Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
Mission Tires

I have a 2007 3475rl with 2765 miles. One of the tires has a big buldge on the side. I will replace them with Michelin xps all steal radials. I had them on my 2001 which had 50,000 miles when I traded in March. I dought if I get any help from Montana on this but will try.

Richard E. Smith

jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had a similar bulge on a Goodyear Marathon. It may have been a defect or may have been from banging a curb. I'm not sure which.

Montana doesn't warranty the tires. You might see if you can find a Mission dealer. The Goodyear dealer did replace ours. Of all the Mission tires in use by members of this forum, yours is only the second Mission tire I've heard of with a problem. Ours are performing far better than the Goodyears we had on several rigs. So far anyhow. Michelin is always a good choice.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
We got about 7000 miles out of our Missions before problems started in April. Within 500 miles, 3 out of 4 tires had belt separation. The fourth wore badly on the outside edge when I put the new spare on the other end of the axle.

When the belt separates, the tire starts leaking air in multiple places and goes down quickly. We added a Pressure-Pro system over the winter, and I'm certain it paid for itself. It caught every failure before there was any damage.

Replaced all 4 tires with Michelin XPS Rib Light Truck Tires.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, The warranty company for the Mission tires is Tireco, Inc. Their toll free number is 800-937-9433. Two of mine have gone bad and a fellow by the name of Albert, told me to replace them all, send him the receipt and they will cover. I had to buy one in Canada, so I am sending him 5. Two were defective but I am not taking chances on the rest. I went to Les Schwab and they put Tomax on. We'll see if these are any better.

Give Albert a call and explain the sit. He even sent a UPS pick up ticket to retrieve the other five tires direct from Schwab.

Good luck.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
About 15K miles on our mission tires with no problems. They are wearing evenly. We do have a tire pressure monitor system, we do good and frequent tire maint. We do drive at @ 63/65 MPH or within the speed limit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Ditto with what Rich says, we have 15K+ on the Mission tires no problems even tread hardly looks used. We have the 3000RK model which is lighter, also drive 60/65. I check pressures before each trip except daily travel.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Nothing like riding on tires you are not comfortable with on the road. I replaced mine after 5k with Maxxis steel belted 235/85/16E and gained an inch in height and lots of peace of mind. The way I looked at it, was about 750 bucks worth the safety of my family? Do what makes you feel comfortable.
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I agree 100% that piece of mind is worth paying for and anyone not comfortable with the Chinese Missions should get rid of them. I got to handle a Mission unmounted when I first got my Montana because when I got my Monty home, I discovered a leaking plug on one of the Missions indicating that the contract hauler had a flat and never told the dealer or maybe the dealer never told me but whatever the reason, my dealer sent me an unmounted new Mission for free and I was amazed what a flimsy rag that thing felt like. I was able to squeeze both sides of the inner bead touching together using only half of my strength with one hand. I went down to the tire shop and tried that on any LT tire there and no way, Two hands, all out, would not squeeze normal tires together.
Anyway, on my tire guys advice I decided to try them and now have about 10000 miles on them, no wear showing at all and they hold 80 PSI for weeks at a time. I think I will run them a little longer and watch them closely.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've now heard of more problems with the Missions than I'd heard in the past two years. Ours have only 7k miles on them but so far, so good. I do have one wearing on one edge but that's an axle problem.

Brant, the tires wearing on the outside edge are likely because of either a bent axle or an alignment problem with the axle.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
By the time we get home from this trip we will have over 15K miles on the OEM Mission tires and we will replace them before we leave for the winter. I figure by that time we will be close to 20K miles and I would be replacing the rubber no matter what brand they were. The comfort level is most important and that is a good enough reason to replace any OEM componet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
>>Brant, the tires wearing on the outside edge are likely because of either a bent axle or an alignment problem with the axle.

Normally I'd agree with you Steve. However, it didn't start wearing on the edge until I put the "new" spare on the other end of the same axle. It wore to cord within 300 miles. I've been watching the new Michelins closely, and I'm not seeing any unusual wear after about 500 miles. But, I'm still watching........

My theory is it was tire size mismatch. Even tires that are the same size and profile may not be the same circumference once inflated. Add new tread and worn tread to that, and it may be enough to wear the edge. We'll see.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I agree 100% that piece of mind is worth paying for and anyone not comfortable with the Chinese Missions should get rid of them. I got to handle a Mission unmounted when I first got my Montana because when I got my Monty home, I discovered a leaking plug on one of the Missions indicating that the contract hauler had a flat and never told the dealer or maybe the dealer never told me but whatever the reason, my dealer sent me an unmounted new Mission for free and I was amazed what a flimsy rag that thing felt like. I was able to squeeze both sides of the inner bead touching together using only half of my strength with one hand. I went down to the tire shop and tried that on any LT tire there and no way, Two hands, all out, would not squeeze normal tires together.
Anyway, on my tire guys advice I decided to try them and now have about 10000 miles on them, no wear showing at all and they hold 80 PSI for weeks at a time. I think I will run them a little longer and watch them closely.
I think the being flimsy is from the ST rating. From what I have been told, the side walls on the ST tires have the ability to flex more than LT tires. I know it's a different tire, but I bought some bias ply ST tires, and they came in flat as a pancake. Both beads were touching.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brant, if there is a size mismatch then you may well be correct. Or even if there is a load range difference. I once bought a used tire when we blew one out and I didn't want to run without a spare. The Montana came with load range D (yes, on one of the heavier Montanas and the tire was of a size to be within rating). The used tire was an E load range. Later I had an appt at the keystone service center and asked them to check the axle since I was wearing both tires badly. They pointed out the mismatched tires threw the axle out of alignment. The body shop that realigned the axle agreed mismatched tires on trailer axles can do that. I matched tires after the realignment and had no further problems. We'd had no tire problems prior to the load range mismatch, either. This is just my observations. I'm not a tire expert.