Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OOPS!!!!!!!

Well, no matter how careful we are, Murphy has a way of sneaking up on us. Last week, as I was parking the rig in Duluth I pulled into a site across from mine to back up. We use walkie talkies when we back and Cathy was at the back right side of the trailer directing me. Well, I looked to my left and saw a huge geyser, mind you, we had left Yellowstone behind some weeks ago. Come to find out, I backed over the water stand pipe for that site. Knocked off the faucet and put some rather red paint on the truck, which rubbed off.

The owner replaced the faucet and said he might have to dig down to check for a leak. I suggested he put a gauge on it to check for a leak before breaking ground. Had to leave and left him my phone number in case of damages.

I think I got complacent as it was late in the day after driving some distance. It’s sort of like flying, the hardest part of flying is the landing and it always comes at the end of the flight when we may not be 100%. I saw the pipe on the first attempt, but had to pull forward to do it again. I must remember to look on both sides before backing. I’m lucky there was no damage to truck or trailer. Close this time……..

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Phil I hate to hear this. I understand about getting complacent. I tend to do that myself while driving down the highway and have to remind myself how much weight I am pulling at times.
It sounds like you got lucky so take it as a learning experience and I hope the camp owner doesn't find a break below ground.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Phil,
No Worries, we have all done that sort of thing, or are getting ready to do something we wished we hadn't done. A few years ago I made a geyser in a Bend, OR. We stayed one night in Novemember, got up in the morning, no water. So I pumped up a pan of hot water and poored it on the hose bib, geyser.
Enjoy the Road,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
On our way home from the Shasta outing in May/June I watched a guy in a big beautiful class A back straight into the power pedestal! Big POP, Big FLASH, lots of smoke. Sure glad it didn't take out the entire section. Apparently just his site. And the interesting thing is his wife had gotten out and was helping him!?

Didn't leave too much of a dent on his rig. Don't know if the park charged him extra. I suppose insurance would pay for most of the damage.

Can't wait until my turn shows up. Could be any day now!

Travel safely folks.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
Next time you want the undercarriage power washed, try a hose with an adjustable nozzle.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Log in in the mishap section of the log book.

My day will come.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
One of my first trips out with my brand new truck I rubbed up against a site number sign on the passenger side and you can still see the marks when the sunlight is just right. I think all of us will do something like that at sometime or other. I hope it all works out for you.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I was backing my first travel trailer (had just moved up from a pop-up) into my own driveway, and ran over my own mailbox and gas light!

Still haven't lived that one down.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
We all have our OOPS moments.
The first scratch on the truck or trailer is there as a signal to watch out.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I used to be involved in the management of a small private marina. In just one summer we had three different people back out of the slip while the power cord was still attached. In a marina most people wrap them around the post at least once. Yep all three pulled the post right off the dock. $800 a pop and we charged them.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I almost backed over a water spigot once; I was in Pigeon Forge at a park and we had stayed in an overflow area. When we left in order to dump the tanks I had to back into an empty site and hook up to the sewer to dump. Well while trying to back into the site of which I was backing on the blind side I scooted a table for a few feet. The D/W was trying to yell at me to stop but needless to say I couldn’t hear her. I had this gut feeling and decided to atop and check things out so I stopped. When I got out to look things over I then discovered that the table had stopped about 1 & ˝ feet from the water spigot. All in all things were ok no dents or anything but thankful it was only a close call.

Things just have a way of happening!