconnect the electrical and propane connections. I haven't taken the cover off, but would look as though there would be little room in which to work.
Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

Not sure on your model - on the 3400 the furnace is accessible by removing the large white plastic panel in the basement that surrounds the water connection center on the street side.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
I'll take a look. Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have a 3400RL, and as Brad said, it is behind the basement cover. Open the barn doors on the street side, and while looking in, move your eyes to the right. Here, you will find a "wall". This wall is actually just a 1/4 inch piece of paneling. Look for the black screw handles - turn these and you can remove the paneling and you will see the furnace.

The cross bracing really helped. Before removing the furnace to replace the circuit board, we didn't have any noise. I had to remove the furnace (cutting the 12v wires and disconnecting the propane) to replace the circuit board and replace the ignitor. What a pain in a 2006 3400! Like many other posters in this thread, I am NOT amenable to anticipating the heat up and cool down thumps in the furnace, especially when trying to sleep.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Thanks, I looked earlier, and saw the wall you described, mine comes out by removing six or eight screws. I believe that I can fix this trouble, using the suggestions posted here. How would I file a complaint with Keystone about this on behalf of all of us? It would seem that we have a case that should be addressed by their design team. Mind you, I don't care to stir up trouble, but if there are as many on this forum that have experienced this trouble, I believe that it should be brought to the attention of the Keystone people.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just saw this on an 08 Big Sky - what a great idea for that wall if you take it out Steve. It's just a sewer hose compartment lid mounted vertically.

Keystone installed this to access the water filter as shown, but it makes a great inspection and repair hatch for the docking station without having to pull that whole dang wall out. Realistically you could replace fitting and valves, even the water pump, through this door. The furnace was a little too far away to reach to do anything.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
what a great idea
I completely agree with you about the door. I wondered how I would install a more permanent water filter also, and this shows me how.
Thanks so much. This is THE reason that I subscribed to this forum. There is so much "give and take" of both information and ideas.