Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Voltage at outlets

Over the weekend we were running on 30 amp service where we had seen low voltage problems earlier this summer so I was checking the voltage with a digital volt meter at the power box and outlets inside the camper. The voltage at the box was reading 122.5 volts. In the kitchen, GFI outlets appear to be ganged together since the breaker in the panel says GFI but it is not a GFI breaker, the voltage was 122.5 volts. For some reason I checked the voltage at outlets that are not on the GFI breaker and found the voltage to be 2-3 volts lower, 119.3 volts, approximately on all outlets on the receptacle breaker.

Today back at home on a 50 amp service I checked and found the same 2-3 volt difference. I cut other breakers off and nothing changed until I cut the refrigerator off then these outlets went to the same voltage. When I cut the refrigerator back on and after a delay when it switched from gas to AC the voltage dropped. I was able to replicate this every time the refrigerator breaker was cut on & off.

Realizing the GFI breaker and the receptical breaker are on different 50 amp breakers in he camper pannel this makes even less sence.

Is this normal or something I need to have checked out?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
I do not believe that there is a problem with the electrical system. The reason for the voltage drop on the refrigerator leg is because the the refrigerator was turned on. Turn everything on that leg and the refrigerator off and recheck the voltage and it will probably will be the same as the GFI outlets. Another test would be to plug something into one of the GFI outlets and retest with the meter and you will most likely see a drop in voltage on that leg as well.
dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cyrus,

I'm no electrician but 122 -- 119 volts is not a problem. I think you're OK down to between 110 to 115 or so. I don't think you have anything to worry about. We have at least a couple of electricians on the Forum so perhaps they'll give us the correct info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
A 3 volt drop on a 115 volt, 50 amp circuit means a 3 to 4 ohm resistance in the line. This is usually due to a loose connection, probably an inadequately tightened lug on the breaker panel input leg. This not really a serious problem since almost all 110 electrical systems will work without damage at voltages below 110 volts, but over time, the terminal might overheat and further loosen. I would suggest getting an electrician to check the lugs on the breaker panel. He can measure accross them with a voltmeter. A reading above .5 volts indicates a less than optimum connection. The electrician will know what to do.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote