Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Weatherpro Awning/Big Sky

this is a repeat of what I said on another posting but thought it deserves its own subject.

I just realized the new Big Sky comes with a an electric retractable Awning. We have one on our Cambridge and HATE it.
1. It is too flimsey for any but the lightest breezes
2. It is too flimsey to be tied down in stiff wind conditions
3. The automatic retraction system does not (Cannot) react fast enough for a quick gust. Many motorhome owners have seen these things ripped off and crashed into the camper in the process.
4. The dealers don't know how to servic them. Ours has a defect that causes it to wind up of its own accord - breeze or no breeze. It has been to two different dealers and on the ir lots for days with no successful repair. I have spent time on the phone witht the manufacturer to no avail. BTW, it works OK when it is raining out.

I think this design was meant for Class A motorhomes that don't really park and camp. For our part, we frequently set up and stay for a week or two at a time. I used to put out the sturdy old manual awning, tie it down and we were good. Now, I mostly sit in the sun.
This is a produck designer gone amuk
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

You need to dig in and do your homework a little more before directing your opinion towards the Big Sky. The Big Sky has a Carefree Travl'r electric, not an A&E Weatherpro Automatic like your Cambridge. There is a reason Keystone made the change, especially after being traditionally loyal to Dometic A&E for all thier other awning products.

1. You're WeatherPro uses a single lever "knee action" arm with gas shock to absorb gusts, which is far too flimsy to me. The Carefree uses a double scissor arm which is much more sturdy.

2. I do not believe either brand is designed to be tied down like a standard awning, as they do not have the base support arms.

3. Sorry about your automatic retraction system. The Carefree Travl'r is not automatic, just electric.

4. I find the Dealers don't know how to service much of anything, so why stress about the awning. Anything I've ever brought to the Dealer that has a Dometic tag on it gets referred to a Dometic service center anyway.

Electric awnings need to be kept in perspective for thier use. They are not designed to be out for days at a time, hang screen rooms on, or strap down in any permanent type use. Rather, put them out when you want it, and put it away when your done. No awning rods, no levers, no ladders, just push the button.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your WeatherPro. As for the Travl'r installed on the Big Sky, let's hold opinion from those that actually own one.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote