Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
HELP! What is the Galley tank and where?

My galley monitor light says full. what is it? where is it? We just emptied the grey water and black but we don't know what the galley is and for some reason the sink is filling up with water and won't drain.

osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
The galley tank is underneath the kitchen sink and on the 3400 the handle is between the tires on the driver side. You have 3 handles, black, grey and galley. Good luck
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
I have 2 handles inside the basement. I have the island kitchen so I don't know where the handle would be on the 3280.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The handle usually pokes through the frame member somewhere near the tires, often between them or just in front of them. Probably someone with a 3280RL will come along with specific advice for your model.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
found it! thanks so much. We feel like real greenhorns here. I don't know what we would do without this site. You all are WONDERFUL!!!!! You saved me again. Some day we'll know it all and be able to help others like you guys are helping us.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Don't feel bad, I dumped the tanks on our trailer twice before I read a post on this forum. Ours just hadn't topped out yet.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
fjldhp

M.O.C. #7945
I sure wish someone would tell me where my drain is on my mtn 329rlt. I've looked and looked and still can't find it.
fjldhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
If all else fails, call Keystone and ask them where the valve release is for your model. They will know specifically.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I was lucky. The dealer left it open.

I had the slides out the first time I hooked up and my knees would not let me get down to attach the sewer hose. I asked DW to do it and gave her instructions while watching. She asked if there was anything that was going to come out. Of course I said no. She released the sewer cap and got wet. (Hey! what did I know! I'm glad she was under the slide and could not see my big grin holding in my gut laugh!)

Now, I close the galley valve when I dump for the last time so any use of the galley accidentally after dumping will not go into the drain line. When I get to the site I hook up the sewer line and then open and leave open the grey line. Then close it on last dump of the stay. (Hey! I'm the one doing it now and know better!! :-) )

I'm thinking that you will find the handle close to under the sink and coming through the frame of the traler. Walk around doing a real close inspection, looking for a handle, or a hole where the handle is supposed to be. Some travellers have lost the handle in their travels.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I do things a little different. While I am static, I leave the galley tank open so food smells don't become prevalent. I leave the grey closed as this is just shower and bathroom sink. When I dump, I close the galley, open the black to drain, close the black, flush several times, then drain again. When I am sure the black is clean and drained, I open the grey to flush the sewer line, this is usually soapy water and it helps clean the sewer line. I then make sure black and grey are closed and reopen the galley. The galley is the only one I leave open full time. (While static, anyway). Works great for me!!! However, to each his own......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I meant I leave the Galley open. I do it exactly like you do Phil, but I close all on the last dump before moving. If we need to use the galley for any reason, when I open the cap to the drain to put the hoses on, I don't get a shower like my DW did. She taught me well.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is a slight bend in the road on this topic, but if you haven't done it, consider putting a slide valve on the end of your discharge line. They are cheap and can save you from getting a pint-of-surprise when you take the cap off the end.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
So where did the handle end up being located at?

At least it was the gray tank. My son and I walked over to the dump station last fall to find a man and wife fighting and bickering and she was kind of a snip. They had a new Everest with TWO bathrooms and TWO black tanks (rear bunk model) and just returned from boondocking with a bucket full of Cub Scouts. Unfortunately the Dealer never told them it had two black dump valves, and the rear valve had been open the whole trip. He grabbed for the sewer cap, I grabbed my son in a dead run, and we never looked back .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't know guys.. The galley tank collects all the small food waste that gets down there and if dry will collect in the same manner that the black tank would if you left that open. The galley tank can smell almost as bad as the black tank. We leave ours closed and dump when the water backs up into the sink. For us it was a lesson learned after leaving it open and having some bad smells develop.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree with Rich - leaving any tank valve open just promotes dried sediment and eventual tank problems. It would be different if there was a continuous flow of water accross the bottom, but there is not.

Just think of the dried food on the dishes if you leave them overnight. You have to practically chisel it off and if you never allow that gunk to get submerged, it keeps adding a layer each time you use the sink.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Very good point. thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Agree with Brad, we leave all tanks closed even when hooked up to sewer. From time to time I pour a bottle of toilet chemical in the galley drain to help break down and food waste.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #18
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Another suggestion for the new folks - everytime you pull a handle, give it a few clockwise spins first to prevent it from "unscrewing" itself during transit. There have been several folks here report handles coming loose in their hands and presenting a real problem if it's a full black tank with no way to empty it.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote