Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Fantastic fans

Do they put Fantastic fans in the vent by the shower as a factory installation

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I believe that if you order your unit, you can specify where you want the FF. We had ours put in the bathroom/shower area vent, because in our layout, we think that is where it does the most good. The drawback (there is always a drawback) is that the kitchen roof vent is hard to reach, but we find that a length of 1/2 inch PVC pipe works well to operate the vent handle.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Add a FF in both positions. Wish I had, plan on adding one in the bedroom with wireless remote in the future.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
We have 2 FF, one in the kitchen and then we had one put in the bedroom by the shower. Glad we did it and the cost isn't that much. I think you'll be happy. They put the controls right by the bed so they're easy to reach.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I also have two FF one Bath area other in Kitchen. I also have an extra Max air cover which is just gathering dust in my garage. I know that for the FF set up that they make a special cover which would allow the FF to open wider, but what difference would it make if only opened half way?? The FF in bath area is hand operated anyway and I know I dont open it up completely, so why would I need to purchase the special cover?? Pros and cons please.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If you don't select the specific vent location for the Fantastic Fan option, it goes in the Kitchen or center area. This is a good start as the vent they provide has remote control.

You can specify your location, or add multiple locations including the bathroom, bedroom, and hall by shower (based on the model).

Our factory Fantastic fan came with the smoke cover. I added one with the thermal smoke cover (dual layer) in the bathroom. First thing I noticed is the smoke cover almost elimates the natural lighting in there. Keep that in mind when you order from the factory. You can change out the vent lids to whatever you desire after the fact.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I had Keystone install the OEM Fantastic Fan in the kitchen ceiling area as that is the high point in our rig and I felt that would be the best place for exhausting hot air from the rig in summer time. I bought another Fantastic Fan with manual controls that allow it to either pull air in or exhaust it out. I had this installed in the vent next to the shower so that we can exhaust moist air when we are showering in the morning and bring cool air into the bedroom at night.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I installed my second vent myself. It doesn't take too long and the reward is well worth the effort.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
It came with 2 FFs I asked for one by the shower and they put in the toilet room and I have asked them to move to where it was supposed to be and put a vent and a small fan in its place and one is in the Kitchen. They tried to tell me that Montana doesn't put them in that vent and I used less than polite terms to tell them they where not correct.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We did add one to the bathroom - the plan all along. However, if I had to do it over again, I would have put it in the hall next to the shower. The FF is too powerful for the bathroom and doesn't get enough airflow under the door when it's closed. With the door closed it slows down the fan. Also, if you are in there doing your duty, it passes your nose on it's way out, as that fan really creates an airflow from the door to the roof and there is no escape.

Just some thoughts.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

We did add one to the bathroom - the plan all along. However, if I had to do it over again, I would have put it in the hall next to the shower. The FF is too powerful for the bathroom and doesn't get enough airflow under the door when it's closed. With the door closed it slows down the fan. Also, if you are in there doing your duty, it passes your nose on it's way out, as that fan really creates an airflow from the door to the roof and there is no escape.

Just some thoughts.
LOL. Couldn't help laughing when I read your post. It is better for "it" to pass the nose of the duty do'er on the way out, than for it to pass the nose of innocents in the remainder of the RV. LOL
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The dealer is going to see if Montana will pay for the change of the ff and the vent in the stool room. ( as montana calls it) as they feel it is a factory mistake if not I guess I will have to get it done.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Since we purchased our Montana in 2000, we've had three Fantastic Fans installed; the latest one was this week--in the bathroom. Sure does move the air!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #14
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
i talked to Mike Gabba this morning about moving the fantastic fan to the shower area from the toilet and he checked the build sheet and the factory installed in the wrong place so they will pick up the bill for moving it and a small fan vent for the toilet room. This good customer service to make things right, we are very pleased. It seems they have the same policies that Nash have of making the product properly and correcting their mistakes.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
Wow, interesting conversation here. I also had a FF fan installed in the hall but at the same time requested Maxair covers installed on all roof vents except the kitchen ceiling. I really enjoy leaving the fan covers open during storage. Well, after I picked up the Monte, I removed a tag from the hall FF fan which said DO NOT install a Maxair type cover due to reduced air flow and additional noise.. The tag is correct. I wonder what was going through the dealer's mind when they installed the fan and cover?? Anyone need an extra Maxair cover?
bosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge came with two Fantastic Fans, they both are remote control and have the smoke covered covers. We don't use the MaxxAir covers because when we had them on the Everest it prevented the FF to fully open. When we are at Home Base we are covered by 40' x 50' cover and when not using the A/C the FF are always open or running. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
RonS, the only drawback I can see is it would seriously reduce the volume of airflow of the FF. If you can live with that then I'd say do it. Others have done as you are contemplating. We got the big cover intended for high volume fans. Even so, the lid only opens maybe 3/4 of the way but being able to use it in all kinds of weather is worth the slight reduction in volume to us.

Placement. When we ordered this Montana last July we were given a choice of which vent to install the FF. We chose the kitchen because there are times when we need a quick exit for fumes, like onions being cooked, etc. and the hood exhaust just isn't strong enough. It still works decently to draw air from throughout the rig. The bath hall is also a good choice so it just comes down to which better fits your needs.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #18
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Everyone loves these fans but they do make a lot of noise!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bosan, is the maxxair the smaller one that goes over the standard vent cover? If so, I'd agree it's going to cut down on the airflow considerably. There are covers many of us use that are made for high flow fans. I think MaxxAir makes one but I'm not sure. We have the high flow cover over our FF because we want to use it rain or shine. It does reduce volume slightly but there is still plenty enough for us. This might be an option for you.

on edit -- this is the cover we have. It is a maxxair. The url at camping world is http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...13655&src=SRQB

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, thanks for the URL for your fan cover. I am planning on adding a second FF and covers at CW in Burlington. One question is: How does this cover open????

Thanks

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote