Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Montana_6697

M.O.C. #6697
FIREPLACE AMPS USAGE

We have a 2002 Montana with a fireplace. Love it, but would like to know how many amps it take to run it. Our paperwork doesn't say. We are assistant managers at an RV Park, but have to pay for our electric so we're trying to cut down as much as possible on the usage. We've thought about getting one of the oil filled heaters if it would save on our electric and propane bill. Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks, Angela

Montana_6697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it would be pretty much a push. The oil filled heaters would not have a fan, convection only, if I remember correctly. I would suggest a ceramic heater, puts out more heat for the application. Just use the fireplace without the heater on for the effect.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I looked, but I can't find the wattage in the manual or on the fireplace, but I think it must be 1500 watt heater plus fan and lights, or about 12 to 14 amps.

Whenever you use electricity, the energy is dissipated as heat, even the fan and lights are producing heat. It does not really matter which heater you have, the heat it gives off will be the same watt for watt. The differences in heater types are in the size, noise, and appearance.

I prefer to save the fireplace for when we can view it, and use a fan heater at other times. An oil filled heater would be quieter, but they are also quite bulky and heavier.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I use my fireplace. I don't believe that fan pulls very many amps, Ozz. It has a thermostat and a very quiet and low speed fan. The heater is ceramic. With my ceiling fan on low-reverse, it does a great job of keeping the chill off the LR and dining areas all night. I don't believe it would pull any more than another 1500W heater. Could be wrong, though. Just my impression.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have a 1500 watt convection type heater.It does not have a fan..It draws 9.62 amps at 1500 watts Vs our 1500 watt ceramic heater with a fan that draws 13 amps at 1500 watts. The convection heater is @ 17 inches wide, 5 inches deep and 16 inches off the floor.It does a fair job of keeping the living room area of the 3400 comfortable in moderate temps.We use it to keep the bird warm...If we did not have the bird we would not have the heater..Actually I do not recommend them.but what do I know.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I agree with Ozz. Don't think you will gain anything using one of the oil filled heaters. Both will pull about 1500 watts. The weight of the oil filled heater (about 25#) will only add to the weight of what you are loading into the Montana. If you have to cut back on electric, use your furnace.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This Dimplex insert I put in my 2955RL has two settings. High is 1500 watts and low is 750 watts.
[IMG PLEASE comply with MOC pictue size policy! Thank you. RVWheels http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/Wrenchtraveller/pictures10088.jpg[/IMG]
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'm confused how two different pieces of equipment rated at the same wattage draw different amounts of current. The way to calculate amper draw is to divide the rated wattage by the input voltage. Current draw, represented in the formula I=W/V, for a 1500 watt device is 12.5 Amps provided the input voltage is 120 VAC. Any device using 1500 watts of energy is drawing the same amperage as any other device using 1500 watts.

Now, I've not gone to my heater's owner's manual to see the electrical specifications but the fireplace has lamps, motors, fans as well as a heater. If the fireplace is rated at 1500 watts with all features active then the heater is not a 1500 watt heater but a portion of that 1500 watt rating minus the other component's current draw.

That said, a heater dedicated solely to heat, like an oil heater rated at 1500 watts, SHOULD provide more heat than the fireplace. Of course, there's no device in the oil heater to move the heat around so a fan is required and that fan would draw amps as well negating the gain of the oil heater. Tough call, especially at a site using a 30-amp service connection

Damn, my mission in life seems to be backing Ozz' call!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We tried one of those oil filled heaters and it did not do the job. It would get hot but not heat the trailer. So we took it back. The fireplace is useless to me cause it don't blow out enough heat. The fan is too slow. We use the furnace plus 2 elect. ceramic heater with a fan. Our fireplace has a 1500 watt heater in it. Last month we used 2 tanks of propane plus the elect was $92.00 @.13 kw here in AZ.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think this is the unit that is installed in Montanas (at least in ours, could be different in others). http://www.flametex.net/dimplex/Inse...3003lgview.htm

...and I still believe that consuming 1500 watts of energy yields the same amount of heat, regardless of whether it is used in the heater, fan, lights or anything else.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I think the comfort factor comes into play, if you are moving the 1500 watts of heat into the living space, you will be more comfortable. Some of the fireplace heat is absorbed into the cubby hole, where the free standing heater will 'give it up' to the space. We really like our fireplace heater. You are correct in your observation about yielding the same amount of heat.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I agree with OntMont, if an electric device is actually using 1500 watts of energy the heat output is the same. Electric heating is 100% efficient. All energy is given off as heat. Distributing that heat is different with each type of device, thus the comfort level is a matter of personal comfort.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sort of related to this thread... last year I posted the following regarding the relative cost of propane and electricity. Today being one of those kinds of days, I thought I would re-post it here. (Also, Mrs CountryGuy was asking about it a few days ago).

Repost:
It being an unusually cool Sunday afternoon here in the RGV, I got thinking about the relative costs of electricity and propane for heating.

This is how I have it figured, anyone have any other thoughts?

In our present situation these are our costs:

Electricity: 15 cents per kW/h
Propane: 50 cents per lb.
(both are delivered prices)

1 kW/h = 3,412 BTU
1 lb propane = 21,600 BTU

Therefore 1lb propane is equivalent to 6.33 kW/h of electricity.
and that much electricty would cost us about 95 cents compared to the 50 cents for propane.

Our furnace efficency is not really known to me, but I guessing it is not very high, say in the 50 to 70% range.

If we apply assumed efficiency factors of 0.5, 0.6, and 0.7 to the calculation of the cost of propane, we end up with a propane cost of
50% efficiency: $1.00
60% efficiency: $0.83
70% efficiency: $0.71

I am not very optimistic about our furnace efficiency, therefore it is looking to me like there is very little difference in the cost of heating with electricity or propane.

It is long time since I had to make these kinds of calculations, am I on the right track?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

I think this is the unit that is installed in Montanas (at least in ours, could be different in others). http://www.flametex.net/dimplex/Inserts
/firebox_30/Dimplexef3003lgview.htm

...and I still believe that consuming 1500 watts of energy yields the same amount of heat, regardless of whether it is used in the heater, fan, lights or anything else.
John;

Your response piqued my scientific (if I dare label any thoughts I have as scientific) curiosity. In thinking about what you said, I'd agree with the exception of photons that escape without being absorbed by something. Probably a VERY low percentage of the output of anything we'd use inside the RV.

Come on now- - - I can sense some of you rolling your eyes about my post. Sorry. This kind of thing just interests me.

As a practical matter (to get myself back on subject) it does seem that some heaters, with the same wattage rating as another, do indeed do a better job of heating an RV. With "seem" being the operative word here.

Anyhow - Thanks for making me think John

Regards,

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I know Angela needs and answer, So here goes - It seems with some of the post's propane is a cheaper solution than electricity to produce the heat. If your stationary in that RV park as management. I would suggest a larger 100# propane tank, I believe the propane company sell's it cheaper that size and larger and you wouldn't have to refill a bottle every three days..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Angela, usually propane will cost less watt for watt. We also usean oil filled heater to supplement. My oil heater has three wattage settings, 1500/900/600. Now normally what I do is turn the furnace and the oil on full till the trailer reaches "comfy" level then pull back the furnace and turn down the oil to 900 watt. Because the oil is convection it takes less power to maintain the oil's temperature and keep the room warm. I know others will disagree with me but I used this setup through the winter in Maine and it worked great. Good luck
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
I love this post! I was just wondering this same thing myself and had no way to figure it out..OK so as I understand it, propane verses electic fireplace is pretty much a wash. This will be important as we are about to get 30 degree weather here in the RGV. Thanks everyone!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I had a large electric bill last month ($.13/KW). I started turning 110v applainces on and off while watching the meter going around. I was rather dismayed at the speed my water heater added to that spinning disk. I have switched the WH to strickly propane. Going through 30# tank once every 6-8wks @ $19/fill (I do use propane for other items very occasionally). I have left my fridge on electric, as it didn't seem to be that much of a draw.

I really feel that this is a cheaper utility cost. I use a combination of my furnace and fireplace for cold weather.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 AM   #19
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
Under the same subject, has anyone ever installed a fireplace in their unit, and if so, where was the fireplace purchased? I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer 336RLT w/o a fireplace and would like to put one in to provide extra heat if needed. Under the TV there is a large cabinet space that is unused, and I believe that is where some of the fireplaces are installed.
Also, where is the 120v power coming from. If you have done such modification, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Giddyup!

jpp
PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #20
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Several people have added a fireplace. Do a search and you will alot of info including pictues.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote