Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
srandall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7605
Water Pressure

I am posting our second problem from our two weeks trip and hope to get some insight to our lack of water pressure or lack of water totally.

We spent nights using water directly hooked into the city water connection and all of a sudden we would have little and then no water. We checked the connection outside and even disconnected it to see it the trouble was them and not us. But there was water.

This happened off and on and we ended up going to Camping World in Nashville to buy a new water regulator with a gauge to check the pressure even though we bought a new one prio to leaving (without a gauge) We did find the pressure was running around 20 PSI but thought we should at least get some type of water.

We ended up filling up the tank and using the pump

Any suggesions on city water connections?

Thanks

srandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Here's what I found to be the biggest culprit to low water pressure. If you happen to be using a ceramic filter, it will plug fairly rapidly. The ceramic filter should be used in tandem with a filter that first filters out particles in the water. However, since I don't know what kind of hook-up you have, that may not be your problem.

I know others have stated that they had low water pressure, but in our almost eight years of full timing, we have never encountered low water pressure except when we only used one filter that filtered out unwanted things from the purification of the water.

There will be others who will share in this post also, I'm sure.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
20 psi is feeble water pressure. You will be very low in the camper with that kind of pressure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We use the water at the camp grds only for all but drinking so you filter is not letting enough water in 20 psi is no presuer at all as most cities run at 40 to 60 psi if you want to use the shower ,,
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Rich & John. During the winter with a full park in FL, we run 32 psi into our 3400. Anything less would be virtually non-functional.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Whatever the reason for the problem, you came up with a good solution that many might not think about. Filling the tank and using the pump is great problem solving albeit temporary.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Before you can do anything else you must first find what kind of water pressure you are getting from the park itself. I have been in a few parks that had less than 35 PSI of pressure coming into the rig. Using the fresh water tank and the pump is your only option if the park has low pressure.
Check with a few of your neighbors to see what kind of pressure they are getting.

Before you can do anything else you must first find what kind of water pressure you are getting from the park itself. I have been in a few parks that had less than 35 PSI of pressure coming into the rig. Using the fresh water tank and the pump is your only option if the park has low pressure.
Check with a few of your neighbors to see what kind of pressure they are getting.

BTW-If the park does have low pressure and any of your neighbors are also using water at the same time this alone could cause the water to stop.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We had this problem once. It was caused by the fact that we put on our pressure regulator and the CG already had a regulator on the faucet. Once I removed our regulator no more pressure problems. Both were 40 psi regulators.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree 20 psi is really weak. The standard regulators are set at 40 to 45. But, first, you'll only get that if the park provides at least that much pressure. You might try that new regulator and gauge on the park's connection, prior to your hose, and see if the pressure is still that weak. At least that way you will know whether the park is the problem or something in your hose setup or in your rig is the problem.

A longshot for you is that the city water connection point may have a screen acting as a filter. If that's plugged or partially plugged it will obviously affect your pressure.

Another possibility - pull the side wall off the water connection center, crawl into the basement, and check for kinks in the hoses behind the connection center. While you're there, check all connections for tightness. We had quite a few loose ones with a couple of leaks because of it.

Our experience with those "standard" regulators is one may be ok and the next gives you weak pressure. We finally eschewed those regulators and, like others here, got an adjustable one. We have ours set at 58 psi and in most parks we get that psi or close. I chose 58 because in our 2003 3295RK with the Thetford toilet, that was the highest psi setting that would not shoot water out of the toilet. I think this Montana with the SeaLand toilet could handle higher pressure but we're happy at 58.

You can get an adjustable regulator at Camping World for around $40 or so. They are in the hose and water connection area. It used to be they were not that visible. I found them in cardboard boxes on the bottom shelf. That may have changed. You also can get them at Lowe's and Home Depot. Those are intended for stick home use so also get the adapters so you can connect a water hose to it. Those adapters are in the plumbing area or the water hose area, I forgot which. Ours is from Home Depot. I bought a gauge (without regulator) to put on the Montana's city water connection so I can monitor our pressure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
I purchased the adjustable water regulator from CW for $49 and installed in last weekend. As mentioned in other threads, bring some teflon plumbing tape becaue it does leak. I adjusted the screw to raise the psi up to 59-60 psi. Now the shower acts like a shower!
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
This may sound stupid but could there be a kink in the hose between the camper and the park faucet?
I have seen hoses that have "weak" walls and any twist in the hose seams to cut the flow when you relieve pressure in the line by opening a faucet in the camper.
Just another thing to look for.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote