Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Venting questions re: washer/dryer

We are considering a washer/dryer combo, the Spendide 2100XC, is what we are looking at. We have these questions:

1.) Do you have to have the door open during the drying cycle? There is a 1 inch opening at the bottom of the door, is that enough venting?

2.) Do you have to have a roof vent open during the drying cycle? If you do, what do you do during the really cold weather, suck in cold air??

3.) Has anyone ever cut part of the solid door out and put in a vent/louvers in a small area at the bottom?

Thanks for ideas and reports on YOUR experiences.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Carol, even though our 2100 is not an XC, I think this applies to both.
1: We usually have the door shut when the machine is running unless Patti wants to see if the end cycle light is blinking.
2: We do not open any roof vents during operation.
3: No!
The vent to the outside has been more than enough to allow any heat to escape and not needing any other ventilation.
To install ours, I had to remove 1 piece of door trim to get the machine in the closet. I did not replace that piece and if I didn't tell anyone about, they would never notice it's missing.
Hope this helped some.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Steve. We do not notice any need to vent extra.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Likewise!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
How interesting is this, we have been told by two owners that Splendide says you ALWAYS have to have a roof vent (or some vent) open during operation!

Me wonders why???

Al will call Splendide.

ON EDIT: Well we found part of the answers on the web site and installation directions, you need 8 square inches of space if the unit is installed in a closet, etc. We have 24 square inches at the bottom of the solid door.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is probably true that if you had a perfectly sealed RV, you would need to have a vent open...but how perfectly is yours sealed? We usually have some amount of vent open, even on the coldest nights, if only to control humidity.

Ours was installed by our dealer, but we see no evidence that the door trim was ever removed, and I think our units have similar washer/dryer closets. You will just have to do what you have to do to get it in, but it may not require removing trim. They are very heavy, make sure to organize some help if you are going to do it yourself.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
At this point, we are not considering a self install! Al says he is not sure he wants to cart that heavy thing in, and not sure I have enough strength to help.

But, thanks for input on this.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We agree with all of the above and you will immediately really like it. We didn't always like the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in campground laundries and the in town laundramats many times were not clean or in lousy parts of town. Also, the cost of the unit will be repaid quickly because of not paying a lot per load. Just wash a small load regularly (we do almost daily) and go on about your business. You can do anything you wish while it is working and not be tied to the laundramat.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol,
Believe me the two of you are not strong enough for this job. Ed had 2 guys help him and one was a 6'4" hunk. The three of them struggled with it. But I agree with Carol & Jim, you will love it. Ours is running as I type.
Happy trails........................
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, we are in the research mode. We need to get back to Michigan, fuel expenses, ughhh, ohhh, ya all know how I stand on that!

Then we need to sit a spell and recover a bit, THEN ------

The research however, is good to do now, gathering away.

I came back from the laundryroom here at the park a few weeks ago, I was still feeling VERY poorly, and it was a night mare of a day in the laundry room, and I was not done, and I walked in and said, it is time to re-negotiate this washer/dryer thing!

Anyway, we are doing the research, and I hope to have me a pretty new w/d by next fall??

Then we will have to do some serious reconsideration on what we pack, and what we don't. That is ALWAYS a good thing!

Thanks for the feedback, as usual, GOOD STUFF.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Carol, I love my Splendide 2100XC. I leave my doors open only to see where I am in the wash/dry cycle. Don't leave an extra vent open and don't suck in cold air. This is a great washer/dryer. Hope you get one real soon! Since the campground we are staying at doesn't have it's laundry open at this time of year, it has been a lifesaver for us. The laundromat in town is $5.00 per load. Ugh!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Lordy, $5.00 a load! Oh, now, THAT hurts! GULP!

Hmmm, wonder if I could get lucky on a lottery ticket?? HA HA

Probably not, SIGHHHHH
Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OKKKK, next set of questions:

There is a drip pan option, has anyone installed it??

And, there is a kit to bolt the W/D down to the floor (in front of w/d), has anyone installed that??

These are both sold on the Splendide web site.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have neither and have not missed them. (yet?)
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol, No, no. The drip pan is so shallow that if you did have a leak, it would overflow very quickly. The w/d doesn't leak, the only leak I could foresee is the hoses and if you check them once in a while, you are okay. This unit is so heavy it is not going anywhere!
Happy trails....................
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
What Parrothead said. We do have the drip pan. I've "leaked" once. I forgot to dump my gray tank, and overflowed. I was here and caught it quick. That drip pan did squat. Forget the bolt to bolt it to the floor. That machine ain't movin!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
ALRIGHT!

You done convinced us! HA HA. We figured pretty much, but, as usual, the feed back from MOCers is more valuable input than something some idiot salesman will tell you at CW and other places!

THANKS
Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #18
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
I think your comment about CW employees being "idiots" was uncalled for. Did you know that many of them are "full timers" that work part time and have an lot of experience/knowledge about RV's and their systems?

I would share my experience with my installation of a Splendide Ariston stackable washer & dryer, but I think I won't.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Larry,

No offense intended, but, sadly, we have heard some stories and we have also had some interaction with CW employees that were less than fulfilling. That said, it was uncalled for comment, and yes, we have had some great people help us at CW.

I was remembering the story about the W/D installed in the wrong rig (by CW) when I made that comment. That does not make them idiots tho.

Again, my apologies.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #20
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had a 2100 installed when we bought our 2955. So far we find it works very well and sure beats laundromats. Ours is in the cupboard under the bedroom TV. We usually leave the door open to see how far along it is in the cycles. The dealer installed it is quite tight and along way to the bedroom in our 5th wheel to carry something that heavy and worth every cent to get them to install it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote