Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Utility Closet Questions

Of course there is no info in the owner's manual....
Two questions on the outside control or utility compartment of the storage area.
- There is a battery disconnect switch w/ On and Off positions. Does this mean I should switch the rig into the off position when storing so nothing slowly bleeds the battery?
- Black water flush connection for use only when the tank is in the open position...when you connect the hose to the flush attachment, does this just fill the black tank or does it force a spray into the black holding tank to actually do some cleaning?

Thanks,

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
fernsco, on the Battery, yes-maybe. With the battery disconnect in the off position it is my understanding that there are still some low level drains on the battery, but I have not checked to confirm or see what exactly does not get dis-connected. I believe the smoke, co2, and propane may still be on.

On the back flush, there is force spray (based upon the water pressure that goes into the tank). If the drain is not open and you walk away you stand a chance of finding any or creating leaks in the tank. If you are lucky and do not get a leak, the black water has no where to go and will fill the stand pipe until it starts running out the top and down the side of your Monty.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ditto on the battery On-off switch.

For the back back flush, I always stand outside and monitor the flow through the clear elbow. I will let the back flush work with the valve open until I see that the water flow is fairly clear. Then I close the valve and time it for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. depends on water pressure, and then open the valve again. You'd be surprised what little surprises you will see flowing down. (Sorry for the graphics) I repeat the procedure until I see relatively clear water flowing. If it is my last flush before I get home I repeat until the flow IS clear.

Just what I have been doing and it seems to be working fine.

No S#@(&$!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is my understanding that if you turn your battery disconnect to "off" the battery is totally disconnected. The tank wash line is exactly that. It sprays water into the black tank to wash it out.

Some of us use an additional step to complete the tank washing. That is to close the black tank discharge valve and let the tank wash fill the black tank for up to 5 minutes, then open the valve and dump it again. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS: DO NOT LEAVE THE VALVE CLOSED FOR LONGER OR RISK RUNNING YOUR BLACK TANK OVER. DO NOT LET ANY ONE OR ANY THING DISTRACT YOU DURING THIS PROCEDURE. It may not run out your vent pipe. It may overflow into your commode room. The mess made is a tough clean up job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The landing gear and slides are powered ahead of the battery disconnect switch, so they remain operable with the switch OFF. There is absolutely no other reason for this beyond it was just cheaper to install it that way, avoiding having to run the battery cable from the shutoff back up to the batteries on the way to the fuse panel. The smoke detector and CO2 detector are self contained battery operated only, with no connection to the rig 12V system. The LP monitor shuts off with the switch.

Keep in mind, if you connect to AC, all of your stuff will come back on, even with the switch OFF. It ends up being powered through the converter.

There should be a small 1 page flyer on your flush system that is stuffed in with all your manuals, however this does not seem to be consistent.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks one and all for your continued help as we continue to become more familiar with our rig!
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote