Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Caution

We video taped the stuff in our house and put it in a safe deposit box to prove what we had should a fire occur. Never thought about doing that for the Montana. We took our unit to the dealer for some minor warranty work. While there someone got in and took everything they could including our tooth brushes. Now the dealers insurance wants proof that we had that stuff in our unit. It was not a lot of stuff but if we were full timing or long timing it would have been.

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tip, Dennis Sue and I will be documenting the Monte's contents.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

I am really sad about you getting robbed. You're idea is excellent and something I've been doing for several years. Not just for insurance, but to help me remember what the heck was in there. Do it for the boat, and the house.

Wife might think I'm crazy, but I shoot a pic and record model/serial numbers on everything. I use an inventory software.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Dennis, so sorry to hear about this. It's truly a shame that some people just don't understand that if they work hard, they can have nice things, too, instead of stealing from others who have earned what they have. Thank you for sharing as this is something that we had never thought of, either. Rest assured we will take photos and inventory - just in case. Hope the insurance gods smile upon you!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Dennis & Linda

Well that sucks big time.My heart would have sank seeing all my stuff gone.Great tip on videoing taping all the contents.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Excellent advice and welcome. Experience can be a hard teacher. The tuition is cheaper when we learn from others. Thanks for sharing this idea.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dennis,

Sorry to hear about the theft from your coach. I hope your insurance company will make you whole. Thanks for the heads up. Wehave been re-evaluating all our insurance policies of late and need to do an inventory as well.

Brad,

What software are you using to for your inventory?

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lamar,

I use filemaker Pro, primarily because I have used it for 15 years and I can customize it. However, I believe Microsoft Works has a template for one, and there are several off the shelf shareware types available.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
What was the name of the place where you got ripped off so the rest of us can avoid it? Thanks and sorry for your lost.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
One more addition to this idea for those of us who are long-timers or full timers--be sure to save those pictures off site just in case your laptop is among the items stolen. Our stickhouse was robbed several years ago while we were on a long trip. In this case, I had copies of pictures on both the home computer (stolen) and the laptop (with us). And, thanks for the reminder to update these files.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Thanks for the tip. I told DW we needed to take pictures of everything after I read the post. Our unit goes in on the 15th for several warranty issues.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
FYI
There are a couple of templates available at office.microsoft.com for those of you who use Excel or Access. I have all my Michener collection, our DVD's and CD's on Access and have one set up for the stuff we are putting in storage. Once everything is in place in the Monty, I will do one for that as well. I have always made an inventory list of items in suitcases when we go on a cruise on Excel. Taking pictures is good also and you can store them on line. I can put my spreadsheet on my Ipaq so I have it in several places. Don't forget to include the serial number on things that have one.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote