Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Comments on Montana 3485SA??

This is a great site with lots of useful ideas/hints. We are looking at various 2008 Montana models and the 3485SA looks like a possible fit but would appreciate any comments, views, ideas from current owners with respect to this model and your experiences so far. Thanks in advance.

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
We have a new 3485SA and have had it on the road for two trips thus far. We love the floor plan now that most of our travel is with just my wife and I. Of course the sofa can add 2 more for sleeping, but that is about it. The one A/C unit in the living room does not really provide adequate A/C for the bedroom but we place a fan on the floor at the top of the stairs as well. We have encountered electrical problems (some lights, outlets, and GFIs not working) but that hopefully are just some gremlins that need to be worked out of the system. Great layout, great storage.
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all I should mention we are fulltimers. Have an 07 3485SA and we love it. We have had it since January of 07. This past summer we put over 10,000 miles on it and with the exception of the Mission tires no problems. We are now in Florida, arriving here on Sept 29th of 07. Up to this point in time we have lived in our 3485 for 16 months and not a major problem and darn few minor problems. What minor problems we have had I was able to fix on my own.
I highly recommend any Montana model and in particular the 3485SA. The only other Monty I would consider for our lifestyle would be the 3605SA with the 4th slide.

You won't go wrong with the 3485SA.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
If we were to go out today and buy a new Montana, it would be the 3485SA model.

One of the main attractions for us is the all enclosed bathroom that has "leg" room around the commode.

The other major plus for us is the design of the kitchen. It's a large "U" shape open design separated from the couch area by a counter. It allows for more than one person in it at a time, which our current 3295rk model doesn't.

We've been kicking around the idea of getting a new 5th wheel and the bathroom design was something we really wanted so we were pleased to see a Montana with it.

We had been drooling over the Glendale Titanium as they have the same style bathroom but with two entry doors to it, one from the hall and one from the bedroom. Quite a nice feature, but they are really expensive rigs.

I think when it comes down to it, we are Keystone Montana "lifers".

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Bill Nelson

M.O.C. #8448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by barmar

This is a great site with lots of useful ideas/hints. We are looking at various 2008 Montana models and the 3485SA looks like a possible fit but would appreciate any comments, views, ideas from current owners with respect to this model and your experiences so far. Thanks in advance.
Hi!
We are brand new to this forum. We just bought a 2008 3585SA, 10th Anniversary, with most of the options. We have made 1 4-day trip so far with the next 12-day trip scheduled May 14. This is one beatiful RV. My wife loves the rear kitchen to be out of the way of the grandkids. I had the 5th Airborne air-ride hitch installed, which works great, no slapping at all. So far, we have not dicovered any problems whatsoever.

We had a 2004 Cardinal 29TS for 4 years prior to this one. I had the Trail-Air hitch on that RV, but feel the 5th Airborne works better. The Cardinal had 3 slides with the kitchen on the side. the kids were underfoot when preparing meals. The new Montana should eliminate that.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. The Montanas are well built; better than the Cardinal, in my opinion.

Bill & Peg Nelson
Alger, MI
Bill Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
My only comment is that I wish that I more equity in my 2005 so I could trade for one

Winning the lottery is just around the corner for me!!
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
triplet88822

M.O.C. #8029
Well. I thought I might as well try this posting thing. We are new to camping and we jumped in with both feet and bought the 2008 10th Anniversary 3585SA. We have had it out twice and could not be happier. We love the kitchen, and the spacious living room. The bathroom is great as well!
triplet88822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We own a 2007 3585SA and are very happy with it. However, the 3485 offers something that I wish I had--a desk for my computer. I thought I'd be fine using my laptop on the table, but you know how that goes if you're a computer user, especially if you are a serious user. First you have the laptop and maybe a scrap of paper and a pen on the table. Fine. You close the computer, put it away (probably on the couch for a bit), and set the table for a meal. Afterwards, you put the computer back on the table. Then you add some mail you need to take care of, a couple of bills you need to deal with online, a USB cord for your digital camera, then a couple of jump drives . . . and all of a sudden, you have no table; it's become a messy, horrible desk that never gets cleaned, and you eat your meals while sitting in a recliner! That nice dining table becomes a magnet for any and all stray items that enter the trailer.

On the other hand, the living area of my 3585SA is so spacious and open that I'd hate to give that up just to get a desk. But then, the 3485SA has that nice, big back window . . .

The bottom line is that Montanas are excellent RV's no matter which floor plan you select. We loved our old Cardinal, especially the floor plan, but when we started looking for a new rig last year, the quality of the Montanas was apparent at first glance.

My advice is the same as what somer other MOCers have suggested: Play house in the rig you think you want. See how convenient cabinets, seating, etc., are. What works for you is what you should buy. Have fun!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carolyn, in our 3585SA we have a computer desk. It is small but do-able for a laptop. It is located below the counter top in the cabinet facing the living room. The tray pulls out to fit the laptop then the space below you can fit printer or other things..then you have the counter top if more space is needed. You dont have this?
Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Kathy, we do have the pull-out tray there, but it hits me about chin level! Do you have a tall chair to use, or does the tray do something else I don't know about? I'm not especially short (5' 6"), but that tray is not at a good height for me.

Carolyn
Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carolyn, I am 5'7 and mine works fine. I just use one of the kitchen chairs. The tray just slides out. Do you maybe have a lower cabinet by chance?
Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Kathy, maybe it's me because my countertop seems to be the same as my brother's countertop in his 3000RK. That pull-out tray is just too high for comfort. When I use my laptop at the table, the keyboard is about "top of tummy" high. When I use it on that tray, it's a good 3.5 inches higher. I might be able to rig it with some "pull out, push down" arms like my computer desk at work. Nah--too much work. Think I'll stick with the table!

Carolyn
Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carolyn, maybe you could lower the pull out so it is more comfortable and works better for you.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
I love my 3485sa. The only problem I have is the cheap shower insert in these units. I'm on my second replacement and now realize that they are all not up to par. My shower will not fit flush to the walls. My dealership put more rivots in and now it looks rediculous. It's flush now but just looks like crap. Other than that, It's great. We are part timers right now in New England. Rosyriz
rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I think that lowering the tray and removing that big front edge on it would definitely help. While we still have carpenters here working on the new house, I'm going to have one come how much work would be involved in redoing that tray. All of our tools are in storage, so a do-it-yourself project is not possible at this time!
Carolyn