Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
philbon

M.O.C. #7767
lighting oven pilot lite

Is there any way to light the pilot lite on the oven in the Big Sky other than lying on the floor and reaching over the door and under the shelf? Then my wife turns the knob while I hold the igniter. Why not use the same as for the top burners?

philbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
seems you know the only way to light it.. my wife has learned to do it by herself, which was the ideal solution.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
the Mountaineers are the same set-up. you about have to stand on your head or kneel down in a rather tight space to get that pilot light lit. i use a long handled butane lighter and wave it about in the area of the pilot light, this seems to work best with what we got to work with.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Its just like any piolet lite ,, its a pain in the a--
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I sweetly ask my other half to pray to the oven God...cause that is about what it takes. I am with you.. I wish they had electronic ignition, but I imagine it has something to do with safety.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Betsy and I have been discussing this since we saw our first 3400RL. And I think we have come up with the best way to light the oven pilot light. As soon as we get the Big Sky broke in we will rip out the whole stove and replace it with just a counter top burner system and have two extra large drawers made to replace the over. "Honey, where is the pilot?" Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
For me, the easiest way is to remove the bottom shelf (push in to release the spring), unscrew the wing nut from the deflector plate and lift off the plate. This exposes the pilot light and the thermocouple which you can light from a normal human position. Once lit, replace the pieces in reverse order. It takes longer to explain that to do it and one person can light it without laying on the floor.

Carl (n Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

I am afraid my method is pretty much the same except I pray to the god's of all things combustible that I do not end up flying through the living room slide ..but hey maybe I could take the drawer under the fridge with me on the way ... You know you may be an RK owner when you get the fridge drawer joke.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I went out a bought a mini torch and found that to be much easier it heats up the thermo coupler up real quick and I can do it left handed while the right hold in the button to light.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

seems you know the only way to light it.. my wife has learned to do it by herself, which was the ideal solution.
"Now that's funny thar"
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I'm with Carl n Susan I light mine the same way. Seems to be the easiest way.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:54 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059

As a matter of fact, I dicussed this with the Montana people at Keystone while touring the plant. It seems that there is some kind of propane equipment safety code that will not allow them to use a different valving system that can function with a "sparker lighter". Therfore they are stuck with the current pilot lighting system. This is basically the same as a stick house oven lighting protocol. The big difference being that you leave your oven pilot lit in the stick house.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone's explanation has me scratching my head. The purpose, I guess, of the thermocouple method is that gas is allowed to pass only when there is enough heat at the pilot light to keep the thermocouple warm enough to allow gas to pass. When the pilot goes out, the thermocouple cools and closes off the flow of gas.

Pushing in the knob allows gas to pass so the pilot can be lit. You then have to continue holding in the knob, keeping the gas flowing, until the pilot has heated the thermocouple enough that it opens and allows gas to pass with out the knob override.

It seems to me a system could be devised that changes only the means of ignition, from flame to electronic spark. You'd still have the thermocouple controlling flow of gas. You'd still have to push the knob to temporarily override the thermocouple. You'd still have to hold the knob in until the thermocouple is warm. The only difference is that instead of lying on the floor holding a flame to the pilot orifice you'd stand up and turn a knob or push a button to generate the spark to light the pilot. Then continue holding the temperature knob until the thermocouple is warm.

I'd be willing to bet something like this is already being used in high end rv's.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
My wife has found the best way to light the pilot. "Honey can you please light the pilot for me". Works every time. I hold the switch with one hand and us a lighter with the other, if you look real close you can see the reflection in the bottom of the oven when it lights. I also leave it on when we are in one location.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
The easiest way I've found to light the pilot is to simply light the main oven burner when you want to use the oven, then leave the oven control on pilot on when finished if you want the pilot left on.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #16
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I haven't done it on this unit yet but on my last trailer (TrailManor) we installed our own ignitor. DW picked up a replacement spark kit from Home Depot. There was already a hole in the face plate of the knob control panel (ATwood) that the stick on decal covered. Simply cut the decal, installed the push button ignitor in the hole and ran the line down to the oven. The end of the wire is insulated with a high temp coating. Mounting the spark piece so it was in the proper position was a little tricky but if I could do it.........
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
This thread is really funny. I can just imagine all of us in our different positions trying to get it lit! Oh dear, I needed a good laugh today! My solution is naturally, "Babe, if you light this oven, I'll get dinner going." His solution is usually something like, "I could just cook it on the grill." and I say, "Okay."
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
i like your styly "wifeofdano"! and have found it most successful as well
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote