Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Montana_6332

M.O.C. #6332
New f'er-pdi Fri-what 2 look 4-good bad & ugly

I just bought an 07 Montana-Mountaineer Edition,342PHT. It's for myself, wife and two young (4 & 8) daughters. Doing my pdi Fri. Compiling my list now-using existing list and customizing to fit my needs. This ismy first Montana, what do you think, anything out of the ordinary I should be on the look out for specific to Montana's. What is your opinion of these trailers? Any and all input is great. I look forward to posting my accomplishments and pitfalls, lessons learned and anything else worth sharing. Great board to learn from.

Montana_6332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Welcome Aboard Mr Rogers roadcrew, go to the home page of this site, scroll down to RV Related Links,click on that. Anew page will open, scroll down while looking in the RH column. You will fine a PDI Checklist page. Hope this helps.

On Edit - It's at the top of the RH column.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome Mr Rodgers. I am the same Indy Roadrunner that recommended you to the Montana forum from that "other" forum. I know you will find lots of feedback here from those who have first hand experience with these units. LonnieB - great pictures in your signature but you can edit that person on the right out and leave the person on the left in. Not quite such an eye sore that way.
Back to business. Mr Rodgers we are family over here and our desire is to make your RV'ng experience with Montana the best. So keep asking those questions and let us know how things are coming along.
One thing I recommend on your PDI. Take your time and look beyond the "eye-candy". Make that dealer earn his money.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I know what you mean Indy Roadrunner. That is actually 2 pictures merged into one by the genius on the left. She says we can change it later, I think she just wanted everyone to see the goober thats been spending so much time on this forum,LOL.
You are absolutely correct about the family thing, everyone here has made me feel right at home, and I have learned alot from reading these posts, one thing being the PDI. I thought I had done a very thorough inspection, and asked plenty of questions, until I became a member of this forum. It didn't take long to realize there were alot more things to look at, and alot more questions to ask. Thankfully you guys have showed me what to look for, and answered the questions. So, Mr Rogers along with the PDI page, you may want to go into the archives of this forum and do some reading.
You guys let me know when you're tired of seeing my ugly mug and I'll gladly remove it.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You can download lots of PDI check lists...but if you do the big things you'll be well covered:

- Hook up to shore water, turn everything on and check for leaks...under sinks especially. Then unhook it and try the 12v water pump.
- Hook up to shore power and try all the things electrical...lights, refrig, water heater, A/C, M/W, etc Then unhook it and try 12v power.
- Check all things propane...hot water, stove, oven, refrig, etc.
- Do a thorough walk around (with a notebook) and have them explain EVERYTHING...especially where all the water lines enter the rig on the port side.
- There's plenty more, but you get the idea.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Some folks have had there spouse (or someone) videotape the "how-to" dealer instructions for future reference.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
That sounds interesting VanMan. It would sure remove any daughts as to what was said, or NOT said.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 AM   #8
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Mr_Rogers_Roadcrew,

We purchased the exact same rig in the Spring. First, Print and use the PDI on this forum. It is terrific. Also, since you are buying the same rig, here is what come up on ours during PDI.

(1) Lower tan Aluminum skirts. Check the paint carefully in good light. During our Pre-PDI, it looked great, when we went to pick up the 5th, in bright sun you could see discoloration on one of the rear panels. Part was ordered and will be replaced in a few weeks.
(2) Shower Leaks into basement. I know 2-3 other 342PHT owners on MOC had this same problem. Hook up the water, run the shower and spray around the shower especially the lower seams. Have someone watch under the shower in the basement for leaks.
(3) Slide Circuit breaker. All slides operate on one button . Try opening and closing several times. A bunch of the 342PHTs were delivered with Circuit breaker that to rated to low. When the slides are closing, if they stop mid motion, you have the problem. Release the button for 10 seconds and you will hear the breaker reset and the slides will continue closing. This is a know problem with he 342PHT and a quick dealer fix.
(4) Brake adjustment. Depending on how far you live from the factory, it is likely that before you take delivery of your unit, hundreds if not thousands of miles have been put on the rig already. First brake adjustment may need to be done before you take delivery. When we did our pre-PDI, the dealer tried to tell me setting my integrated brake controller (Ford F350) at 10 to get proper braking from the 5th was normal. This is not. This occurs when the brakes need adjustment. After adjustment, we left the dealer with the controller set at 5.5. Over the 13K miles towed this summer, the setting needed to be increased. Around 10K we were back at 10. After a quick brake adjustment, we were back at 5.5.

Other than that, just watch the bunks, bunkhouse door and pantry doors before sliding the sides in/out. They are real easy to rip off as I think every 342PHT owner has found (and heard... crunch). The only other issue we have had is trying to keep those little chrome hub covers on. We are down to two at this point. The other two are somewhere between Key West and PEI Canada; one Southbound and the other Northbound

Good luck and have fun,

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Montana_6332

M.O.C. #6332
What chrome covers are you refering to? Great stuff - thatnks alot!!
Montana_6332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We have chrome hub caps one our wheels. Maybe these are not standard issue? I you have hubcaps that are not chrome, maybe they change them for 2007 (since the 06 hubs fall off )

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote