Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Good Idea

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I had not seen it. I recently found out that you can plug a two prong flasher unit into the fifth wheel cord it will make all the running lights flash. This would make it very easy for an emergency unit to find your RV pretty quick at night. It goes into the top two slots on the plug that goes to the truck. I also showed my wife how to do it.

I thought this would be useful, although I hope we never have to use it for us.

Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
It has been posted before.........but sure doesn't hurt to post again for the people who didn't see it last time.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I did not know about this so thanks for the post!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
we are from bonita springs ,fl but where the heck is keystone heights fl
john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I wired a shorting plug to tie into the umbilical that turns on the running lights when I'm parked on a street.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Here is what one looks like in the store....

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
OK, I'll bite -- how does putting a flasher in the cord end 'turn on' the lights. I thought they got their power from the Tow Vehicle!

The hot lead from the tow vehicle goes to the Battery but I don't know of any cross connection where that battery power goes to the running lights, brake lights, etc.... Puzzled I am?????
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sky pilot,

You use that same hot lead to the batteries to power the flasher (12V available at the ambilical cord.

You can get fancy and have the running lights come on with a jumper, flash with a jumper and flasher, or even have the brake lights flash with a flasher and split jumper for the two rear brake lights.

All of the ambilical cord wiring runs down the inside front cabinet by the batteries, so if you want to wire in something more permanent with switches, you can do it there instead of building a box to plug in.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can understand using the flasher when it is important for a particular rig to be located, but PLEASE do not turn those flashers on as a matter of course and leave them on all night. We were in a park once where someone left those lights flashing all night, every night. Very annoying when trying to go to sleep and despite the shades the light flashes through.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Steve: Of course this was the same guy who left his awning lights and scare lights on all night?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Darn, at our usual site there's no park lighting so after dark the only light is what the RV supplies. I have awning lights dangling, solar lights marking our path and rope lights glowing... NORAD thought there was a missile launch from my campsite
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #12
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Sailer,

Keystone Heights is half way between nowhere and someplace. lol.

It is right on SR100 that runs from Lake City down to Bunnell. Keystone is between Starke and Palatka. Very small bump in the road, one traffic light but many, many lakes in the area.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I can understand using the flasher when it is important for a particular rig to be located, but PLEASE do not turn those flashers on as a matter of course and leave them on all night. We were in a park once where someone left those lights flashing all night, every night. Very annoying when trying to go to sleep and despite the shades the light flashes through.
I gotta go along with Steve on this one.
To me, other than barking dogs and partyers, there is nothing more annoying than the scare lights or flashing lights on an RV when we are trying to sleep. Folks that do that are being inconsiderate of the others around them.
Having the lights flashing when sitting along the road after your TV had to be towed in for a problem, such as Ozz's case in Missouri, is a great idea but having them flash at night just for the sake of flashing is an annoyance to others.
Even an over abundance of lights such as the tacky lights on your awning or rope lights completely surrounding your rig can also be annoying to those set up next to you. Also, talk to any CG owner, this all night lighting practice is part of the reason for the rate increase in sites costs as it does run up their electric bills. Even if your lights are 12V it still takes 110V to recharge the rigs battery.
Right now we are in a CG that has little campground lighting. If you intend to be coming back to your rig in the dark leaving a light on to find your way is acceptable but lighting up the entire area is not. I for one like to sit out at night and enjoy the peace and quiet and most of all the darkness. Having my neighbor lighting up the night sky, to me, is very inconsiderate and totally unnecessary.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Right on, Glenn!
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have moved to another CG since my last reply and once again we are in a CG with hardly any outside lighting. The RVs in the park, with the exception of the light by the door, are also without outside lighting. They even turned off that single light once they were inside. We went to the bonfire last night and returned to our Monty in the dark. I always carry a tiny flashlight in my pocket. I used that flashlight to find our way back and also to light up the keyhole in order to unlock the door. Got in the trailer and had to turn on a light as it was pitch black inside. Without all those outside lights I fell right to sleep and slept through the night. This is my kind of camping.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Glenn: Sounds like you would have enjoyed my last looonngg 'camping' trip (wasn't with Montana though - Desert Storm, 4.5 months of blackout drive, no lights at night, it is amazing what you can see at night without lights!! However, that was many years ago and these ole eyes have aged -- I now have to use a small flashlight as well; it amazes me though at the number of people who drive around with the BRIGHT lites on (emphasis intended)in the camp ground.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
My pet peeve is people who use their headlights inside the campground when the running lights and idle speeds will safely not disturb others.

We also found that the cheap solar lighting works real well to be able to see that toe-stubbing entrance step.

The flasher sounds like a great idea for emergency purposes. I'm still not sure where and how you plug it in.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote