Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #21
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I also go through National Interstate.
I have the camper and the truck insured through them.
They were very reasonable in my case. They were less expensive and better coverage than my auto insurance. (plus they are one of the few that would cover my semi as a tow vehicle)
Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #22
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
I am so glad I read this great sharing of information. I have been pulling some type of trailer since 1999 and have always just included my trailers with the auto's. I called my agent today, who also sales Progressive, $513 per year with all the bells, a little more on emergency lodging etc. National Interstate was $526 per year and GMAC was crazy high, $596 per half !! The information you get on this site, is absoulutly great. Thanks to all of you for the input. Remember knowledge is power. Now all we have to do is get these fuel prices down !!
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Great info, I have my policy with Farmers, with my house and other cars. Think I will shop around. Does the RV policy include towing, RV and or Truck, or do you need a separate policy?
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
I have doing a lot of research on this topic since I started this question. I met with my homeowner insurance agent yesterday and they also cover all of my vehicles. My insurance is through Farm Bureau, but they go through American Modern for the RV Insurance. Anyone heard of American Modern? Their cost is $593 for a higher agreed upon insured value, disappearing deductible - 500 deductible to start with, 500,000 liability, reasonable value on personal belongings, 25,000 emergency expenses, etc. I think that Progressive was close but the liability was lower and the agreed upon insured value was lower. Was going to call to get a new quote to compare with American Modern.

Robb
robbsteinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Hi Guys,
Take a look at my coverage advise on page 1 of this thread. It outlines the differences between an auto policy and an RV policy. The main things I am interested in securing for my customers are:
1. Replacement cost coverage on the RV
2. Unlimited towing...who knows where we might be when we break down
3. Contents specific to the RV...rather than using the homeowners insurance which will contain a 2nd deductible and in most states, cause your rates to go up.
4. Disappearing deductible....not unique to RV policies but it is in my state.
5. In case of a loss, you deal with an adjuster that deals with RV's...not cars.
6. Emergency expense coverage that pays for motel, etc.

Robb, to answer your question specifically, I use American Modern for my own RV and many clients.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am with American Modern also. My annual premium is $413.00 but I think I opted for lower amounts.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #27
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
I really want to thank Ken for his advice and help with my questions. He is very experienced and knows alot about insurance. I guess at this point, American Modern is the company for me, it may not be to others and there are other insurance oompanies that to do a good job for others. Do your research!

Robb
robbsteinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #28
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
One thing I noticed last year is the difference in prices quoted based upon where your trailer is 'garaged'. Mine is in Manhattan KS (Riley County) and I was quoted over 700 per 6 months by GMAC. Now, if I garaged it (stored it) in Potowattami county (spelling is off I'm sure), which is 10 miles away, the insurance goes down to 580 per 6 months. If it were garaged in Albuquerque NM (In-Laws address), it was something like 460 per 6 months. Hazards, claim history, weather, all bear on it I guess. In any case, the reason I bring this up is just to show how another variable impacts the pricing of our insurance. As Robb says - Do your research!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msieger

Yikes, I just did the online quote thing with Progressive. they quoted me 840 a year and thats with no accidents, tickets, or for that matter I've never had a claim period. How are you all getting quotes for half that?

Mike
Mike, Florissant is a suburb of St. Louis, isn't it? Likely you have higher rates because of the big city. Our official residence is South Dakota, third lowest insurance rates in the nation.

Robb, if you have any doubts about American Modern, call your state Insurance Commissioner's office. They should be able to tell you about complaints relative to other companies, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote