Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #21
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Glenn and Lorraine
My sentiments exactly. Now all I have to decide is whether to get the ones from the factory or to get the ones that Brad and Dory suggested and add them after the Monty is delivered.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #22
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We wouldn't be without them either. It's one of those things that once you have it you don't want to be without. Like a dishwasher and garbage disposal

Helen
Don't forget the Microwave!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We never used anything on or under ours and they lasted as long as anyone's. We got a bit over four years out of them. Three to four years is life expectancy on those things. When the water pools on the topper it just pulls more material off the roller. Not a big deal. Right now ours are sitting on the roof of the slide, with about 7 inches of snow on them. The only big deal is being sure to be out of the line of fire when the slides are retracted.

Brad, we've had toppers since January 2001 on our Montanas and have never ever had anything on the roof of the slides. It does definitely stop debris from getting in there. I have to modify my statement. We did once have some hackberry moths take refuge from a storm by getting under the toppers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I understand Steve - and I know you are fulltiming. I don't have toppers and I've also never had to remove any debris from my slides, but I part time.

For me, living in record windy region of 106mph, the downside far outweighs any benefit as I understand it.

JMHO - and I'm sure it would change if I lived in the south or the east.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #25
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
The first time I had to climb up on an icy roof to remove snow from the slides, I added them to my trailer, and when I bought the Monty, I had them included as a factory option. I wouldn't be without mine.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #26
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We bought our Montana previously enjoyed and it came with slide toppers. We like them - a little noisy in the wind, but they sure do keep the water and debris from getting on the slide roofs and we don't clean them off before retracting the slides. Like Steve says, just don't be in the line of fire when retracting. If we would get another Montana, it would have slide toppers.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #27
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
"The only big deal is being sure to be out of the line of fire when the slides are retracted.
"
Is the amusing quote 'cause I keep finding new ways to get dumped on when getting ready to move! The latest is to be raising the front to set hitch height before finishing packing inside. Yep, standing just aft of the bedroom slide to run the front jacks is another wrong place to be.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I understand Steve - and I know you are fulltiming. I don't have toppers and I've also never had to remove any debris from my slides, but I part time.

For me, living in record windy region of 106mph, the downside far outweighs any benefit as I understand it.

JMHO - and I'm sure it would change if I lived in the south or the east.

Brad
Brad, we ordered this Montana with toppers but it came in without them. When they arrived and we took the rig to our dealer's to have them installed, I crawled up on the roof and swept a lot of acorns off the slides.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #29
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'm with Steve and others who have toppers. They're like gutter helmets on a stick house. Pull the slides in and debris, water, ice, and snow goes over the edge and do not come in or affect the slide operation. We like ours, too. Steve's acorns would be about the worst, other than twigs or branches in a wooded (shaded) site! Best Holiday regards to all,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #30
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Just a thought, we have not had the Monty a year yet so we are really new to all of this. But in reading your post about slide toppers and wind I checked out the carefree co. site (we will be there next year). I thought for an insexpensive alternative to use PVC pipe by constructing a bar that goes under the topper with support legs with cross supports on the bottom that sit on top of the slide. Would this not work as an alternative. It is light weight and can be broken down for storage.

Dorothy
(hubby says I keep adding to his honey do list !)
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dorothy, in my opinion that would be a workable solution. I just don't worry about it and prefer not to add more steps to my setup/breakdown routine unless I feel it is necessary. But if one is going to be in one place for an extended period, then your solution would seem to be a good one. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
Shortly after we purchased our 06 336RLT we had a driving rain that caused a leak in the dining room slide and bedroom slide. I purchased three slide toppers the next day and installed them. Never had a leak since. It also beats climbing up on top to sweep the slides before you retract them. So far I only experienced the PROS!

Giddyup!

jpp
PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #33
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I love the one about using sports equipment to keep them from developing puddles, ha... A couple of weeks ago we were having very high winds (45mph+) and raining like the devil soooo, having heard about using a beach ball under the topper next to the door I climbed my skinny self out there in the wind and rain and put it in. HA, within 30 seconds that sucker shot out of there like a shot from a gun. It bounced off the trailer across the road, bounced up in the air about 50 feet and disappeared in the wind. So much for expendable sports equipment...

I just stay in and run the slide in and back out to dump the water, and then go out...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahahha - Jim - you've invented the soccerball cannon!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #35
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jim answered my question, so, I don't have to go out and purchase any beach balls. Gotta say, Jim's description had me laughing right out loud!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM   #36
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Sounds like the soccerball cannon should be a new sporting event at future MOC rallies. Distance and accuracy would surely be a competition event. Who knows, once perfected, a new Olympic sport may be in the offing.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #37
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Is someone making fun of me??? hahahaheehee

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
No, Jim, we're just in total awe of your beach ball ejection prowess!
Old 12-25-2006, 04:08 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the slide toppers are worth the money.Here in Az was our first experience with toppers Vs winds.Woke us up flapping away a couple of nights and they do make somewhat of a racket when the wind is blowing, according to the local weather 20MPh or so..We note no ill effects to the toppers but we are wondering what the life expectancy of them are when exposed to winds on a regular basis.We are told in this part of the country the sun is the primary destroyer of toppers/Awnings/roofs, Etc.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #40
Jim Rose Paschal
Established Member

M.O.C. #2140
I have them and love them. We have replaced both on our 335RLBS TT, cost a couple hundred dollars each takes about 15 minutes to change.
Jim Rose Paschal is offline   Reply With Quote