Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
What's your opinion ?????

I just found out today that Keystone is supposed to change the manual awning on the Montana to the Electric Awning that is on the Big Sky. I like the BS awning, and after 10 days at the beach it worked fine. Istill like the idea of being able to anchor the manual awning down, but with the elec, all you have to do is roll it up if you go somewhere, and roll it out when you get back. I need to call Mike Spencer next week, so let me pass on some opinions.... Kerry

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Had ours installed on the Montana after finding out we would need a ladder to set up the standard awning on the 3400. I had it ordered before we even took the Monty home from the Dealer and installed a month later.

Works perfect for us. We have 2 automatics on the house, so we are used to them - both the pros and cons.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I hope the manual remains an option for people like me that don't want to pay extra for the automatic.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Had I given the automatic a serious thought I would have ordered it on the new rig. We don't do the tacky lights and hang very little else from the awning. Being able to put it up and down with the push of a button would be great. If for any resaon our awning ever needs replacing you can bet it will be the automatic.

One question, can the awning be put how just part way?? Where we are now there is a tree limb about 8 feet away preventing me from using my awning. If I were paying closer attention when pulling in I could have evry easily adjusted for it. It was too late to bother after I had the TV pulled out from under and discovered the tree limb.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I would like the option of either an automatic awning or a manual awning on the Montana brand. One of the best things about the Montana brand is the value you get for your money. If Keystone keeps adding luxury features the price will go up accordingly. If you want more / better features than Big Sky is the brand you want.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are pros and cons for both.. however anytime I can push a button and it happens we are for it.We would defiantly go with the auto awning. I do not understand Keystones thinking...IF they will offer as OEM or options the "extra" stuff that is on the Big Sky then why the big Sky.. That is essentially what happened the last time they made the big sky??????I guess we just can't see the "big picture"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glenn,

Yes - the awning can be stopped anywhere inbetween and it works the same (tensioner tight at all positions). I have run it partially out at rest stops where the guy parked next too us was too close to fully extend the awning. Made him a little nervous when I started running it out .

Also - Keystone uses the Carefree Travlr. The Travlr power arms work on your existing A&E roller and fabric. For those wanting to convert, you can save a little money by just getting the A&E power arms and retaining your existing fabric, tube, and awning rail. Works just the same. That's how we did it, as our awning was brand new and seemed a waste not use some of it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Brad, if you don't don't mind my asking - how much was just the power arms? would that be a DIY task? or still need professional installation?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Call me old-school, I guess, but I prefer the good old manual ones where I can hang lights and wind chimes to disturb all neighbors. Okay, I am just kidding about disturbing the neighbors (we turn lights off and take down wind chimes at night), DW hangs other miscellany from the ends of the awning as well, and for extended stays even has hanging flower gardens that she attaches. On the bright side though, I guess all the added weight in addition to the tie-down straps minimizes the wind effect (at least I convince myself of this). As others have stated before, this is only my opinion and is not meant to influence any others or contribute to argumentative threads. Although a good argument now and then is healthy!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I like ours but last week we had a gust of wind that pushed the awning arms closed and had a hard time getting it rolled up as the wind kept trying to push it against the trailer when closing. Finally got it closed with out damage.

With the automatic you can't lower one end to let the rain drain off but it did not pool and sag when we had some rain. Also I don't think it goes out as far as the old style. Did not measure but looks that way. If you want to hang things from the leading edge you will need a ladder to get them up and down. You can hang items from the side rails.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Personally we like the old ones. We sometime hang those "tacky" lights. I think we can get more shade out of ours as we can tip it down more. Of course we have to watch our heads.
One end of ours is always lower to let the rain drain in case it rains.
This would just be another thing that could have problems.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I kind of like the manual awning...that way I can fix it exactly the way I want it. Plus, the auto awning sounds like something else to break.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
We've never had an automatic awning, but like the manual one because it can be lowered to put on the lights. But not the "tacky" ones; we don't like those either!
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
uhmmmm, tacky lights, wonder where I could get some of them ? lol, just kidding again, I already got lights the rope kind. At my age I need all the light I can get. Love the manual awnings, but one day I might have an electric on my next monty. there were 2 montys here that had the electric and they looked pretty cool coming out.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Thanks for all the input, the power awning isn't a done deal on the Montana's yet. I'll keep passing on your thoughts to my factory rep. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #16
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
For those who do like the tacky lights here's where to find them:
http://www.offthedeepend.com/c-3-novelty-lights.aspx
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
VanMan, those are definitely some VERY tacky lights!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I do like the ease of the automatic awnings, and there auto retract when the winds come up BUT,
We prefer to manual awning for several reasons, 1 I can put the sun screen on for more shading, 2 I also have the globe lights which act as patio lights at night, 3 being able to change the angle of pitch on the roof line.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since you asked for opinions.... I sure wouldn't mind having the electric awning. When we put out the manual awning and plan to be in a place for awhile we do stake it down. But I do so because it's such a pain to retract and extend, retract and extend. If we had an electric, I'd just hit the button when we want it extended and again when we're done. The only time I'd probably miss the manual is when it's raining and just windy enough I wouldn't want an awning extended without being staked down. But I'd probably opt for the electric, given the choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote